WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Do you Do it Standing up* ~Or~Mostly Sitting down*

aRH DAVE sO your doing it tough OVER YOUR WAY , tHIS IS CRAZY !!! can I just say I will throw a coin in the wishing well here and hope you dont have to sell all that furniture or come at burning any of your Lovely drawings for that matter ... apparently you english man like a good fire ....

I seem to remember once seeing a photograph of a 19th century atelier group all standing at right-angles to the line of sight to the subject. I wonder why?
Geoff

oH OK Geoff sounds interesting to say the least , I will post a pic from school it will show you how we all stand around the live model ....its a more semi circle of sorts , not sure but I guess most artists are right handed then say the odd Leftie Like mE .... yES leftiesS rOCK THE UNIVERSE ...what more can I say

Last edited by lovin art : 05-13-2012 at 02:25 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Do you Do it Standing up* ~Or~Mostly Sitting down*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirants
I don't have a preference as such. That doesn't mean am versatile. I mostly prefer standing because it helps me use my elbow and shoulders for freer movement and strokes. Like others have said, when standing I can step back and look for possible improvements better. Depending on the pose, I sometimes prefer sitting on a horse i.e. when I find the view from below interesting, perspective shapes and all. While sitting, I find the chances of errors are more because with time I might have a tendency to slouch on my back changing the perspective slightly....

....oops! Were you referring to drawing/painting ??

You Know it Kiran ...... Yes I ment just long both lines for sure I mainly do more drawing then painting atm ... but yes both

I feel the Standing thing is from my point of veiw better in lots of things ,some being~ control ' the thrust of my arm as I swipe that page and I sometimes dont always understand my drawing approch but for me standing back and staring looking at my subject and not just racing in is more important in making better judgements , not always , but mostly
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistOz
I prefer standing its the most flexible position sitting does restrict your movements I got great flowing lines drawing with my body standing, these days I can't stand for long so need to sit.

If you look at the old photos you see a mix of standing and sitting I was surprised how often students in the really old days sat for drawing. We had the same, standing for painting and sitting at times for drawing. One teacher always arranged the donkeys in a semi circle for the class to sit on I dont why as only three of us keen ones out of fifteen would show up for his classes, we often had to draw the easels stacked in the corner.

I was surprised in reading Tony Ryder's book he sits for his long drawings. I think you concentrate better sitting, standing has too many distractions, just a theory?

John Peter Russel was a student with Van Gogh and writes about how Vincent by his vigorous movements would throw paint everywhere even on the ones nearest him. You can see the advantage in having your own space.

Hey BIll , Im not sure I do have that book of his and while its fab you know my thoughts (didnt we have this discussion one other time ~~ .... I cant really comment on that , maybe K can for you being his teacher I think , I know my teachers here do both , I think its just what ever grabs you at the time , it for me plays on my mind and kinda makes me feel lazy for the most part to sit ... see we really are all different are we not !!!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno
Glad you cleared that up!

I always sit to draw.
Two reasons
1 There is not enough room for easels at the place where my LD group meets.

2 Even if there was, I couldn't take mine to the group because I'm on 4 rush hour buses each day and for some strange reason the drivers and the other passengers don't like easels on the bus! And my easel is on sort of permanent loan to a gallery because there's not enough room to leave it up at home either.

Jonathan.

Well J , I was being Completely innocent here Wasnt I , yes ok I was ...must go bury my head completely after reading this ...

I say get thee up and drawing , at least give it a go .... you will feel invigorated I think ....

Last edited by lovin art : 05-13-2012 at 02:55 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada

I rather like *doing it* in just about any position (from standing on furniture right down to sitting on the floor). Getting an odd perspective & dealing with heavy foreshortening is lots of fun.

Sitting on the floor is probably the least comfortable - my feet tend to go to sleep; standing on things like the couch is probably the most precarious (but I haven't fallen off yet).

This one was done from standing on the couch:

and this one from the floor
That one turned into a difficult experience, because we turned it into an encaustic, which took a lot of sitting on the floor (for me), and a lot of really boring modeling time (for the model).

When I'm working alone, I tend to stand at the easel, or sit on stool at a desk for smaller stuff.

Cheers;
Chris
Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Hia Chris ... Long time no see , nice to see you posting and for wanting to yap TO this Oz ...

Love the drawings most fab ....I like how you give consideration to the model ... there has to be that inner connection I feel .... I give my all when I life model it has to be as so ....cheers for sharing!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast
Wellington

Hails from New Zealand

Cripes, looking at your pic of the school it must feel very cloustrophobic for the model! Mind you, being totally surrounded by a bunch of Sandras could be kind of fun!

It is interesting though that nobody at my normal LD group stands or uses an easel, but in every other group I have ever been to there were people standing at easels. I must ask around and see why. I don't recall any conversations about it either.
I think that probably there would be some who would do so if it was a bit easier. We are only one group of many who hire the room and there isn't any cupboard space available big enough to store easels. It is a central city location with poor access to parking so it is dificult to bring one each time.
For me, on crowded peak hour buses even an A3 art satchel is awkward.
And this discussion has made me realize that this particular group more people draw on A4 paper than any group, and I don't think I've seen any using bigger than A3.

I modelled at a different group about a month ago and one artist drew on brown paper from a roll and the drawing I saw afterwards was roughly half life size.
(And spread out on the floor!). I think from memory that she was standing and her paper was flat on a table when drawing.

Jonathan.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Crikey , J , you know how to make a girl blush .... I think the world can only handle one Special Me .... Once Im gone there isnt anymore

Glad you liked seeing the Pic .... For me its mostly drawing on size A2 it is a pain in the ass to cart , but I do it for the Love of drawing and Learning ...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada
Re: Do you Do it Standing up* ~Or~Mostly Sitting down*

Thanks Sandra - I love dropping in here just to see what's going on (though I don't often say much). I especially like seeing how you're growing as an artist.

Jonathan - I regularly use large brown Kraft paper (2 ft. x 3ft, sometimes larger) cut from rolls. It's great for pastels, chalk, conte and is dirt cheap (about 3 or 4 cents per linear foot at 2 feet width). (Last year about 1200 feet)
Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell.brobeck
Thanks Sandra - I love dropping in here just to see what's going on (though I don't often say much). I especially like seeing how you're growing as an artist.

Jonathan - I regularly use large brown Kraft paper (2 ft. x 3ft, sometimes larger) cut from rolls. It's great for pastels, chalk, conte and is dirt cheap (about 3 or 4 cents per linear foot at 2 feet width). (Last year about 1200 feet)

Wow Chris , thats a wonderful thing to read ... I am the reason you drop by , you must drop in more often , or at least post some of your great art fro us all ... your wisdom/unique style shows in your drawing ...
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: Do you Do it Standing up* ~Or~Mostly Sitting down*

standing at the easel for life drawing, portraits from life, landscapes and still lifes, sitting down to do live portrait sketches at markets etc, and in my studio I sit as there isn't much room and if I'm working from photo reference.

Mac