Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Materials The Paper Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    knippes

Hi everyone,
        Our wonderful mods helped me figure out the best way to create a thread all about paper. This is intended to be a reference thread that will be easily search able regarding many different aspects of the pastel papers which we love and/or hate. We would like to know what you really like about a particular paper and what you absolutely despise about a particular paper. We’d like you to be specific and use photos if you can.
        This thread is going to be in a Questionnaire format, so please copy the questions below into your reply. That will make it easier for folks using this thread in the future to research. You certainly don’t need to answer each question – just the ones that pertain to your experience. If I have forgotten anything that you think should be included, please pm me.
        If you have particular likes or dislikes about your pastel paper – this is the place to post it. If there is a particular color paper that works best for portraits, this is the place. If you want everyone to know that the “dots” on Canson drive you nuts – post it here. Please keep in mind though, that as this is intended to be a reference thread and will eventually go into the library, we’d like to keep the posts on topic and keep the thread easily researched.
        -Kym

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer):
        2. Paper Color:
        3. Paper Compared:
        4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced:
        5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold?
        6. More or less dust than other papers?
        7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other?
        8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it?
        9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why?
        10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why?
        11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there?
        12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end?
        13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last?
        14. What does this paper do better than other papers:
        15. What it does worse:
        16. Is there a specific problem with this paper?
        17. Do you have a solution to this problem?
        18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for?
        19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords?
        20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper:

knippes

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Art Spectrum Colourfix
            2. Paper Color: Black
            4. Your experience level: intermediate
            5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold?: I used 5-7
            6. More or less dust than other papers?: Medium Dust
            9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? Unison worked best when blending – all others had the black paper color bleed through badly
            10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? Rembrandt and the extra softies all blended away when blended with finger pressure
            11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? Paper – no advantages or disadvantages for my use
            12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? I don’t spray
            13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? Pastels weren’t chewed up
            14. What does this paper do better than other papers: It doesn’t tear up your fingers when blending as does Wallis etc.
            15. What it does worse: The dust on this paper does not blend nearly as well as does LaCarte. Also when blending with a Colourshaper, it makes a lot of mud. Please note that when I’m blending, I’m using the Ponting method, so there is a lot of pushing the color back and forth.
            16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? When using light colored pastels on a black background – the black shines through, no matter how many layers I put over.
            17. Do you have a solution to this problem? I used a couple of layers of Colourfix primer over top of the trouble areas and that helped a lot. I used clear primer (simply because I couldn’t get the lid off the white)
            19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? I did my first steaming experiement on this paper and it failed miserably. It didn’t fix the dust at all – but it undoubtedly was something that I did wrong.
            -Kym

Thanks, Kym, for doing this for us! This should be a very helpful, informative thread.

Colorix

Great thread Kym!

Umm, can I ‘review’ the same paper?

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Colourfix (ArtSpectrum)

2. Paper Color: Natural, Australian grey (a pinkish mid-light grey) and terracotta

4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: Two years of pastelling makes me, what? Intermediate.

5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? Up to 10.

6. More or less dust than other papers? Medium amount of dust gets loosened during painting.

7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? Water, definitely. Not tried other fluids.

8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? Well. Harder pastels (Rembrandt, ArtSpectrum) leave a sheerer and less covering layer which is easily pushed into most of the ‘craters’ of the paper. The terracotta coloured paper influenced colours heavily, the others (natural, AU grey) not. The more soft and pigment rich Unisons, work great!

9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? Funnily enough, IMHO it is not the AS that works best, but the Unisons. Having said that, starting with Rembrandt and AS and layering Unisons over works great.

10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? Supersoft pastels (Schmincke) ‘clog’ the grain, at least if you’re as heavy handed as I am, and are best for final strokes.

11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? Paper, it is soft-ish, so be careful when handling the largest sheets so you do not get permanent wrinkles from breaking the fibers of the paper. Advantage: You can recycle it “endlessly” by scrubbing it in the tub, very sturdy layers of primer.

12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? Best is to fix it lightly at the end of painting, or dust will fall off it onto mat. (Or use spacers.) Burnishing by putting a sheet of simple paper over and then pressing dust into the Colourfix by ‘ironing’ it with heel of hand helps bind it, though, but if not fixed (lightly) a little (very little) dust will fall off.

13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? No chewing. (More than plain paper, but really not much.)

14. What does this paper do better than other papers: It has ‘built in’ broken colour, at least for harder pastels. The ‘craters’ can stay unfilled for a long time if one is lighthanded. Gorgeous shimmering effects with no effort, just layer using sticks on their sides. *The* best feature of this paper!

15. What it does worse: Very fine detail. Straight even lines. Very smooth surface.

16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? Not to me.

18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? A good allround paper for most subjects.

20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper: Does not eat knifeblades when cutting it. Easily cut.
                Damage in parts or spots, like lost tooth, (and to make use of the unprimed border) can be repaired with Colourfix primer, and you’ll get an invisible repair one pastels are applied to the spot. If ever the demand arises, this is the paper I’d use for curved panels.

Charlie

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

knippes

Hi all,
                    Just wanted to let you know that if someone else has reviewed the paper that you wanted to do – please feel free to review it again. The more opinions we have, the better.
                    -Kym

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Wallis
                    2. Paper Color: White pro
                    3. Paper Compared: n/a

4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: intermediate
                    5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? anywhere from 4-10; holds very well
                    6. More or less dust than other papers? less
                    7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? watercolor, alcohol, water
                    8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? it takes all hard and soft pastels well
                    9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? my personal preferences are Mount Vision and Ludwig, but I’ve used other brands as well
                    10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? cheaper brands like Mungyo – too hard and grainy
                    11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? this is paper, although there are mounted Wallis papers as well. no advantages one way or the other, except that I find if I mount the paper on foam core before I start, it works better for me in a stiffer backing
                    12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? absolutely not!
                    13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? any sanded paper will chew up pastels
                    14. What does this paper do better than other papers: holds layers and does well with underpainting
                    15. What it does worse: n/a
                    16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? sometimes a problem with a pattern showing, or missing ground
                    17. Do you have a solution to this problem? no
                    18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? I normally do landscapes
                    19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? never tried it
                    20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper: none

robertsloan2

I suppose I should review something I don’t use as much since mine has shown up twice already — but I love this stuff. Besides, I can do it from another aspect! I like the Colourfix paper best — but I also love, love, love the primer! So I’ll review the primer!

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Art Spectrum Colourfix Primer on assorted papers and boards.

2. Paper Color: CLEAR!!! I have black, white and Clear, use Clear the most. Color = My Sketch and/or Underpainting!

3. Paper Compared: Wallis Pro (white), watercolor paper without, sketchbook paper without, matboard without, Hahnemuhle velour board/paper, Canson mi-Tientes without (my paper of choice for over a decade).

4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: Better than I was last time, not as good as I will be in my next painting. By years, very experienced. I think the first time I messed with pastels was a high school art class when I had some Nupastels that I loved and Alphacolors that were sometimes annoying.

5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? I have gotten up to a dozen or more layers on Colourfix, more than on anything else since I haven’t done anything that layered on the Wallis. It never ran out of tooth but the tooth is finer than Wallis and doesn’t rip my fingers when I smudge. I have yet to really reach its limits.

6. More or less dust than other papers? A bit less dust than regular paper, oddly enough. I hadn’t thought about it but the Colourfix tends to hold on to the pastel more than nonsanded paper — it may have to do with my strokes since I spent many years doing only one or two layers, at most three on plain paper surfaces like Mi-Tientes and had to adapt to keeping most of the color on the paper.

7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? Yes, yes and yes! I love the way I could underpaint with just about anything and then put the clear primer over it. I love how even the grit is beautifully clear. Anything I do for an underpainting shows and doesn’t discolor. So that’s what makes Colourfix Clear Primer such a joy to me. It also provides a barrier layer to keep graphite or charcoal sketch lines from migrating up into the pastels.

8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? Beautifully. I like hard pastels for details and early layers, then go up softer and softest with my Senneliers. I have yet to try my new Schminke red on it but trust that’ll behave a lot like Sennelier on it. I must have a light hand since I don’t tend to fill up the gritty little spaces when I use super soft Senns.

9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? All of them. It depends really on what I want to do. For super detailed stuff I like the hard pastels more like Conte color and Nupastel. For sweeping soft blending I love the Senns though they wear down fast. Rembrandts work well on it. Every pastel I have works better on it.

10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? Good question. I guess crummy student grade pastels would be worst because they don’t have the pigment concentration and don’t stick as well.

11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? It’s paper or rigid board or anything else I want to put it on. I’ve considered using this primer on sheets of copper or metal, on glass to get a translucent stained glass effect, I feel like it liberates me to pastel on anything I want. The only catch is that once it’s done it does need to be glazed. Though I might consider some weird multimedia thing and spray enough layers of acrylic lacquer over something to be a barrier, then load on the polyurethane so that I can have pastel decoration on things like wooden furniture.

12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? That’s one of the neat things. I routinely used fixative between layers on smooth papers but Colourfix primed surfaces don’t need it. I feel as if I could get away without any fixative but still give a light spray at the end for preservation because it may get knocked around more than I like.

13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? Only as much as regular paper does. This is a bonus over Wallis, which ate them like it was a hungry cat. Wallis is good for layering but it also chews the sticks and it will tear up my fingers when I smudge. “Assorted Fingers” is still one of my favorite tools.

14. What does this paper do better than other papers: It holds layers and color. It lets me underpaint and sketch without that getting up into the pastel layer. It lets me paint on anything I want to and not worry about it, though I do stick to actual acid free art surfaces and haven’t gotten into using it on brown paper bags. The surface lets me get as much detail as I ever do in pastels and I seem to have no problem getting straight lines and small details as long as I use the corner of a stick or a pastel pencil. I do ACEOs in pastel on this stuff, it’s wonderful for detail and layering.

It will also take a watercolor wash underpainting OVER it, something I discovered in my experiment with the metallic gold background mentioned in “problems with this paper.”

15. What it does worse: It will pick up whatever texture the paper has. I have used it on student grade cold press watercolor paper in several brands that each have distinctive textures. It will enhance those textures, which is “worse” if I want the fine-grain detail look but “better” if I want broken color and more texture. On hot press watercolor paper it’s as fine as the printed Colourfix but on textured papers it’ll have a combination texture.

16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? The primer will buckle papers that are too thin for it and the buckling may be permanent. I tried priming Canson Mi-Tientes with it to have a particular color not available in Colourfix paper, and the ripples are still there in it after pressing it and then using oil pastels heavily on it (something that often flattens buckled paper). It doesn’t do this on 140lb watercolor paper but I haven’t used it on 90lb watercolor sketch paper. It will buckle a little on my sketchbook pages unless I’m very careful to let it dry thoroughly before the second layer, then press the book flat, making sure to leave plenty of space around the primed area. The buckling could be annoying if I want to prime something lightweight like rice paper or whatever.

The only other problem came when I experimented with a metallic gold acrylic wash, thinking to get a sanded metallic gold surface. The clear primer deadened the “metallic” effect so it looked more like a yellow ochre wash. I finally had to put gold watercolor wash over the primer — and that worked, Daniel Smith iridescent gold watercolor did go over the primer so I have my shiny metallic gold sheet all ready to paint something on it.

17. Do you have a solution to this problem? Yep. I use heavier paper and board. It curves mat board scraps but they dry flat. I might try using an archival mounting spray to put thinner papers onto rag mat if I want to use them with the clear Colourfix primer, I’ll bet that would stop the buckling well enough.

18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? Everything. Everything I could paint. Florals, landscapes, animals, people, anything at all. There is a lot of reason it’s my favorite surface. It’s consistent across anything smooth. I could probably prime Masonite with it and get the same results.

19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? I haven’t tried steaming it but that is something I want to try sometime. I trust that it’ll survive the process, it’s an acrylic primer and if it’s bonded well enough to the surface, steam shouldn’t make it peel up unless I steamed from behind or something or the paper was wrong for it.

20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper: The jolly joy of discovering that I could get that much tooth and still have fine control of what I’m doing was fantastic. I wound up feeling like a newbie again, having spent literal decades using Canson mi-Tientes and thinking of pastel paper as basically that tinted vellum surface stuff. The velour papers were fun but I could never get detail on them and they do have their own “soft” look that’s mostly just good on animal paintings.

I am used to doing extensive smearing and smudging and now have learned to blend more with a stick — and the clear Colourfix primer responds well to both. I don’t bleed into it with finger smudging but it will release the color if I’m stirring it up with a stick just right and mix it thoroughly or not depending on the touch. I feel as if this surface gives me the maximum control of what I’m doing with pastels, including what to let show through from under it or not.

The clear is especially liberating because I like odd papers and have been using it to recycle old watercolors into new pastel paintings.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

knippes

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): LaCarte
                            2. Paper Color: Antique White, Sand
                            3. Paper Compared:
                            4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: Intermediate
                            5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? Many – 8+
                            6. More or less dust than other papers? Less
                            7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? No Water based products – I’ve heard that you can use solvent – but haven’t been brave enough to try it myself
                            8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? You can get more layers of the harder pastels. I recommend Rembrandt, Girault and Mt Vision. Ludwigs also work very well, but I wouldn’t recommend heavy use of any softer ones.
                            9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? Rembandt, Mt Vision
                            10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? Extra soft pastels clog it up pretty quickly
                            11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? Paper
                            12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? I don’t spray with this paper
                            13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? To me, the pastels last a good long time
                            14. What does this paper do better than other papers: Finger Blend
                            15. What it does worse: Cannot accept any water – do NOT sneeze on this paper.
                            16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? Cannot accept any water.
                            17. Do you have a solution to this problem? Don’t sneeze or let the dog near the paper.
                            18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? Realism of any sort. Still lifes and portraiture
                            19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? Haven’t tried yet due to the water issue.
                            20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper: This is the best paper I’ve found for finger blending. Your fingers will not bleed and you can actually push the dust into multiple directions for different blending effects. This is the paper that Dianna Ponting recommends in her workshops.

scall0way

:lol: I think it’s so funny that so many are reviewing Art Spectrum, as that is my favorite, and the first one I thought of wanting to review, but I’ll go with a different one that I have a lot of experience with….

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Canson Mi-Tientes
                                2. Paper Color: Comes in many colors, but my faves are the light gray and the slatey blue color
                                3. Paper Compared:
                                4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: Intermediate
                                5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? Hmm, maybe 4-5, depends on the sticks used.
                                6. More or less dust than other papers? About the same as others I’ve tried
                                7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? I have not done this, but would think it unlikely. It’s a thin sheet of paper would probably buckle and warp if liquid was put on it.
                                8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? Works best with harder brands. Softer ones fill up the tooth too quickly. NuPastels work great. Pan Pastels are great for doing an underpainting on it.
                                9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? See question above.
                                10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? As for number 8, any of the softer ones. Sennelier and Unison are the sort, for example, best saved for finishing touches on the top layer.
                                11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? It is paper, quite thin. Drawbacks are that it is easy to tear, and not the sort of support to use a wet underpainting on. Advantages are that it is lightweight and portable, and easy to carry an entire pad if it around with you.
                                12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? I never spray and have not had any issues.
                                13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? They last very well on this paper.
                                14. What does this paper do better than other papers: Comes in a very *wide* variety of colors. Easy to take with you anywhere.
                                15. What it does worse: Does not hold many layers.
                                16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? Pretty much answered already.
                                17. Do you have a solution to this problem? perhaps spraying might get you a few more layers. You can attach it to a firmer backing support to avoid the flimsy aspects.
                                18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? I’ve used it for everything I’ve done – landscapes, still lifes, figure studies.
                                19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? Never tried this.
                                20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper. I only ever use the “wrong” or smoother side of the paper. The “right” side is too nubby for my tastes as I like to cover up the paper completely

Phil Bates

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Mounted Wallis, sometimes Mounted UArt, rarely Ampersand pastel board
                                    2. Paper Color: White, UArt is a dirty yellow
                                    3. Paper Compared: n/a
                                    4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: intermediate
                                    5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? I typically do 3 to 6 layers with no problem
                                    6. More or less dust than other papers? Less
                                    7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? I use watercolor
                                    8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? All work well, although I have best results working hard to soft
                                    9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? I think all brands work equally well, but I LOVE Girault
                                    10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? The hardest pastels like NuPastel seem too hard to cover well
                                    11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? I use Wallis dry-mounted to museum board. Since it is stiff, it holds watercolor without buckling.
                                    12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? Are you referring to Water or Fixitave? WATER: No I don’t spray unless the painting isn’t working and I need to remove pastel or get a drippy-runny look. FIXATIVE, never use it, just get the pastel framed and under glass as soon as possible
                                    13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? Definitely eats up pastels, and is tough on Pan Pastel applicators
                                    14. What does this paper do better than other papers: holds layers and accepts both oil and watercolor underpainting
                                    15. What it does worse: The recent batch of Wallis has a texture that can be distracting especially with watercolor. Regarding UArt, it takes watercolor well, but the base color is not fade resistant, so if any is showing through, it will change over time. Regarding Ampersand, it takes watercolor well, but the texture is a little coarse.
                                    16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? Sometimes there is a “resist” to the watercolor, showing white spots where the paint beads up (both Wallis and UArt)
                                    17. Do you have a solution to this problem? I add a drop of surfactant to the watercolor palette (available at garden supplies) and that does the trick
                                    18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? I only do landscapes, but I can’t imagine it’s subject specific
                                    19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? I have done light steaming just to help set the pastel, and it seems to work OK. Don’t let it spatter though!
                                    20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper: I like the way Wallis used to be a year or so ago (smoother), that is my main issue/experience

Phil Bates, PSA, PSWC-DP
                                    Soli Deo Gloria
                                    http://www.prbates.com

soap

Hi everyone,

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): [COLOR=”Blue]Art Spectrum ColourFix[/COLOR]
                                        2. Paper Color: [COLOR=”blue]any[/COLOR]
                                        3. Paper Compared:[COLOR=”blue]n/a[/COLOR]
                                        4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: [COLOR=”blue]experienced[/COLOR]
                                        5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? [COLOR=”blue]loads (who’s counting) [/COLOR]
                                        6. More or less dust than other papers?[COLOR=”blue] a touch more than Sennelier Lacarte as ColFix is quite ‘hard’.[/COLOR]
                                        7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? [COLOR=”blue]No idea. I ‘underpaint’ in pastel [/COLOR]
                                        8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? [COLOR=”blue]Strange question. Pastels of different softness work differently because of their softness, not because of the paper.[/COLOR]
                                        9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? [COLOR=”blue]Even stranger question. Pastel brands are a personal choice. They will all work fine on this paper and ‘do their own thing’.[/COLOR]
                                        10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? [COLOR=”blue]see above[/COLOR]
                                        11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? [COLOR=”blue]It is a coated paper. Perfect inbetween.[/COLOR]
                                        12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? [COLOR=”blue]Spraying or not is a personal choice, the paper will not make a difference except perhaps with velours paper. I usually do not spray.[/COLOR]
                                        13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? [COLOR=”blue]why would any paper chew up my pastels? That would be bad![/COLOR]
                                        14. What does this paper do better than other papers: [COLOR=”blue]Hold layers if that is what you want.[/COLOR]
                                        15. What it does worse: [COLOR=”blue]It is not as soft/velvety as Sennelier La Carte[/COLOR]
                                        16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? [COLOR=”blue]No[/COLOR]
                                        19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? [COLOR=”blue]huh??[/COLOR]

Very popular and very good paper.

Colour fix is a heavy weight paper, coated with a primer that makes it suitable for almost all paints and drawing media. It is a fairly rough surface but there is hardly any visible texture. Less smooth and much rougher than Sennelier La Carte and much rougher than papers such as Mi-Teintes. It holds layers of pastel very, very well. Slightly (only slightly) less suitable for blending because of its roughness so if you’re into blending use LaCarte. It is easy to brush off any mistakes.
                                        One of my favourites.

soap

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): [COLOR=”Blue]Sennelier La Carte[/COLOR]
                                            2. Paper Color: [COLOR=”blue]any[/COLOR]
                                            3. Paper Compared: [COLOR=”blue]n/a[/COLOR]
                                            4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: [COLOR=”blue]experienced[/COLOR]
                                            5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? [COLOR=”blue]LOTS[/COLOR]
                                            6. More or less dust than other papers? [COLOR=”blue]similar, maybe a bit less[/COLOR]
                                            7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? [COLOR=”blue]No idea.[/COLOR]
                                            8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? [COLOR=”blue]See my last post. Strange question[/COLOR]
                                            11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? [COLOR=”blue]It is ‘card’, like carton. Nice and firm[/COLOR].
                                            12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? [COLOR=”blue]No need, but that is a personal choice.[/COLOR]
                                            13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? [COLOR=”blue]C’mon..what question is that??[/COLOR]
                                            14. What does this paper do better than other papers: [COLOR=”blue]Layer, softness[/COLOR]
                                            15. What it does worse:
                                            16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? [COLOR=”blue]Of course not![/COLOR]
                                            19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords?

Fantastic paper

La Carte is a velvety ( a bit like ‘short pile’ velours paper) paper or card. It is very light fast and can take many, many layers of pastel. Perfect for ‘on paper’ blending and mixing. It is one of my favourites. Because of its softness I’d say its suitable for realistic work. Less easy to brush mistakes off.

soap

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer):[COLOR=”blue]Canson Mi-teintes[/COLOR]
                                                2. Paper Color: [COLOR=”Blue]any[/COLOR]
                                                3. Paper Compared:
                                                5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? [COLOR=”blue]Not very many, perhaps 1-4 layers[/COLOR]
                                                6. More or less dust than other papers? [COLOR=”blue]not much dust[/COLOR].
                                                7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other?
                                                8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it?
                                                11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? [COLOR=”blue]This is paper.[/COLOR]
                                                12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end?
                                                13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last?
                                                14. What does this paper do better than other papers:
                                                15. What it does worse:

Canson mi-teintes can be used on both sides. One side has a honey-comb texture to it, that is not to everyone’s taste. The other side is fairly smooth. It is a paper with not much ‘tooth’ and so is mostly suitable (I feel) for sketches and drawings, and not for paintings that contain many layers. There is simply not enough tooth.
                                                Nice paper, though, for drawings, conte and quick sketches.

ponting

Hi Kym…great thread and since you covered La Carte so well I will only add to a couple of comments

Cannot come in contact with fluid in any way

17. Do you have a solution to this problem? Not a solution but a fix.

When accidents occur, hopefully they are small…I apply Art Spectrum’s ColourFix Primer to the white (sandless) area with the tip of a “00” watercolour brush.

It is important to apply only minute dots of colour side by side (they do not even have to touch) until the white surface is covered fairly well.

Do not go over the existing sanded area and do not build up a layer of paint as this will cause a bump in the finished work.

Better too little than too much and better no accidents at all :lol: .

Dianna :cat:

www.ponting.com ******** "Don't think it all away" - Mary Pratt
                                                    ArtSavesLives

1. Paper Used (Manufacturer): Fabriano Roma
                                                        2. Paper Color: blue-gray, tan, sage green, natural gray
                                                        3. Paper Compared: any hand-made paper wil laid surface
                                                        4. Your experience level: newbie, intermediate, experienced: experienced
                                                        5. Approx. how many layers do you use – can it hold? will take layers after blended base, toothy for paper
                                                        6. More or less dust than other papers? similar
                                                        7. Can you do underpaintings in water, alcohol, other? don’t know, don’t think so
                                                        8. How do pastels of differing softness work on it? I have used Neupastels to Schminkes
                                                        9. Which brand of pastel works best on this paper and why? Each has its own characteristic, but Unisons and Schminkes will fill the laid surface better.
                                                        10. Which brand of pastel works worst on this paper and why? See #9
                                                        11. Is it paper or rigid board? What advantages or disadvantages are there? It is paper that feels deceptively delicate, but I love its tooth and texture. I have used it mounted on museum board.
                                                        12. Do you feel the need to spray? During? only at the end? I never spray
                                                        13. Does it chew up your pastels or do they last? About average for paper
                                                        14. What does this paper do better than other papers: I love the deckled edge and like to tear it and float it when I frame it.
                                                        15. What it does worse: It takes limited blending before it begins to shed fibers.
                                                        16. Is there a specific problem with this paper? Sometimes the lines of the laid surface show through, but I actually like to see the paper.
                                                        17. Do you have a solution to this problem? Use thicker stroke of pastel.
                                                        18. Is there a specific subject matter that you like this paper for? Landscapes, alpine scenes, waterscapes
                                                        19. Have you been able to steam this paper successfully and how does the pastel stick to the paper afterwords? Not something I do
                                                        20. Miscellaneous experiences with this paper: I have used it in the studio and in plein air work (mounted on board). I fell in love with Roma the first time I used it because of its texture. It has a beautiful watermark.

[FONT=Georgia]We live in a rainbow of chaos. ::::Paul Cezanne::::

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.