Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design empousser –French for "push"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am looking for a discussion of the compositional idea of “empousser” in which there are two large forms (usually trees) on each side of the foreground more or less blocking the eye. Then, in the middle, there is a vista of midground and distance. The term, which means “push”, is used, as I understand it, because it was thought that the lateral forms pushed you into the landscape. You can also say that the two forms squeeze the landscape out (It seems to me.) I used the term with an artist friend and want to send her a reference to the concept. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks,
    Richard

La_

a common and very useful tool, this ’empousser’ term, tho i call it a ‘welcoming triangle’ tool ’cause i’m not french. it’s used voraciously in landscapes (as paths, rivers, fields, etc.) , cityscapes (roads, crowds, buildings, etc), still life works (objects, placements and angles), tho it’s generally encouraged to avoid placing it dead centre (horizontally or vertically), the ‘rule of thirds sweet spots’ being preferred. it’s a huge aid in adding depth, aka perspective and the necessary illusions of 3d on a 2d surface.
        google [drawing] perspective and/or composition and you could read for days.

la

Interesting comment, thank you, but I’m asking has anyone spotted the word “empousser” in print somewhere in the English literature on composition or the history of composition.
        Richard

SnapV

I don’t know about that concept but, as a native French speaker, I have to tell you that “pousser” means push, not “empousser”. “Empousser” is maybe an archaic term but it currently doesn’t mean anything, even in art lexicon (and I searched…)

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

Anonymous

… I’m asking has anyone spotted the word “empousser” in print somewhere in the English literature on composition or the history of composition.
                Richard

Hi Richard,
                It is not a recent thread, but I never heard about “empousser” before. Yesterday I stumbled upon the correct term in an article on the Brueghel exposition in Vienna. The term is repoussoir.
                There is a lot on google under that term. For a starters.

:wave:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.