Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Under the Eiffel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andy_S

Hi everyone,

Just finished this one over the weekend. It’s a view from underneath the Eiffel Tower, looking at one of the “legs”. It’s 9×12 using a Micron 005 pen. C&C welcome.

http://www.andysaputo.com
        Facebook Page[/URL]
        Instagram[/URL]

llawrence

Impressive work, I really get a sense of looking up at the underside of this grand structure. Do you set up any kind of perspective grid for drawings like this, or do you just go at it observationally?

Andy_S

It was mostly observational with a few measurements using a ruler to make sure the spacing was right.

Facebook Page[/URL]
                Instagram[/URL]

LENGERT

Brilliant, so interesting to look at.

sanlynn

rosta

Wow! I bet you had a stiff neck after drawing that. :lol: Nice work.

Ron

C & C always welcome

Anonymous

0.005 micron :eek: !
                            Phew I can just feel the many hours of super tight focus on a work like this !
                            A very accurate & skilled rendering Andy, it shows your hard won mastering of the technicalities of working with pen & ink .
                            Mike

Batman55

Nice work.

This is one of those subjects where I think–given the finality of the pen line–I’d simply have to use a ruler, french curves, and/or some manner of template for many of the outlines.

If you did all the outlines freehand, what can I say, I’m envious. I’ve been at this game for a while, no amount of practice has led to “proper freehand straight/steady lines.”

I think some of us just don’t have the right kind of focus to correct long-established mannerisms–I have always drawn from the wrist, I’ve never once been comfortable doing it any other way, despite many attempts! In fact I found my “long straight lines” are simply far worse when drawing from the arm, than when going slowly and deliberately with the wrist. I’ve learned to “join up” small lines to comprise a long line somewhat effectively, so I figure, it’s good enough for my purposes, if still awkward at times.

Andy_S

I should clarify that I worked off of a photo, and didn’t actually sit under the tower for hours…

As for using rulers/French curves, etc… I tried using tools once and did not have the patience. My free-hand lines are far from straight or perfect, but as long as I free-hand the entire piece, it doesn’t really show as much. Combining ruler lines next to free-hand lines tends to really exaggerate the inaccuracies of free-hand drawing, so I never mix them together. Here is a detail of the drawing to show just how crooked my lines are.

Hope this helps.

Facebook Page[/URL]
                                    Instagram[/URL]

It’s an amazing piece of work Andy – and good also to see the close-up – thank you!
                                    I’d give you a gold star if I had one!!!

Oh! Look what I found in my smilies folder!!!;)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Batman55

Andy, thanks for the clarification.

It was interesting that I didn’t really notice the crookedness at first, although that may be due to the reduction (something I hadn’t considered initially.)

I’m of the opinion that one can combine ruled lines with freehand lines in the same piece, with the caveat that it is done smartly, but I can equally see why anyone would disagree on that.

I’ve often considered going the other way completely, also, and using 100% instrumental pen lines in a piece to get an interesting engraving-like effect. I tend to think the hassle may not be worth it, but then again, I love precision so I might take perverse enjoyment in it, anyway :cat:

Andy_S

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that no one should mix free-hand and ruler-based drawings. I just can’t. I don’t have the patience or the skill to make it look right.

Facebook Page[/URL]
                                            Instagram[/URL]

ronsu18

you have captured the essence of the structure: the staggering proportions reduced to steel lace dancing in the air. very good.

i need a pencil line sketch to relate to when drawing curves. looking at white paper all that happens is foraging mayhem but once there’s a so-and-so initial line, the eye corrects it sort of automatically, the hand follows. it’s easy to clean that line to a good sketch, then easy to refine in long pen strokes. but drawing is impossible, pulling and even pushing work better. let your arm do the best arc possible, just move the paper to the right spot in order to record it. i need a propeller for a table.

C&C welcome

vhere

wow! gorgeous and a great composition

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.