Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics WN vs Golden vs Liquitex?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    alex101

Hi all, I am just wondering, as a starting artist (willing to pay $ for some good colors), I have heard good things about these three brands, but has anyone actually used and compared two or three of these brands side by side?

If you have, can you give me your opinion on quality, especially the vibrancy of color when dry (especially for light-fast paints rated ‘I’)?

And if one brand is more vibrant, is it because they process the pigments better? (I don’t want to buy something that has additional ingredients like fluorescent dyes or something..)

Thanks for your help,
        Alex.

Bastet469

Personally, I prefer Golden over Liquitex and Windsor because of their consistant labeling. It’s much more WYSIWYG than the others. If paint is labeled Quinacridone Red, that’s the pigment in the tube, not a variant and not some other pigment entirely. You’d assume that would be the case with any brands’ single pigment colors but you’d be surprised how often it isn’t.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
            -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
            Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

You’ll probably find that a lot of us use all three brands – and more – depending on what we like about a particular paint – maybe colour, maybe consistency, maybe colour shift on drying (or not).

I don’t use Golden, though they’re highly recommended, because they’re not so easy to obtain over here (more easily available now, but mail order) but I do use Liquitex and W&N mostly – have Cryler too -(DalerRowney) which is thicker than the others.

I like them all one way or the other!

I find Liqu. to be slightly softer than W&N.
            W&N has less colour shift on drying.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Davkin

I use Liquitex because it’s much more readily available than the other brands which also cost considerably more, (especially WN). I don’t see any quality difference between the three. WN touts that they have no color shift but I didn’t find that to be the case personally. It may not be as much as Liquitex but it’s still there. So, it boils down to price and convenience for me, they all perform well and if I stick to one brand I can learn to adjust to any inherent characteristics of that brand.

David

David

Jim

I use mostly Liquitex because of availability in the colors I want, and I find them to be good.

I do have a couple tubes of Golden, because the color I was looking for wasn’t in Liquetex, at the Michael’s store I shopped at. Golden too works great.

I now have Winsor Newton Gesso, because Blick Art didn’t have Liquitex in the size I wanted.

I hope that works out well.

Jim

Thanks in Advance

DylanF

i use all golden paint exept ultramarine blue i use winsor newton galaria cause i like the collor of it better. i use the golden over liquitex and wn because i like the way they handle and i like there color selection. i havnt found a suitable replacement for cad yellow primrose. the liquitex i find dosnt break smooth it kinda breaks in clumps if that makes any sense its like its slippery on the canvas but sticks to itself i get like clumpies sliding aroung instead of a nice juicy eaven stroke that breacks short and smooth all the way allong like the golden of wn does for me

monarchd

I’ve been using everything under the sun. The best tip anyone gave me was to stay to a limited palette to begin with and buy the Artist quality, regardless of brand. Esp the Titanium White – I like the Golden Heavy Body for that. Boy, that stuff can cover in one stroke and also dry brushes nicely.

I started out with the student quality and found myself frustrated with the coverage and the punch of the color didn’t seem as vivid.

DylanF

i found the student grade ended up costing me more in the end and only sifled my creativity. exept galeria i use there utra blue exlusivley id consider them better than some of the “professional” grades

monarchd

Is that Galeria the WN line? I think I have quite a few tubes of that in Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna, Sap Green, and Permanent Alizarin Crimson. Yeah, good stuff!

Jim

I learned to only buy professional grade paint back when I was doing water color paintings.

I had some student grade and ended up putting them in a bag and never using them,

When I changed to acrylics, I only bought professional grade paint.

Jim

Thanks in Advance

blah

I’m really glad this is being discussed here. So funny because I was just this week wondering about Golden paints. I do a lot of acrylics and have used Liquitex and WN for years but was wondering whether i could find a paint with more pigment. I’d rather stay with acrylics but oils are tempting me just due to the difference in pigments.

blah

I’m really glad this is being discussed here. So funny because I was just this week wondering about Golden paints. I do a lot of acrylics and have used Liquitex and WN for years but was wondering whether i could find a paint with more pigment. I’d rather stay with acrylics but oils are tempting me just due to the difference in pigments.

These acrylics are as close to oils as one can get and the pigment loads are incredible. http://www.jansenartstore.com/catego…edia-Products/

www.gservaisart.com
                                            I have heard it said that any painting project has a 50/50 chance of being a mess or a masterpiece.

C&C Always welcome

ChristyQ

I paint with Golden because, well, it was the first artist quality paint that I bought. I really enjoy them. I bought a tube of titanium white liqutex and found it to be more sticky than golden. I am not sure how to properly describe it, so work with me a little here lol.. Golden had a buttery feel, smooth and consistent. Liquitex was softer, and when I picked it up with my brush, it didn’t hold, it would dribble off like it was already mixed with a medium.

waterhousey

I’ve bounced from using W/N’s Finity acrylics a billion years ago in college to Liquitex to Golden. I prefer Golden (with the exception of their green-gold) because the company is so forthcoming with information about its products. Also something to consider when choosing acrylics: the formula / consistency of the paint. Doing a lot of graphic, hard-edged work? You might want a fluid formula. Painting impressionistic landscapes? You’ll more likely want a heavy-body paint that holds brush and knife marks.

I should be painting.
                                                    jocko500

Golden is good but dry too slow on some paintings I doing. So I also have Liquitex too. I find Golden also is too transparent in some of the colors. yes I know some colors in all paints is that way but I find Golden more that other brands. I mix them up also. read it do not matter

ideas is like the stars in Heaven, just grab one and hang on and if it do not work out grab another one:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘WN vs Golden vs Liquitex?’ is closed to new replies.