Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Ink as a paint?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cwilliamson

So I’ve discovered that I really enjoy using acrylic inks in the same manner as watercolor paints? But I also use a nib to pull and guide the ink around the paper. It feels more..organic and I like the effect.

What do all y’all think? Is that wrong?

Clark

oldey

I like it! As a watercolor painter I see it as a similar path. As an artist I don’t think there are rules about how you create art. There are rules created by art societies and art competitions to participate in their activities but do you care about that? Just do what you love. Throughout time artists have followed their own path and not followed the norms of the moment. So create and have fun!

I am glad that you have successfully done what I was thinking about. I may use a brush on some acrylic ink in part of mine.

cwilliamson

Thanks Oldie, I do enjoy it and will continue. I think I enjoy it more than watercolor work which is surprising. Artmarkie, I think what I like most is when I’ve put a layer down and I dry it it stays put since it’s acrylic and I can add another wash over it without fear of lifting the previous layers. I’ve been using the Dr. PH Martin Bombay inks though I really like the W&N inks because they are transparent but unfortunately they are’t color fast so make it, scan it, and print it so I’ll stick with the Martin ones for now I guess.

Clark

Anonymous

Well it is not pen & ink – the name of this forum.
                    Pen & ink as a medium is fundamentally founded in drawing the use of line , while your art is good I do wonder whether anybody clicking on the pen & ink button would be specifically interested in such work.

cwilliamson

Technically I used a nib and nib holder to pull the pooled ink into the leaf masses, scratch the fine lines and branches in so technically it’s both. If you feel that it doesn’t belong here that is your opinion but since it doesn’t belong in mixed media (because it is just ink) and I did use pen and ink I’m not sure where it should go. Where would suggest?

Clark

Anonymous

Technically I used a nib and nib holder to pull the pooled ink into the leaf masses, scratch the fine lines and branches in so technically it’s both. If you feel that it doesn’t belong here that is your opinion but since it doesn’t belong in mixed media (because it is just ink) and I did use pen and ink I’m not sure where it should go. Where would suggest?

Clark

Well that post starts out with the word “Technically” & yes “technically” you are right, but such work is not really in keeping with the spirit of P&I as it is generally understood.
                            However the funny thing is that if it had been done in any one single colour of ink ,then it would undoubtedly have been universally accepted as a totally legitimate part of the noble tradition of P&I without hesitation by all ! :confused:
                            At the end of the day I look forward to seeing more of your ink work here ! :)
                            Mike

Clark, sorry I missed this earlier.
                            I also use Acrylics in w/ colour style and I regard them more as paintings than pen and ink, even when incorporating pen work!

It’s still ok to post here but I’d suggest you’ll get more appropriate responses in the Acrylics forum, because the style of your work is more as a painting, using liquid masses rather than line work, exploring that technique.

I like your experiments here, the freedom and expression …. see you over in Acrylics!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Well it is not pen & ink – the name of this forum.
                            Pen & ink as a medium is fundamentally founded in drawing the use of [B]line[/B] , while your art is good I do wonder whether anybody clicking on the [U]pen & ink[/U] button would be specifically interested in such work.

I hiiiighly disagree with that. Jim lee is one of the most famous INK masters of the 90’s and he does very few lines, mostly brushes and paper towels embedded in ink.

If peopel really want a lien only forum then this should be renamed LINE work, and take all work based in line (even if digital). If the forum is media based.. then the media is the definition.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Anonymous

I hiiiighly disagree with that. Jim lee is one of the most famous INK masters of the 90’s and he does very few lines, mostly brushes and paper towels embedded in ink.

If peopel really want a lien only forum then this should be renamed LINE work, and take all work based in line (even if digital). If the forum is media based.. then the media is the definition.

Jim lee DOES use line & plenty of it ! he does make extensive use of blocking in those lines in ink using the typical sharply defined classic inking style of flat black shapes but his exquisitely drawn lines whether blocked in as outline or left as pure line can in no way be compared to the “lucky accident” loose technique of painting with inks wet on wet with varying strengths of wash, not in the least.
                                When people come to the P&I forum, not unsurprisingly, they most of all want to see P&I work ! :wink2:

Mike

cwilliamson

Wow, I really didn’t expect this to become a hostile thread. I simply meant to share some art.

Mike, Yes, Jim Lee does amazing line work but he also uses whatever tools will allow him to create the panels quickly and efficiently because that’s how he makes his money from them (from the videos I’ve seen).

I don’t like your phrasing of “lucky accidents” like my work is splattering paint wherever. The rolls of paper towel I go through lifting ink when it doesn’t go where I want would say otherwise.

If you don’t like my work ignore it. Don’t click the link. If you see my name then move on. You also seem to be the only one posting on this saying it doesn’t belong. You even said it would belong if it was one color so I really don’t know what your issue is.

I’ve already had a lovely message with Maureen regarding where I should post and I won’t post this style here any further. You seemed to come here for an argument and I’m done with it.

Good day sir,
                                    Clark

Anonymous

There is no hostility from my direction Clark,not at any point – please read it through again . I would like everyone to post their artwork here on WC, just on the appropriate forum where it will be most appreciated :)
                                        Mike

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.