Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters Caravaggio in Flemish way.

• This topic has 27 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by L.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Gaiden

Hi!
        For my second attempt with oil painting I want to try to make a copy of “Giuditta e Oloferne”, a great Caravaggio’s piece.
        This time I don’t want to follow the Caravaggio’s approach but I want to use the Flemish way: grisaille and velaturas.

here some pics
        Mdf 80×60 primed with homemade ground Vinavil+Chalk+water+titanium white: 7 coats for a smooth surface.

Drawing with a soft graphite pencil, then covered the draw with a coat of ground very thinned whit water (to seal the drawing)

Toned surface with a mix of Burnt Sienna and Umber
        Then I started grisaille with a mix of Mars Black+Cobalt blue hue (just to cool it a bit) and titanium white

begin with deep darks

Now middle tones and lights…

I’m using a medium made by Gamblin Galkyd+Linseed oil (Galkyd dries too fast)

So, what do you think about??
        Critiques, questions, observations, etc, are welcome :thumbsup:

highwaykind

Looking forward to more updates, this is going to be great!

CC/Corrections welcome

G.D.

nice work man! the flemish way, i like that idea. ;-)
                can’t wait to see more

g.d.

Gaiden

steps forward.

I decided to change underpainting for human bodies, so I prepared a “verdaccio” with Maimeri Terre Grezze d’Italia “Terra verde di verona”, MTGI “Terra bruna di Firenze” and Titanium white.
                    I used this mix for the underpaint of Oloferne.

well, what I learned by? I learned that these MTGI are not so good: pigment is mixed with marble-powder and it’s not easy to develope a good paint-layer.

So I think that “Giuditta’s underpaintig will be made with Schmincke Mussini Green Heart.
                    And bye bye Maimeri! :)

Gaiden

more steps of Oloferne’s underpainting..

Gaiden
                            maryinasia

looking good!

Gaiden

finally the underlayer is complete!

I’m sorry but I lost other pics :(

the I chosen my palette for start glazing.

Lead White Hue (schmincke)
                                    Lemon Ochre (Ferrario 1919)
                                    Indian Yello(michael harding)
                                    Raw Umber (michael Harding)
                                    Lacca di Garanza (Maimeri, old serie from ’70)
                                    Rubin red (Schmincke Norma)
                                    Vermillion hue (Schmincke Mussini)
                                    French Ultramarine (Schmincke Norma)

and here the very first glazing

I think that my deadlayer is too dark…:o :o

let me know your ideas!

Gaiden

uhm… a lot of looks but a few replies.
                                        :confused:

MDerby

Well for me, it is hard to know what to say exactly. So far its just a masters class in indirect painting. I wish it were on video. I don’t have a clue how to do this and I am suitably impressed. It is hard enough to paint a picture once, but to do it repeatedly takes real determination. I am looking on from afar and enjoying your progress. Keep going and please keep posting. I do have one question. Is your lead white drying quickly, and did you need something that opaque? I use no driers and my lead white is touch dry in two days.

The craft is an art in itself. http://www.mikederby.com

Gaiden

the underpainting was realised with titanium white (schmincke norma) and it dries to touch in 24hs

For the colouring I will use this Flake White hue: I never used it before, so, I really don’t know its drying-time.
                                                sure, I’ll need some opaque color, expecially for fabrics and some skintone.
                                                (I think that my grisaille is too much dark :( )

Gaiden

another step.
                                                    focus on the drape behind. I worked with a more thick paint for balance the too dark underpaint.
                                                    Colors used: Mussini Vermillion Hue, Mars Black and a hint of Yellow Ochre Ferrario 1919.

MDerby

It looks brighter and you did not completely obscure your underpainting. It is impossible to tell from a small digital photo but the underpainting does not look too dark from 8000 miles away. However, the value does look better after you glazed it.

The craft is an art in itself. http://www.mikederby.com

Gaiden

first glazing for fleshtones.
                                                            I’m trying to obtain 3 different complexions

The male figure’s glaze is vermillion hue+indian yellow
                                                            The youg woman’s glaze is pure vermillion
                                                            the old lady is vermillion+raw umber

It is looking very good. How much time you spent until this first flesh layer?

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.