Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub The River Sticks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greenhill
        Actually the Ovens River is full of sticks.
        If only Odysseus could have crossed it by train to save
        his bride, Eurydice, then he would have cheated the Ferryman!
        :evil:

Night Train by Mark Greenhill[/url], on Flickr
        Click “Night Train” to size and view exif

MY FLICKR
        OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
        The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Mark. I looked at your exif information . It appears that your shot was taken at 9 pm. I like all the deep colors in this composition but am trying to figure out how the large tree on the right in illuminated so much.

I am also amazed of the length of the passenger cars . You must not have any sharp turns on your tracks, those cars would be derailed for sure. You ride these V-line trains too, correct?

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

damar

Hi Mark!
            I love the velvety colors of night shots!
            I’m thinking the tree is lit up by flash,
            giving this an almost “model railroad” look!
            If the color bands on the concrete supports are any indication,
            it looks like this river had been pretty high at times.
            (always the little details…looking for the story!)

As an aside; do you have mosquitoes near rivers at night?

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
            Photos are ©2021
            Greenhill

Lorell, yes, it was taken at 9:00pm, but one day later than the exif data. That’s because I need to update the time in the camera which I must have entered incorrectly when I bought it, very slack of me.
                As you viewed the exif data you should have noticed that is says, “Flash ON, fired”, which is why the RHS tree is illuminated. The flash used is the tiny clip on that comes with the M1-MkII. In spite of its size it’s a powerful little beast when set to max. I suppose the cars are quite long, I hadn’t thought about it before, but all Australian railway cars are much the same length, and the locomotives that service the NE Victoria line pulls three of them. the wheels of course are on bogeys that swivel slightly on bends, just as they do on a top of the range toy train set. And finally yes, that is the train that I travel on to Melbourne.

Patty, Yes, the Ovens River rises several feet, even as high as two or three metres when it floods, which happens every once in a while. You are very perceptive, during summer there are mosquitoes by the river at night and as I live in shorts, sandals and T’s at this time of year, I got bitten rather badly when I took this shot – but someone has to do it, right? :lol:.

MY FLICKR

That’s a good flash unit you have there, Mark.
                Fact really is that in summertime it is in reality, only 8 o’clock. Though the clock doth lie.

Greenhill

That’s a good flash unit you have there, Mark.
                    Fact really is that in summertime it is in reality, only 8 o’clock. Though the clock doth lie.

The clock is merely an arbiter of time, invented by industrialists to enslave their workers!
                    Yes Peter, the little clip on flash that comes bundled with an OM-D is quite a powerful little beast. :thumbsup:

MY FLICKR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.