WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:20 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... July 2018

Thanks, Marcia. You are a very dear unmet friend! I think I'll call the doc tomorrow morning and ask him if I can see him sooner than August.

#92   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

mosc, I know how hard it is to capture that magic afternoon sun with a camera, but I can imagine how it must look. If you don't want Muffin to wake you, start feeding her a late evening meal of kibble. That way she won't demand that you feed her first thing.

Becca, sounds like a fun evening celebrating with your friends - worth braving the heat!

Marcia, Nancy's right, you're just going to have to suffer with all those requests for you to exhibit. Poor you. (You deserve it. )

Nancy, you're in my prayers...and I'm sending cooling vibes too, just to cover all the bases. Didn't you get a new AC installed a while back? Isn't it working? Try cool showers to cool down your body - it doesn't last a long time once you get out but during the shower it's lovely. Drinking plenty of iced beverages will help too.

It was in the 90s here yesterday (the day my fan chose to break ), and about the same today. Actually, although the forecast was for a few degrees cooler today, it actually felt hotter. But my figure painting class is in a bldg. w/o AC, so that might explain it. I sure hope the weather people got it right and it really will be cooler tomorrow. Pearl doesn't like it either, she's been lying all spreadeagled in her hide-out under the wing chair.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-17-2018 at 01:22 AM.
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

What is your temperature outside?
We have 90 F. Same tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
start feeding her a late evening meal of kibble.
First time I hear about this. Do you use it for Pearl? Do you know any brand? How about, how can I get it? I never heard anybody using it around here but I'm interested.

I've been wondering if it's proper to publish an oil painting portrait of a one-year-old even if his parents have given permission to do so? Am I doing wrong for the kid? I mean he can not decide now if he wants his portrait on Internet but maybe when he's 20 yrs old he doesn't like that I've published it 19 yrs before and it's on Internet. You know what I mean.
So I've been painting a portrait of a one-year-old kid. Still need to work on some areas but in a way I'm happy with it so far. My portraits are very realistic and this present one looks like the model meaning he can be recognized. I had a chance to make a life painting of that kid while we were looking after him the other evening. Painting a kid life was quite a challenge, he was crying non-stop. The present portrait I'm doing from a photo I took a breath moment when he wasn't crying.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Annie, I think I might try Pearl's cooling idea, if I can just find a chair that's tall enough for me to get under. I'm cooler today, and so far, I've had no hot flashes. I think my problem might lie with the big dessert I had at the restaurant on Sunday - I should have asked what the ingredients were before I ordered it.

I love you and Marcia for your prayers, and I really think they help me (and my brain) tremendously!

Today's cryptoquote really made me think today, especially about how brilliant our forebears were:

"We promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld.

#95   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

mosc, I hope you survive the heat. Anything over 80 is way too much, IMO. Yes, I make sure Pearl's bowl has kibble in it in the evening before I go to bed. Works like a charm. Kibble is just another term for dry food. I'm sure any kind of dry food would work, and dry food has the added benefit of being very good for pets' teeth. If you try it, let me know how it goes - I find it lovely to be able to sleep in now that I've started the late-night feeding. Because Pearl started refusing any food kept in the fridge and opening up a can only to waste more than half of it was just too expensive, I've gone to all dry food for the time being. One thing to remember is that dry food will make a pet more thirsty, since it won't be getting the moisture that wet food provides, so it's important to keep the water bowl or fountain filled.

About the oil portrait, I'm thinking that as long as you didn't identify the child by name (or use any other identifying info) it should be OK. By the time the child is older the image will probably be buried under such a pile of internet data that he/she will never know. That is, if the planet lasts that long. But I shouldn't be the last word on this - let's see what everyone else says.

Heh, Nancy, yeah, Pearl can tell that getting as low as possible is where the coolest air is. I might try it too. I'm glad the prayers and vibes are helpful. The cryptoquote was thought-provoking. We aren't so philosophical today as we were in the past - too bad, really.

I've moved forward with my figure painting - a great leap, actually. There's a lot still to do and I may not finish (once again) but I'm happy with it so far.
https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=49

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#96   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hi Oilycats!!!

Looks like I forgot to submit my post this morning, it is probably still sitting unposted on my iPad.

Nancy, glad you are feeling cooler today. What possibly was in your dessert that could cause hot flashes? It would be good to know so I can avoid it too. My new favorite dessert is 2 scoops of lemon sorbet (and yesterday, a shot of lemoncello, because it was one of those days), into a glass and top it off with sparkling water (Trader Joe's mineral water in my case) OMG, so delicious and refreshing! I had bought 2 pints of safeway brand sorbet (lemon and rasberry), and they were so flavor concentrated, I could hardly eat them. In soda, it is perfect! I think I will try the raspberry next.

It is 101º F here right now, a few degrees cooler than yesterday and at 22%, half the humidity, which makes all the difference. I am still sitting in front of 2 fans, but it isn't bad at all. I guess I am adjusting, and will need to take my sweater when our hiking group goes to Big Bear tomorrow. The temps there are supposed to be 77º. I might catch a chill! There is a 40% chance of rain there tomorrow, but I am willing to take my chances!

#97   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 05:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Annie, your figure is coming along! Good idea to remove the dark lines. I have had stuff like that distract me too. And it invites (un)helpful advice from others who don't realize it is temporary.

My older cats don't wake me up in the morning to be fed, but I am afraid it might be different with Marvel, at least until she is out of her 'teenage' years.

I used to have a cat that would not eat food straight out of the fridge. I used to microwave it 8 to 11 seconds (it varies oven to oven, and what type of dish you use) just enough to get it to room temperature. Years ago, I had a vet that said canned food was 'junk food', and back then he may have had a point. Now I buy a premium food (Wellness) and I think I read somewhere that cats need a little canned food in their diet.

When Marvel showed up, Mel gave me 2 extra cans of friskies that she had, because Marvel was so starving, she needed a can a day (she is now kitten roly poly and down to a 1/4 can). Ugh, the stench! Not so bad when first opened up, but after a few hours in the fridge with a lid on, it was just disgusting. Then Mel gave me 10 cans of Natural Balance that had been donated to her pet rescue. I appreciated the savings, and it doesn't smell nearly as foul, but I will be happy to start her on the same brand as the other two.

She is still living in the studio/library, and getting visits in the rest of the house under supervision, at least until she and Skeezix stop with the hissing and growling. Oddly, little Marvel is the one who growls and postures the most. Skeez puffs up, but mostly just stalks her, and isn't isn't aggressive at all.

Last edited by mtpalms : 07-17-2018 at 05:13 PM.
  #98   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 05:26 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, hope the hot pops are gone for good...as I have heard from my doc, some things we can never really know the cause...

Mosc...don't worry, if the parents are ok with it you have permission.

Marcia...take a jacket...lol...

I'v been out in the intense heat here the past 3 days...not esp intentional each time but has happened and think I'm getting used to it a little...but ready for it to cool back down a bit.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #99   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I'm hoping, too, Becca. And I think we're all looking forward to some cooler air. We had a shower this morning that cooled it down for a couple of hours, but then the sun came out again, and steamed it all up!

Marcia, I don't digest milk and cream well; Sunday's dessert, apparently, was packed with it. I don't feel as bad as I did Monday, so I think I'm gradually throwing it off. The AC is okay; it was just me. Your trip looks like it will be nice, and I hope you don't get too chilly!

#100   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:25 PM
A WC! Legend

No painting for me again today. Mel, the person I share the space with, had to put one of her dogs to sleep, but still had to come over and work. She just wants to be alone, and I don't blame her. She is happy to have Marvel for company though!

I had no idea dairy could cause hot flashes, hope I am immune! and I am glad it was only a temporary reaction.

I agree Nancy, I love summer storms, but when the sun comes back out, Woooh! look out!
  #101   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Just popping in to say hi. I hope you all have a splendid day!
  #102   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Annie, ok, thanks for declaring it's dry food. Yes, I give her dry food too and lately been trying give it at night. But we're having a different kinda problem ... the story is too long to write here.

Thanks for your wise thoughts about publishing matter. You are right that's how it goes most likely. Good idea not to use kid's name.

Becca, thanks!
Marcia, 101 F. that's too much!

Off I go to a nap .. this heat!!!
  #103   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:39 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Strangely, Marcia, while I get sick if I eat ice cream, but I can eat Braum's Orange Sherbet. When I visit MA to see my daughter, I can manage sherbet there, too. My granddaughter inherited that particular genetic weirdness from me, too.

One of the interesting things about solving cryptoquotes is that while you're working out the solution, you're absorbing the meaning as you work.I ended up thinking that today's puzzle was directed at me, too!

Here 'tis:

"Age wrinkles the body; quitting wrinkles the soul." -Douglas MacArthur

Today we're having a no-rain day, but it's overcast and there might be some coming...if it doesn't come before dark, I'm taking my hose out to the roses.