Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Red Tailed Hawk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    tmwilliams

When you see one of these on the ground, they’re impressively large. They’re beautiful birds, but everything goes to ground when they’re around – even the cats and small dogs.

I wanted to give one a try. Trying to interpret browns and whites was a challenge. I’m not sure what I think – but I don’t hate it. :clear:

C&C welcome. It’s small – 10×7, on Arches 140lb cold using DS tubes.

Thomas

Kaylen

You did a great job on it’s head, Thomas,,one of those guys was standing in the grass in my side yard not too long ago, and didnt fly away as I would expect, I got the camera out in time to watch it fly away with one of my chickens

Kaylen Savoie
            https://www.savoieartist.com/
            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

tmwilliams

Thanks, Kaylen. They are impressive, yes! Sorry about the chicken…

Thomas

Thomas, really like your version of the red tailed hawk. I see them flying around my area and once one landed on my air conditioner and saw how big it was, couldn’t take a picture since it flew away too soon.

LIL

rossmarie

Great job with the head and eye – a mean looking fella! Probably bigger than I imagined if they can take chickens. I don’t hate it either Thomas; you really are very good at painting birds.

Mike :) :thumbsup:

Lawrence Fox

A really nice job.

We have lots of them in our area. I love watching them ride the thermals and coasting along; the one thing I haven’t seen yet is one stooping down to grab a meal.

I have however, seen a pair of smaller birds dive bombing a hawk in concert mid air, chasing it away from their nest. It was an amazing sight to see!

Lawrence Fox Thornhill, ON
                        “Try not. Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'” -- Yoda

“ I have never failed; I have, however, found ten thousand ways that don’t work”. :lol: -- Unknown
                        See my LinkedIn profile or follow me on Twitter: @TheWizardGuy

Kaylen

Once while hang gliding a red tail thermaled up to me and checked me out at my wingtip, that was pretty cool,

Kaylen Savoie

FrankM

Love your careful detail on the bird’s “face” with a looser balance of the painting. Well done!

FrankM

Bill

Like the others, a great job on the head. They are the dominant predator bird in my area.
                                    Bill

Be kinder than necessary

ndyna

Thomas, your practice is really paying off, beautiful bird. I think the head and beak look sensational and body of the bird looks great. I’m curious about the choice you made for depicting the legs . The legs on these birds look super strong and in the pose that you depict, I think they would be at least in the same plane as the head and would stand out not blend in. The red blue and green drips on the left hand side are also somewhat distracting for me. Please take this with a grain of salt knowing that I’m no expert, merely trying to learn and understand how others process this information.
                                        Keep up the good work !

Dhana

"Do or do not. There is no try"- Yoda

patrikeev

Great job!

tmwilliams

Thomas, your practice is really paying off, beautiful bird. I think the head and beak look sensational and body of the bird looks great. I’m curious about the choice you made for depicting the legs . The legs on these birds look super strong and in the pose that you depict, I think they would be at least in the same plane as the head and would stand out not blend in. The red blue and green drips on the left hand side are also somewhat distracting for me. Please take this with a grain of salt knowing that I’m no expert, merely trying to learn and understand how others process this information.
                                                Keep up the good work !

Hi Dhana,

I appreciate your feedback. I’m certainly no expert either…

The image comes from a photo found on the internet. He is posing in an awkward position…his legs and tail are positioned faithfully to the reference. He will go the the burn pile nonetheless as many people (in my Facebook feed) saw it as “off”.

The dripping color is me experimenting with different ways to create a background. I really like and admire Dean Crouser’s work and am playing with different ideas borrowed less skillfully from him.

Thomas

tmwilliams

Thanks, Mike, Lil, Lawrence, Frank, Bill, and Patrikeev!

I appreciate the encouragement.

Thomas

Kaylen

I have to admit that I wondered also why you didnt paint the legs , but I feel that I am always the negative guy so I didnt mention it..Thomas dont burn it,,,burn the reference photo,,,In general ,and IMHO at a certain point you have to put the photo away and look at what you actually have on the paper and work with that,,,your birds are really pleasing to look at

Kaylen Savoie

FrankM

… IMHO at a certain point you have to put the photo away and look at what you actually have on the paper and work with that,,,your birds are really pleasing to look at

^^^ That ^^^

FrankM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.