Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum What Are The Disadvantages Of Lead White?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Nomad Z

There seems to be an endless/cyclical debate about whites that aren’t made from lead, which goes into various potential issues that these paints might have, but I don’t recall seeing much about the lead white that they are presumably considered to be alternatives to.

Putting aside the toxicity aspects, does lead white have any particular issues from a painting perspective?

I don’t mean the pricey stack process flake white, but the common or garden stuff that’s presumably made from industrially-produced PW1. Does it go brittle, delaminate, over-tint, under-tint, turn brown, go transparent, eat the canvas, explode, etc?

Ellis Ammons

Just posted the same thing on the other thread.. https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/20490/12.Mecklenburg.SCMC3.Mecklenburg.Web.pdf

It’s been shown that lead white can strengthen an entire painting when used as a ground. Ions migrate to other layers and bond. Also it’s been shown to significantly strengthen brittle paints like burnt umber if you add as little as 25%. Paints with active metal ions are much stronger than paints without them like painting on umber toned gesso.

Also it dries fast. That maybe a plus or a minus depending on your style.

I’m not even so sure as to the toxicity of it. I fish with lead sinkers all the time..

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
            oil and acrylic paintings..

Gigalot

You can try Garden stuff Lead White paint and then inform us how can it performs!
                As for me, I alway use fingers, fingernails and whole palm to paint with oil. Also, I use oil paint inside living room. However, I am widely informed, that Lead ions can improve Raw Umber paint due to a lack of normal metallic ions content in such kind of paints (unless it contains 25% of manganese oxides). That Umber will sunk, lost of binder and finally goes to powder or grease film formation. I have four ways to solve such trouble:

1. Add another metal into Umber. (Powdered Copper or bice – manufactured blue copper carbonate for example)
                2. Add properly drying paint into Umber
                3. Add Alkyd medium into Umber
                4. Use Acrylic paint for underlayer. Acrylic do not need to follow fat over lean; do not necessary to have metallic ions into the paint; it is flexible and it dries quickly. :) Solvent free as well.

Tom Murray

Just posted the same thing on the other thread.. [url]https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/20490/12.Mecklenburg.SCMC3.Mecklenburg.Web.pdf[/url]

I fish with lead sinkers all the time..

It has been suggested the accumulation of lost lead sinkers can pose a toxic threat to some water fowl.

Ellis Ammons

It has been suggested the accumulation of lost lead sinkers can pose a toxic threat to some water fowl.

If it was a problem where I live someone would write a law against it. People looove to write laws. Lead pumped out of car exhaust is more of a problem. Not to mention all the critters and people that are run over every day. Why are cars not being banned? Why are people looking for something wrong with what others do when they themselves are part of a much larger problem.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                        oil and acrylic paintings..

WFMartin

What Are The Disadvantages Of Lead White?

Actually, none that I can think of. It is the most useful, durable, mixable, applicable, compatible material that one can apply to an oil painting, in my opinion!:D

Of course, hand-mulled White Lead Carbonate is the best, and its ropy consistency was used by Rembrandt to create many of the jeweled, and brocade effects that his paintings display. Many of the commercial Lead White paints do not exhibit this unique consistency that allowed the old masters to achieve the effects that they did.

Lead White has a rather transparent quality similar to that of Zinc White, but without the disastrous weakness, cracking, and flaking, attributed to Zinc White. Lead White is actually one of the strongest, in terms of paint films.

Relatively fast-drying, transparent, durable, ropy consistency when hand-mulled; what more could an oil painter want?:lol:

When creative entrepreneurs begin realizing that there is a market for it, and once again begin making it, and offering it for sale at affordable prices, I will be one of the first to begin using it, even if it is a black market item. Until then, I will continue to seek out Titanium Whites that exhibit much the same characteristics in handling that hand-mulled, Lead Carbonate White does.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

AnnieA

Actually, none that I can think of. It is the most useful, durable, mixable, applicable, compatible material that one can apply to an oil painting, in my opinion!:D

Of course, hand-mulled White Lead Carbonate is the best, and its ropy consistency was used by Rembrandt to create many of the jeweled, and brocade effects that his paintings display. Many of the commercial Lead White paints do not exhibit this unique consistency that allowed the old masters to achieve the effects that they did.

Lead White has a rather transparent quality similar to that of Zinc White, but without the disastrous weakness, cracking, and flaking, attributed to Zinc White. Lead White is actually one of the [I]strongest[/I], in terms of paint films.

Relatively fast-drying, transparent, durable, ropy consistency when hand-mulled; what more could an oil painter want?:lol:

When creative entrepreneurs begin realizing that there is a market for it, and once again begin making it, and offering it for sale at [I][B]affordable prices[/B][/I], I will be one of the first to begin using it, even if it is a black market item. Until then, I will continue to seek out Titanium Whites that exhibit much the same characteristics in handling that hand-mulled, Lead Carbonate White does.

I’m just curious, Bill, about whether you’ve ever tried any of the Flake White replacements. I’m familiar with the Gamblin and W&N versions, and they seem nice enough, but since I’ve never used an actual lead paint, I have no idea if they’re considered an acceptable substitute and would love to hear your thoughts. I’m also curious if you’ve tried either Holbein Ceramic White (No CI – Strontium Titanate) or Williamsburg Porcelain White (PW5 – Lithopone) and if so what you think.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

koumk

None, except price-toxicity (but who cares about toxicity.. just use common sense) but you can always make your flake white in a very affordable priceusing the stack process

for the user of Lead White Replacements are just replacements

Kostas

Gigalot

Lead White has a rather transparent quality similar to that of Zinc White, but without the disastrous weakness, cracking, and flaking, attributed to Zinc White.

I will be even glad to find any of such attributes of Zinc White on my paintings, but can’t. :crying:
                                        I can understand people who read too many and too much Tumosa-Mecjlemburg articles about Zinc White decompositions, but I can’t do anything to make them happy with that. You will be quite disappointed with my Zinc White paint layers. There are nothing to be cracking, flaking or weakeness. :confused:
                                        Artists can continue to use Titanium-Zinc White, as it is a good regular white, whiter than Lead, less expensive, non-toxic and finely opaque.

Pinguino

The opacity of paint depends, among other things, on the different indices of refraction of the pigment particles and medium. Over the long term (how long, I don’t know), a linseed oil layer will slightly increase its index of refraction. Thus, the difference between cured oil film and its suspended pigment particles will decrease, and the paint layer will become more transparent with age.

This effect is most pronounced when the pigment’s index of refraction is relatively low (for a solid pigment), and less noticeable when the pigment’s index is relatively high. The index for PbO is much lower than for TiO2. Thus, paintings with PbO as the main white, may reveal dark underlayers with age.

Probably not a concern. If your art is that valuable centuries from now, then some museum can always restore it.

TiO2 whites often have some amount of ZnO added, to improve how the pigment interacts with the medium. Although some complain about ZnO, it does not seem to be a problem when used in small quantity. It would be interesting to see if a TiO2-PbO blend combined the durable opacity of TiO2 with the drying and film properties of PbO, but I doubt if any manufacturer would bother (more likely get complaints both from TiO2 and PbO fans).

PbO paint, depending on manufacture, handles differently on the brush, compared to TiO2 or ZnO. whites. But it is possible to change this using additives.

WFMartin

I’m just curious, Bill, about whether you’ve ever tried any of the Flake White replacements. I’m familiar with the Gamblin and W&N versions, and they seem nice enough, but since I’ve never used an actual lead paint, I have no idea if they’re considered an acceptable substitute and would love to hear your thoughts. I’m also curious if you’ve tried either Holbein Ceramic White (No CI – Strontium Titanate) or Williamsburg Porcelain White (PW5 – Lithopone) and if so what you think.

Well, as someone has mentioned, there truly is no “replacement” for Lead White. However, if one is only interested in experiencing one, or perhaps two of the characteristics of Lead White, Zinc White demonstrates a bit of transparency, probably even more than Lead White. But, that is only if one wants to risk the possibility of its reported cracking, and flaking as it ages.

In terms of handling, I actually ran across a Titanium White that exhibited a stringy, ropy characteristic much like hand-mulled Lead White. That brand was Fragonard, by Pebeo. I actually don’t know if that brand even exists any more. I think that Pebeo still makes paint, but I’m not sure about their Fragonard line.

The Fragonard was bound in all sorts of oils that I generally avoid like the plague. As I recall, it included Safflower Oil, Sunflower Oil, and Poppyseed Oil, to name a couple. However, even with all these slow-drying oils, that paint seemed to dry at an acceptable rate. It was probably laced with all sorts of driers to cause that to occur.

Anyway, I used that Fragonard Titanium White up, and it was probably one the best imitators of Lead White, in terms of handling that I’ve ever experienced.

At present, I use Art Treehouse White (Titanium) from The Art Treehouse. It seems to be a bit more transparent than most Titaniums, and it does tend to be just a bit ropy.

Oh….and, no, I have not tried either Gambliln’s or W & N’s “replacement whites” for Lead White.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

wal_t

I will be even glad to find any of such attributes of Zinc White on my paintings, but can’t. :crying:
                                                    I can understand people who read too many and too much Tumosa-Mecjlemburg articles about Zinc White decompositions, but I can’t do anything to make them happy with that. You will be quite disappointed with my Zinc White paint layers. There are nothing to be cracking, flaking or weakeness. :confused:
                                                    Artists can continue to use Titanium-Zinc White, as it is a good regular white, whiter than Lead, less expensive, non-toxic and finely opaque.

I do the same and often use a mixture of titanium and zinc white and experience no problems at all with it. I will not use very expensive and toxic lead white as I see only disadvantages and I do not trust the arguments against the non/much less toxic whites like titanium and zinc. I do not miss lead white :wave:

tidal

Only thing I ever read was something about lead white powdering of…however as long as you don’t eat it ..your’e good to go and plus a painting is varnished sealing in any thing.Was thinking about lead white due to the many articles about the brittleness of zinc…maybe do some small practice pieces using different said whites see how they fair

the M.H stack lead white made with using horse dung and vingegar or something is like 250ml for nearly the price of an arm and a leg lol eating into the profits lol

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

TomMather

If it was a problem where I live someone would write a law against it. People looove to write laws. Lead pumped out of car exhaust is more of a problem. Not to mention all the critters and people that are run over every day. Why are cars not being banned? Why are people looking for something wrong with what others do when they themselves are part of a much larger problem.

Serious lack of knowledge here. Lead was banned in gasoline many years ago, and this is one of the huge successes of environmental regulation. Since the ban, lead levels in the environment and organisms (eg, humans) has dropped precipitously — particularly in urban environments. Lead was also banned from shotgun pellets because they can be ingested by fish and other creatures and accumulate in the environment. Lead was banned in paint because it was widely used inside and outside of dwellings. Paint chips would accumulate in soils around old houses and buildings, and there are many instances of children getting lead poisoning from eating paint chips from furniture and walls (which apparently have a sweetish taste). Lead is a very serious poison for humans and other creatures. At higher levels it can kill you. At lower levels, it can lead to brain disorders, lower intelligence and other problems.

Will using lead paint cause you problems from oil painting? Probably not, unless you eat it or use techniques that get paint all over your hands or create dust. However, there are many legitimate reasons why lead has been removed or banned from most products, and it’s a good thing. I am very satisfied to use titanium white and other alternatives.

TomMather

FWIW, Gamblin makes a non-toxic Flake White Replacement that contains no lead. Supposedly it mimics the characteristics of the real thing without the hazards. Why not give it a try? I have a tube. I haven’t used it much but it definitely had a “ropey” consistency.

https://www.gamblincolors.com/getting-the-white-right-by-robert-gamblin/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.