Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Bavarian Village Chapel – WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

My computer (or its battery) is dying and I am taking in for repair tomorrow. I decided I better post this today if I would like a little help with my plan on this work. I am no good uploading from my iPad to Wetcanvas.

I am partially through the process of a new painting. My goal is an 11×14 oil painting. As I am combining 3 references for this painting, I wanted to work out some issues digitally and in acrylics. As acrylics dry so fast, you can make endless adjustments. Tomorrow I may do an 8×10 oil study to test some colors.

C&C welcome. Gary

Acrylic sketch shown here before
    [ATTACH]871157[/ATTACH]

Digital Manipulation of the sketch
    [ATTACH]871158[/ATTACH]

Color Acrylic Draft 8×10
    [ATTACH]871159[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Ohiohawk97

I like the acrylic draft Gary. The clouds really look great in this one as well as the trees and church.

Wes

Reddyman

Hey Gary,

Thanks for showing your progress stages for this piece.Great colours and I love the path leading into the scene as well as the subtle light and shadow effects.

Excellent job.
            John

Bizzibee

Well if that is the draft the finished painting is going to be wonderful! Look forward to seeing it, and hope your computer is fixed. I, too, have not mastered uploading from and ipad.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Dorrart

This is coming along nicely. Very nice job on that dome and the church perspective.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Aussiesrus

Such a delightful composition with an inviting lead in path which perfectly balances the church steeple. Well Composed !
                        The less saturated, lighter values in the 2nd captures the light in a beautiful, harmonious way & is my favorite for those reasons.
                        Well Done Gary !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                        https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                        I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

RandyP

Hi Gary,

Very Nice work. I really like your digital manipulation!

Randy

Thanks Wes. I like acrylics when I am fumbling for answers. I can keep adjusting the work and easily gesso it over if all fails.

Thanks John. I am trying to be more thorough in my approach to painting. The jury is still out on whether that will help.

Thanks Trudi. It was a fading battery and I am happily back at the key board.

Thanks David. Onion domes are very difficult for me. I am glad you feel this one is working to some degree.

Thanks Michael. I will keep your remarks about less saturation in mind as I move to oils. My acrylic paintings tend to be more saturated. The medium is slightly milky when wet and clears when drying. Colors become darker and more saturated as they dry. I do not always adjust enough for that fact.

Thanks Randy. I do not picture myself to be a digital artist so I can just cut loose when painting over an imported sketch. It is a fun, free way to test ideas. And, the clean-up is so easy.

Thanks Gary

"Painting is a verb"

oldnmartist

I can appreciate your dedicated approach to “solving” the painting.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Reed Jones

I like your initial acrylic sketch a lot. Interested in your thoughts re: adding the two trees to the foreground. Will be great to see the final oil painting!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

Thanks Oldnmartist. I think the “solving” is the enjoyment.

Thanks Reed. I wanted the trees to be stepping stones into the picture. I decided the one on the right was too large and served to block the viewer out. I am working with the revised crude digital image below. I will make the pink tree on the left larger than the one on the right. Working digitally I can add or hide layers. It helps me get over my fear of adjusting a design.

Thanks again to everyone. Gary

[ATTACH]871217[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Arnie

Interesting approach Gary.
                                        Like the movement in the final digital sketch and the change to the tree, but i prefer the brightness in the acrylic.
                                        All the best for the final piece.
                                        Arnie

Thanks Arnie. I hope I will learn from the expanded and varied approach. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

These are all looking great Gary. Love the last digital, I also still love that first sketch.

Heather AKA Lucy12
                                        https://www.heatherrossbach.com
                                        https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
                                        https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Dcam
                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.