Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk QoR is asking about how many want to buy YInMn Blue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    briantmeyer

This was on instagram

Golden’s Custom Lab is gearing up to produce limited runs of YInMn Blue (the new blue discovered by Dr. Mas Subramanian and his team from Oregon State University in 2009), now that the EPA’s TSCA certification seems imminent.
        Since 1980, GOLDEN has produced thousands of custom products to meet the individual needs of our creative customers. Now, we’re asking artists if they’d be interested in this new color, created in small batches. If you would be interested, follow the link in our bio to take a short survey! #qorwatercolors

this is the URL
        https://marketing.goldenpaints.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/35184/p/p-0018/t/page/fm/0?sid=TV2:WL0xo40jI

Looks like its done as a batch by their custom lab, which does not only testing, but custom paints for artists.

Wonder If I could get them to do up Pthalo Black and Pthalo Turquoise for me. Hopefully seeing the prices for his color will give an idea of how much this sort of thing runs.

mlaiuppa

Jane Blundell had a chance to try out a little YinMnBlue and wasn’t that impressed. But I am still interested. Would depend on the price, which they do not state.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Runs with brushes

briantmeyer

I don’t expect it to be priced like mass produced paints, which benefit from large volumes, this is custom made for a few artists. The cost probably depends on how many are willing to try it, if they can do it in larger volumes.

They are probably trying to figure out if it’s worth doing at all. To me I would buy it if its something I can afford, mostly out of curiosity.

Whether people find it interesting, that is probably based on what they do with it, what other colors work well with it, whether it has any unique quirks.

BugFolk

*raises hand* May have to save up for it (hearing it is expensive) but to try a new pigment, would be worth it, even if only for the fun play value.

mlaiuppa

Kremer has a 10g glass vial of it for $69 if anyone would like to try their hand at mixing their own.

They have info now. It’s PB86

Chemical description: Pigment Blue 86
                        ColorIndex PB 86
                        Opacity opaque
                        Suitability Acrylics, Oil, Tempera, Watercolor / Gouache
                        Color Blue Form powder
                        Solubility in water No data available

It’s says only for industrial purposes so not sure if it’s suitable for the amateur. I think I’d rather buy from QoR even if it will be pricey. If they offer a small half pan I’m game to try it out.

BTW, is anyone else calling this “Yinmin” blue? I know the M is manganese but Yinman just sounds stupid to me. Doesn’t roll of the tongue like Yinmin.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Runs with brushes

edmund ronald

Maybe they could do Quin Gold – there is certainly ample demand for that one!

Edmund

My virtual sketchbook, one a day https://www.instagram.com/edmundronald/

Vanguardt

Kremer has a [URL=https://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/new-products/pigments/8045/yinmn-blue]10g glass vial[/URL] of it for $69 if anyone would like to try their hand at mixing their own.

They have info now. It’s PB86

Chemical description: Pigment Blue 86
                                ColorIndex PB 86
                                Opacity opaque
                                Suitability Acrylics, Oil, Tempera, Watercolor / Gouache
                                Color Blue Form powder
                                Solubility in water No data available

It’s says only for industrial purposes so not sure if it’s suitable for the amateur. I think I’d rather buy from QoR even if it will be pricey. If they offer a small half pan I’m game to try it out.

BTW, is anyone else calling this “Yinmin” blue? I know the M is manganese but Yinman just sounds stupid to me. Doesn’t roll of the tongue like Yinmin.

Yttrium Indium Manganese Oxide is an Inorganic pigment.

YIn0.8 Mn 0.2O3

Prepared by calcination of oxides of the elements yttrium, indium, and manganese to a temperature of approximately 1,200 °C (2,200 °F)

Bright reddish blue

Color said to be between Cobalt Blue and Ultramarine Blue, although different shades are possible by varying element ratios during manufacture.

Blue 10G513 is a high temperature calcined pigment based on yttrium, indium and manganese. It has a bright red-shade blue masstone, and high tint strength with excellent UV and visible opacity

YinMn Blue is an inorganic blue pigment that was accidentally discovered by Professor Mas Subramanian and his then graduate student Andrew E. Smith at Oregon State University in 2009 and is being commercialized by the Shepherd Color Company. As of 06/2018 it does not appear to be commercially available except in U.S. as a Crayola Crayon and Australia by Derivan as a Matisse professional artists acrylic paint

May be offered by Gamblin Artist Colors as a limited edition oil color in the near future

Pigment PB86 now sold by Kremer Pigments – 10 g (Glas) Order number: @ €41.65 * €4,165.00 * / 1000 g – 50 g (Glas) @ €177.31 * €3,546.20 * / 1000 g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YInMn_Blue

Vanguardt

Masstone

Vanguardt

Maybe they could do Quin Gold – there is certainly ample demand for that one!

Edmund

PO49 no longer available. Daniel Smith had the last pigment and it had been used up.

Only multiple pigment mixes now available… PO48 plus some yellow pigment…

Vanguardt

YInMn Blue

“I was so excited when I heard that a new pigment had been discovered. Like many, it was discovered or created by accident, back in 2009, in Oregon State University. The Professor’s name is Mas Subramanian.

The name of the pigment comes from the chemicals that form this colour – Yttrium, Indium and Manganese.

Manganese oxide is normally black, Yttrium and Indium are yellow and white, so creating a blue when they were heated was a total surprise! It is a stable and non-toxic inorganic pigment, that reflects heat and absorbs ultraviolet so may be used for insulation.

The colour is described as being between ultramarine and cobalt blue. It is also compared with cobalt deep blue. I think of it as rather like a granulating Indanthrone blue – like a mix of PB60 and PB74. Very beautiful.

I’ve been curiously watching for it to be made into a paint. I saw an acrylic limited edition made by Matisse, and an oil version made by Gamblin but these were described as very opaque paints. Here it is in watercolour. The granulation really makes it something special.

I’ve tried to adjust to get the colour accurate but it is just a little more dull or greyed than it looks on my screen.

The pigment costs about 6 times more than cobalt or cerulean pigments due to the cost of the rare earth element Indium. It is not necessarily likely to be made as a watercolour any time soon, but it is not impossible if there is enough interest.

This was a Daniel Smith R&D sample and it was thought that as it is expensive, it may not offer enough to be developed further. What do you think? Would you buy it?”

Jane Blundell

https://janeblundellart.blogspot.com/2017/04/yinmn-blue.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.