Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching A Dragons Bust

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KPMAC

I decided after prodding from a nephew to do a Dragons Bust

KPMAC:cool:

AGArt

Nice textures. I love dragons.

~April

Hello Kevin … that’s a nice drawing at an unusual angle. I don’t know if you are interested in developing a more realistic style which in some ways is a strange statement concerning mystical creatures … but anyway, I would suggest trying to absorb your outlines into the shading as you go. Outlines are fine for illustrative work and certain styles but in a realistic vein there are no lines in nature. You can use texture, value and focus to differentiate between different planes in a drawing. The viewer will fill things in on their own so you don’t need to do much yourself. Hair is a good example … we don’t draw every hair but if enough of the “feel” is drawn, the viewer will fill in the details themselves even though they don’t exist. It’s all an illusion after all.

Most artists use what I call construction lines – outlines defining areas and locations. But the trick is to make them very light so they are easily absorbed into the shading. Try to avoid a light grade pencil for this as they are too hard and can actually damage the paper. It’s better to use something like an HB or perhaps a 2B but very lightly. You have to look at this a little to see the outlines I used … they are very lightly applied and disappear when I get to the shading. You needn’t feel this level of realism is necessary because it isn’t, but the outlines do tend to detract from a sense of realism.

Nonetheless, it’s a good illustration of a dragon, :thumbsup:

KPMAC

I have been looking at doing more realistic drawings, specifically working on line weight and how easy it is to erase and not leave a mark (been using a standard No2 pencil or an HB and how light can i shade so i can get a better and smoother gradients in shading also.

I guess practice makes perfect

KPMAC

talisman

Very cool dragon and a great angle!
                    You should post it over in Fantasy and Sci-Fi I know they would like to see it.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                    C and C always welcome.
                    My DeviantArt Gallery

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.