Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters anyone do Diebenkorn?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    moochachanyc

i know when one refers to Masters it’s not usually someone who died 25 years ago, but i love his work and want to try it. i’m particularly interested in the Ocean Park series. i haven’t seen an actual painting and i’m wondering if it is canvas or panel? it almost looks cut.

Humbaba

The description of two of his paintings read: Oil on canvas. So I must assume the one you posted in also oil on canvas.

ronsu18

this was an inspiration, thank you! it’s #68 and oil on canvas.
                if you google his name plus ocean park then click images, it’s easier to find exact info on an image. didn’t know i liked this direction in abstracts. what a treat!

C&C welcome

JCannon

I’ve seen his work. It’s LARGE. So if you are going to do Diebenkorn, be prepared to shell out for canvas.

I used to be a great admirer. But my old art teacher, Bob Stoller, went through a Diebenkorn phase, and I felt that the influence was detrimental to his own style. So now I have mixed feelings about Mr. D’s work.

moochachanyc

i found a close up of another painting in that series. it’s glorious. i want to beat up the canvas with gesso or ground or something like his before i paint. can you oil paint on acrylic gesso? or is there something else i should use?

ronsu18

there’s not much traffic in this subsection. have you browsed wetcanvas home page and the possibilities here? when you have a question about oils, find the technical forum subsection here in oils. there’s a forum for acrylics as well. should you have questions on using charcoal in/on oils or acrylics, post your questions in oils/acrylics to hear from the most seasoned experts. you might be so kind as to start with googling, let’s say “wetcanvas sealing charcoal on acrylic painting”, see that the dates are this side of 2010 and read those hits first :). i’m a beginner and have never built supports/studied priming, so no advice from me i’m afraid.

i found diebenkorn’s “10 rules when beginning a painting”. have to print them or find a way to have them on the studio wall.

here’s a few words on his technique from conservators:
                            http://www.conservators-converse.org/2012/06/40th-annual-meeting-psg-session-may-9-relating-artist-technique-and-materials-to-condition-in-richard-diebenkorns-ocean-park-series-by-ana-alba/

C&C welcome

moochachanyc

thanks for all your advice and taking the time to post :)

i’ve looked a bit online and can’t find anything that seems definitive, some places say yes you can, others say you shouldn’t. ground vs gesso, 3 month drying times (what?), we should only ever paint on canvas that’s been mounted to an inflexible board (what?). anyway. i posted in the dick blick forum earlier, thinking they would know the most about the products, and was told to post in the oil forum. i found a thread on adding gesso to a pre-primed canvas if you wanted less texture but the thread was closed. i would have asked about what kind of gesso etc.

oh well.

moochachanyc

just to follow up, someone from dick blick responded to my question in the dick blick forum and said that you can apply more acrylic gesso to a canvas that’s already been primed with acrylic gesso. i looked up the canvas (art alternatives classic cotton) and it was. so i’m good!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.