Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hiya~! I hope this is the right section to post in. if not, hopefully someone will direct me elsewhere.

I really need some help with a new project I’m starting.
    ok. I am doing some pencil & ink drawings on tracing paper which I want to then make collages/overlays with. they are going to be glued inside a journal/book.

the problem is…every glue I have tried either wrinkles the tracing paper or doesn’t dry.

I’ve tried Golden clear tar gel [wrinkles the paper], rubber cement and paper
    cement [both refuse to dry]. I need something which dries relatively fast, also
    the glue has to be clear [or dry clear], not wrinkle, and be acid-free.

so…is it the paper I’m using? is there some alternative to tracing paper which
    might adhere? or can someone recommend a glue? any paper which has a transparency similar to tracing paper will do fine. what I’m using now is 25 lb. with about 70% transparency, I think.

I’m going to be carrying the book with me, so I need a really simple process.

advice appreciated! thanks~~

Alice

You’re probably going to have some problems with wrinkling just because the paper is so thin, no matter what you use. However, the drier the glue, the less you will have the problem, so I’d recommend a good acid-free glue stick, like UHU brand.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam – easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam – easy as 1-2-3

madster

Try the adhesives in a spray can.
        3M makes a good acid-free one that is repositionable (low tack) for about 5 minutes after you spray it on, then it sets and becomes permanent.

~M

Madster
        Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Guide

I think that tar gel may be a bit to unique a medium for this. What about something like heavy gel medium, or a good archival bookbinders glue (lineco or even rice glue). Would Yupo paper be viable?

I like the 3m spray glues but they will discolor in time and there is some degeneration of materials after 20 years or so. I have some tracing paper works done in college that are brittle and heavily yellowed.

Rubber cements will turn even more yellow over time and border on brown. If you want to use rubber cement you would well advised to glue each piece, allow them to dry and then attach to each other after the glues are totally dry. (much like contact cements) The excess can be removed with a rubber cement “eraser”. In time (20 years or better) the glue will be a bit brownish.

What about something like YES glue, UHU Glue or even Bond glue (PH neutral but not archival). There is a glue that is used to attach canvas to board that is PH neutral but may or may not be archival as well but for the life of me I can’t remember the name at the moment. Seems to me it has a clever name like “grippy” or “gunk” or something like that. When I think of it I will post it.

If archival is not an issue, Xyron makes a dry application glue that might work well. There are also graphic supply glues that come in sheets that can be transfered to tracing paper as well. Comes in various sizes and is very easy to use.

There are also some PVA glues that might work if you are patient. Apply glue to the tracing paper, apply to the book page. Then cover with wax paper and a piece of glass or board and weigh it down until dry. Even the thinnest application may take a while to dry.

Good luck

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

I think that tar gel may be a bit to unique a medium for this. What about something like heavy gel medium, or a good archival bookbinders glue (lineco or even rice glue). Would Yupo paper be viable?

I like the 3m spray glues but they will discolor in time and there is some degeneration of materials after 20 years or so. I have some tracing paper works done in college that are brittle and heavily yellowed.

Rubber cements will turn even more yellow over time and border on brown. If you want to use rubber cement you would well advised to glue each piece, allow them to dry and then attach to each other after the glues are totally dry. (much like contact cements) The excess can be removed with a rubber cement “eraser”. In time (20 years or better) the glue will be a bit brownish.

What about something like YES glue, UHU Glue or even Bond glue (PH neutral but not archival). There is a glue that is used to attach canvas to board that is PH neutral but may or may not be archival as well but for the life of me I can’t remember the name at the moment. Seems to me it has a clever name like “grippy” or “gunk” or something like that. When I think of it I will post it.

If archival is not an issue, Xyron makes a dry application glue that might work well. There are also graphic supply glues that come in sheets that can be transfered to tracing paper as well. Comes in various sizes and is very easy to use.

There are also some PVA glues that might work if you are patient. Apply glue to the tracing paper, apply to the book page. Then cover with wax paper and a piece of glass or board and weigh it down until dry. Even the thinnest application may take a while to dry.

Good luck

Heavy gel might cause wrinkling, but a soft gel might work…I think I will give that a try. And I’ll look up the rice glue. I have no clue since I’ve never done bookbinding. Thank you for your suggestions! :cool:

Guide

I used some of the glues mentioned and got these results.
                Bond is thick white glue
                blue glue is an acrylic emulsion based glue
                heavy gel applied very thing to the surface seems to hold well and not wrinkle the tissue thin tracing paper.
                Xyron dri-bond glue worked fast and easy.

Very few wrinkles on any of these. Did apply it to a scrap of mat board so I didn’t ruin a good piece of paper.

"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

hmmm…the heavy gel looks good. I’ll just need to find an applicator bottle to put it in.

Guide

I used something very sophisticated. My fingers. Seems to have worked great.

I used something very sophisticated. My fingers. Seems to have worked great.

lol! okay. ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.