Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil pricing of pencils vs. painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Artist1987

Hi

I have not found a lot of art galleries selling colored pencil. Is it still true that oil paintings command way higher prices at the same size?
        What would be a market price for a 20 *30 inch piece in realism?

I heard that some artists pin their hope on the newer, improves lightfastness to significantly up prices.

One problem i see is that colord pencils take more time ,especially in bigger canvas sizes due to their small size.
        This problem is without a solution,in my opinion.
        The size of the artwork party determines size with infamous artists.

If your focus is produce average level art and makemoney by quanitty and base value.. you cannot defeat painting.

If you want to make moneywith CP you need to go PREMIUM level result and charge way more. TO charge more when the base price of oils is already higher you need a great work.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Artist1987

If your focus is produce average level art and makemoney by quanitty and base value.. you cannot defeat painting.

If you want to make moneywith CP you need to go PREMIUM level result and charge way more. TO charge more when the base price of oils is already higher you need a great work.

you mean that good color pencil work costs more than an oil painting?
            thanks for your input.

i wonder how premium oil work compares to premium pencil work in realism.
            because realism is probably the only genre where i see roughly similiar results.

Good art cost more than average art just that. You can make something good enough to compensate for the difference in base cost.

But Oil painting of same quality will be evaluated at a higher price. If you get famous, then the media is not that relevant and your name become far far more important.

The only exception I think is digital art that unless it is a comission it usually is worth less ( peopel do not liek the feeling thta there is no “original”).

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

eonworks

Hi
                What would be a market price for a 20 *30 inch piece in realism?

One problem i see is that colord pencils take more time ,especially in bigger canvas sizes due to their small size.
                This problem is without a solution,in my opinion.

I can not imagine doing a 20 x 30 inch realistic CP drawing. It would take forever. I would probably get repetitive strain injury fairly soon from drawing in such large format. Do such large realistic drawings even exist?

oo yes.. they do http://junkhost.com/file/2016/06/i-created-large-hyperrealistic-pencil-portraits-of-my-family-8.jpg

http://momentsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dino-Tomic-realistic-pencil-drawings-74866.jpg
                http://junkhost.com/file/2016/06/i-created-large-hyperrealistic-pencil-portraits-of-my-family-2.jpg

Artist1987

oo yes.. they do [url]http://junkhost.com/file/2016/06/i-created-large-hyperrealistic-pencil-portraits-of-my-family-8.jpg[/url]

[url]http://momentsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dino-Tomic-realistic-pencil-drawings-74866.jpg[/url]
                    [url]http://junkhost.com/file/2016/06/i-created-large-hyperrealistic-pencil-portraits-of-my-family-2.jpg[/url]

yeah but these examples are technically bad, in my opinion. Photorealistic paintings of that size look way more realistic.
                    These paintings in the links still look like drawings and not like photos if you have a partly trained eye.
                    Besides, it probably takes way more time to do a drawing of that size than a painting due to the size of the tip.

i have not found any information on the prices of colored drawings

eonworks

oo yes.. they do [URL]http://junkhost.com/file/2016/06/i-created-large-hyperrealistic-pencil-portraits-of-my-family-8.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://momentsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dino-Tomic-realistic-pencil-drawings-74866.jpg[/URL]
                        [URL]http://junkhost.com/file/2016/06/i-created-large-hyperrealistic-pencil-portraits-of-my-family-2.jpg[/URL]

My goodness that’s amazing! I would not have the patience to do that.

Artist1987

My goodness that’s amazing! I would not have the patience to do that.

that is the the reason why i think about the reasons for doing it?

It takes way more time. It looks not photorealistic ( the second one) .It is probably more expensive in materials due to the amounts of pencils used and it brings less money.
                            Why not do it in paint?

yeah but these examples are technically bad, in my opinion. Photorealistic paintings of that size look way more realistic.
                            These paintings in the links still look like drawings and not like photos if you have a partly trained eye.
                            Besides, it probably takes way more time to do a drawing of that size than a painting due to the size of the tip.

i have not found any information on the prices of colored drawings

And why lookinglike drawings would make them bad? There is a lot, and when I say a lot I say really a lot… that consider that if your drawing just looks like a photo.. it is not worth to be looked at.

In fact if you do a large drawing that looks just like a photo or an oil painting a potential buyer could ask with in all its rights.. why didn ‘t you do it in oil instead if you wanted it to look like an oil painting?

Just rendering something with high detail is NOT where you are (usually) going to achieve quality that make speople consider your art great. High detail rendering is just a tool that you use to build your drawing, as is a hammer to build a desk. The hammer if well used can be used to make a great desk, but can you do a good desk using ONLY a hammer?

Even hyper realistic drawings, they are only great when they can show something that you usually would not be able to see with aphoto or with your very eyes, due to speed of time, impossible conditions or expressive exageration.

I would pay way more for a simple monocolor scketch by glenn vippul than I would pay for a huge hyper realistic drawing that mimics perfectly soemthign thatwas captured with a photo.

Uderstand soemthing, people are not going to pay you more because it was HARDER for you to do it. The fact that it was harder will usually be unknown for them and even if its known does not bring anything else for them. You will sell your drawing on what the final result is, transmits and how it is understood by the buyer.

Artist1987

And why lookinglike drawings would make them bad? There is a lot, and when I say a lot I say really a lot… that consider that if your drawing just looks like a photo.. it is not worth to be looked at.

In fact if you do a large drawing that looks just like a photo or an oil painting a potential buyer could ask with in all its rights.. why didn ‘t you do it in oil instead if you wanted it to look like an oil painting?

Just rendering something with high detail is NOT where you are (usually) going to achieve quality that make speople consider your art great. High detail rendering is just a tool that you use to build your drawing, as is a hammer to build a desk. The hammer if well used can be used to make a great desk, but can you do a good desk using ONLY a hammer?

Even hyper realistic drawings, they are only great when they can show something that you usually would not be able to see with aphoto or with your very eyes, due to speed of time, impossible conditions or expressive exageration.

I would pay way more for a simple monocolor scketch by glenn vippul than I would pay for a huge hyper realistic drawing that mimics perfectly soemthign thatwas captured with a photo.

Uderstand soemthing, people are not going to pay you more because it was HARDER for you to do it. The fact that it was harder will usually be unknown for them and even if its known does not bring anything else for them. You will sell your drawing on what the final result is, transmits and how it is understood by the buyer.

we had a misunderstanding. i thought that realism was actually the only genre in which colored pencil can compete with paintings.
                                There is a market for these photorealistic arzworks ( not judging their artistic value).
                                That is why i wondered if a drawing of that size beats a painting.

we had a misunderstanding. i thought that realism was actually the only genre in which colored pencil can compete with paintings.
                                There is a market for these photorealistic arzworks ( not judging their artistic value).
                                That is why i wondered if a drawing of that size beats a painting.

To be highly realistic you do not need to make it impossible to see it was a drawing. Art is not black or white, there is a lot of grey (and yellow and blue ) tones in between. A paitning or drawing have a lot of space between hyper realism and abstract painting.

You can make a very realistic paitnign or drawing that still shows of as a painting or a drawingafter you pay attention. In fact most artists do nto like their art to be called photorealistic (it is kind of diminishing it.. for many). Si there a market for it?

YES, there is a market for ANYTHING that you do very well! And there lies the trick. Use the technique or medium that allows you to do your best work, because a great work on ANY STYLE or medium have a better chance of sale than a mediocre work on ANY other medium or style.

Artist1987,

The closest I can come to an exact price quote is to tell you that I sell colored pencil and oil portraits for the same price and that the price is always based on size.

The largest colored pencil portrait I’ve done is 20×24, but I’ve also done a couple of 16x20s.

Both are older, but at today’s prices, the 16×20 would be $900 and the 20×24 would be $1,100. That price is just for the artwork.

I’ve been doing portraits for 40 years and I haven’t raised my prices in five years or so.

If you’re just starting out, you need to build up a body of work that gives you credibility as an artist and that shows potential collectors what you’re capable of producing.

Expect not to sell your work for a lot of money. Concentrate instead on producing the best work you can and making customers happy. Happy customers are going to be your best source for future work.

Carrie L. Lewis
                                Helping You Create Art You Can be Proud of with the Colored Pencils You Love
                                http://www.Carrie-Lewis.com/

This is the key to the discussion. Selling art has far less to do with the type of art, the medium, or the difficulty in doing it.

It has everything to do with name recognition.

That’s why I suggest to new artists that they concentrate on improving their skills, learning their mediums and tools, making the absolute best art they can make, and finding people around them to paint or draw for.

Start with your local market, then expand little by little. It will take time, but it’s far better to build a career and a name as an artist this way.

Above all, do what you love. Draw the subjects you love with the materials you love in the way you love drawing and pay no attention to market or art trends. If you have the passion and motivation to create in a certain way, people will see and come to you.

If you do things for which you have little or no passion, people will see that, too, and probably not pay much attention to you.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way and over the course of years. Don’t make the same mistakes I did.

Carrie L. Lewis

Artist1987 and others,

The thing we colored pencil artists need to remember is that the value of art is not based on the cost of our materials or time or effort.

The value of art is based on what someone is willing to pay for it.

Right now, almost any kind of painting (oils, acrylics, etc.) is perceived to be more valuable than any kind of drawing on paper (graphite, charcoal, colored pencil, etc.). Why?

Who knows? Maybe because they see that something is drawn with graphite or colored pencil and they think of the colored pencils their school age kids are using for homework. We know there’s a world of difference between school grade colored pencils and professional grade colored pencils, but most people do not.

But I do know as an artist and as a former gallery director that there is a difference between paintings and drawings in the eyes of most people who look at art and among most who buy art.

I’ve also heard from more than one artist that some galleries won’t even look at colored pencil art and that some will refuse work they love when they learn the medium is colored pencil.

Acrylics went through the same thing. So did watercolors back in the day.

What we need to do is to be constantly educating the art buying public. I’ve already outlined some ways to do that (use the best tools, make the best art, etc.)

I also think we also need to be aware of how people perceive colored pencil art and to be always looking for ways to explain our tools and methods.

Above all, creating artwork that speaks to people, that connects with them on some basic level, is also a great way to get them to look past the medium and see what you’re doing as art: Not as colored pencil art.

Carrie L. Lewis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.