Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing CRI not matter if I get a warm and cool lighting?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Misspris

I am looking into getting better lighting for my painting area. From what I’ve gathered the best light is one of around 5000 to 5500K and a CRI above 90.

I’m looking for a portable clip on lamp, as I want to be able to clip them on my little portable sketchbox so I can paint on the my couch, bedroom, or my desk. Most of these clip on or portable lights (that are small enough) are LEDs with a CRI of 80.

So my thinking is I can get one light at 38000 to 4000K and one at around 5500K, I would have a good balance of both warm and cool lighting. These little lights are usually dimmable, so I could play around with the brightness of each light depending on what I’m painting or going for at the time. If i have both lights on at the same time, I should be able to render the full spectrum on my painting and mixing area. So the CRI of each light individual doesn’t matter, if I use them in conjunction with each other. Or is my thinking flawed and regardless of having one of each color lightening if the CRI is low, it still won’t render true colors.

Am I correct in thinking like this, or no. I don’t know much about the technical aspect of lighting, so I can be way off.

Misspris

Almost 200 views, and nobody can give me any input???

I’m sure there are enough people who have good experience with lighting their painting space, that someone could chime in, please.

Perhaps the way I stated my question was confusing. If anybody needs clarification, just ask.

Thank you.

OK

When I built our house I built in north facing windows and that’s where I paint.
                Unfortunately most of my painting time is in the evening so I have to use lights, the easel is illuminated by large 5000k fluorescent tubes set into the ceiling. What ever I’m painting is lit by warm candescent PAR Cans with barn doors and dimmers. Non of the lights will have a high CRI.

The light from the north window and the flourescent tubes are close enough for me. How I light the subject has the greatest effect on the painting
                The light that the painting will be displayed under also has a great effect but we can not control that.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                — Allen Ginsberg
                Are you ready for a Journey?
                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

contumacious

You can use different temperatures to ‘mix’ one in between, but your shadows will be different colors if that matters.

For a clip on light to work well it needs to extend fairly far out from the painting surface, otherwise the steepness of the angle can be problematic with reflections and shadows. Ideally you want the light at 35 degrees from the surface, from the top and behind you, or if that won’t work, then from the side. Every small LED clip light I have seen had a very strange color cast to it, so be sure to either see it in real life first or buy from a source that allows you to return it easily if you don’t like it.

I gave up on clip lights and went with a pedestal mounted light or a swing arm light with some good bulbs in them. The pedestal lights are easy to move to wherever you are in the house, but not good for away from home. You would need a clip on for that. The swing arm lights work great in a permanent spot on a desk or nightstand or even mounted to a wall. They are cheap enough you could have one in your most used locations.

Swing Arm Desk Lamp on Amazon

Another one smaller one with a base and a bracket

Simple gooseneck floor lamp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.