WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Site Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kentucky

Hails from United States
Why don't WC reference photos look the same as print outs?

I printed out one of the reference photos on WC (it's the carnations / dianths photo in the flowers section), and the print out looks SO much better than the image that shows in my browser. I'm using Firefox in Linux Mint 11, if that helps. It would be nice to just view the image my browser as I'm drawing (less paper waste, less clutter).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Why don't WC reference photos look the same as print outs?

Your printer has a dpi of 300 or more, your screen has a pixels per inch of less than 100. You could import the large version of the picture to your computer then view it full screen in a graphics program.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kentucky

Hails from United States

What I meant to ask is this. The colors of the printout look a lot different than the large version of the image I was viewing in my browser. The resolution is fine. The printer is an HP Officejet.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Ah! You need to calibrate your printer driver and /or your display. You need to download a calibration image, you can get one from photobox.co.uk and they will send you a print.

Now adjust your display settings to display the colours correctly and print on photo paper. Now you will see if your printer driver requres adjustment. If you delve into the printer settings there is usually a facility to.adjust things.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

every monitor is a bit different.

every printer is a bit different

the way the light hits the physical print affects how it looks

an exact reproduction with that many variables is unlikely

is the lighting in your studio optimal? daylight corrected? balanced? neutralized?

Often the paintings I do at college look different in my soft mint green living room.. and better in my studio...or dull in my Naples yellow dining room (with the weird chandelier)

and wait til you take something to a gallery or museum and see how different it looks there under their lighting!

an example is any painting you look up on the internet under 'images' will vary considerably from post to post, it is just the way life is, however the previous suggestions are your best solution, try them and see if it helps.

life is good

Greg
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia

I've noticed too that Firefox is incredibly bad at displaying images correctly. As an experiment I opened the same image in Firefox and Chrome and it looked terrible in Firefox while in Chrome it looked normal.