WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 AM

Hails from Italy
Boy with guitar

Hello everybody. This is an oil on canvas, 29cmx80cm.

I would appreciate any comment, and hints on things which may seem wrong and my eyes can't see. And, by he way, the guitar is MY guitar ...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 09:17 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada
Re: Boy with guitar

Hi billo, welcome here! You are from a wonderful country I see.

I very much love the pose and the colours in this portrait. You are asking about the eyes. Maybe breaking up that fold and line under the eye on our right, so it is not so solid, would help. Also, breaking up the solid divisions of the shadows and light areas could also help keep this from being as hard edged and flat and help it be more contoured like the face is as it changes plains. Blend edges and break up those solid divide lines are my advice comments. Also, increasing the warms and glow like effect on the shadowed side of his face seems to be something I'd want to do if this were mine.

I like this and I think the shirt is amazing! You did a great job at keeping the pattern subtle and not the main focus. I also personally Love the shirt! The hair works really well too. From what I can tell here the hand is also very well done and toned back, receding it yet still making it important, that is all working well.

Jocelyn

Thanks for sharing!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Dana Design

Excellent advice from Jocelyn! I can't add anything to that other than to say well done.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:40 PM

Hails from Italy

Hi Jocelyn!
I agree 100% with Dana: great advice. Breaking dividing lines , blending edges ... it seems so obvious, now! I'm glad I posted.
And, by the way, thanks for your nice words about the shirt. I'm a weekend painter, and it took me so much time to go after all those patterns I almost regretted the choice.
Thanks a lot again for your time to you both.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:30 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi billo,

Welcome to the Portraiture Forum.
I love your Portrait, and Jocelyn has given you some great advice. I just love the shirt, and the hair is also great. This is a wonderful Portrait, and i do hope you will be posting more for us.

Val.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

The format and pose are just wonderful. I just really like this - very very nice!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
My Home

Hails from Pakistan

Very nicely done.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

That shirt is amazingly well done! There is so much wonderful detail in the protrait but you've kept is nice and subtle.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 02:05 PM

Hails from Italy

Val.: thanks for your nice words. For now, I think that I'll work a little on the lines, blending, etc, and then I'll rest. I'm an occasional, week-end painter, and I feel exhausted after that shirt !

Anita, Maria, Ann: I'm glad you liked something about it. The 'boy' is my oldest son, and this is going to be my birthday present to him. Since I doubt he will be thrilled at receiving a canvas, I'll stick a couple of Euro bills behind it ... . However, I hope one day he will like the painting as such, too.