WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: Spring is here!

I totally understand. I did exactly the same thing with a sunset painting that my daughter taught was a masterpiece. She wanted it framed and it cost $200. Luckily most of my paintings are recycled right now. (think catch and release if you are a fisherman ). But when I get better at this I will stick to the standard sizes.

"beauty is God's handwriting - a wayside sacrament" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! I love the way you did the bee.

As for standard sizes and pre-cut mats, you might think about getting a basic mat cutting system. I often cut my own mats especially if a crop is needed or I worked to an odd shape, then lay it out within a standard frame size outer dimension so I don't need special framing.

The mat cutter I bought is the Logan Team System 2 - just a guide rail and slant head cutter, from Blick. It's quite inexpensive as mat cutting systems go but it does the job. I think the new version also comes with the straight cutting head that I had to order separately. Some frame shops will sell mat boards too. It's not that hard to cut mats, you mark it up on the back side and cut from behind so it comes out looking good on the front.

More expensive systems have measuring built into them and a board that the cutting rail is mounted to. They're a little easier to use but I was happily surprised at how well the bare bones inexpensive system works. If you're not cutting hundreds of mats you don't need one of the expensive industrial scale ones.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Chicago, IL

Hails from United States

Thanks Robert. Appreciate the info about mat cutters. I have thought about it in the past and may well end up getting one.

Generally though, I get mats from Michael's with the 50% coupons and they end up being very cheap. They are also the white core ones as opposed to cream core at other places. Still doesn't solve the problem of custom sizing, so yeah, I have the mat cutter on my long list of art supplies.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 AM

The bee is great and for some reason I really like what you did with the background!