WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:59 AM

Airbrush Recommendation

I would like to buy an airbrush kit for the purpose of adding finishing touches to acrylic paintings. These would include things like areas of glow, mist, fog, etc. These effects would add atmosphere to the paintings. I donít need fine line capability. Could you recommend a moderately priced kit (less than $200) that would accomplish this? Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:29 AM

Re: Airbrush Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine44
I would like to buy an airbrush kit for the purpose of adding finishing touches to acrylic paintings. These would include things like areas of glow, mist, fog, etc. These effects would add atmosphere to the paintings. I donít need fine line capability. Could you recommend a moderately priced kit that would accomplish this? Thanks.

Edit of Post
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2018, 02:55 PM

I was in the same search as you are.
I bought a AC100 compressor second hand for 90 euro (new = 180 euro), and a new set of chinese airbrush pistols (Fengda) BD-130 + BD-140 for 21 euro (amazon action price). Total of 111 euro and I am happy with it.
The compressor AC100 (simair, sparmax, etc) is tankless, but it runs for hours without overheating and is silent. Wearing out this compressor is hard work.
The chinese airbrush pistols is available under different brand names but are all from the same factory. They are rebranded by stores. I bought these because at first you have to learn about maintenance, technique, thinners, etc. Abusing these pens does only cost you a few dollars or euro's if you did something wrong. Example: Replacing a Fengda needle = 3 euro. A Harder and Steenbeck needle = 15 euro. A Fengda nozzle = 4 euro, Harder and Steenbeck nozzle = 20 euro. When I get the hang of it, I'll buy a Harder and Steenbeck or Sparmax and that will cost me 150 euro but I know I won't destroy it in 1 week.
You can also buy a compressor of Fengda but then the compressor with tank is very handy = Airbrush Set Fengda FD-186K. The compressor is the same as the tankless Fengda. The Fengda compressor without tank are overheated in 20 minutes and shut off with a thermal protection function. Then you have to wait 30 minutes before you can switch it on again. The factory producing the ac100 (tankless) claim you can run it all day long without overheating and last night I used it 2 hours and the compressor did not complain at all. I did not noticed very hot surface. The FD-186 has a tank for buffering air so the compressor can rest from time to time preventing overheating.

If you want a cheaper aurbrush pistol of a well known quality factory: take a look at Sparmax sp-35 (if you can find them) or Harder and Steenbeck Ultra, both around 70 euro.
The Iwata eclipse seems to be a very good airbrush but prices are around 160 euro.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:26 AM

I suppose you will always find people that prefer to buy a cheap airbrush first to then upgrade later on to better airbrush. It is true what serpentixus said about parts being cheaper for Chinese airbrush...but sometimes it can be difficult to find parts for those airbrush altogether....and they are also more likely to cause trouble than airbrush from more reputable brand (iwata, badger, H&S...). Those cheap airbrushes could also be very frustrating and could possibly turn you off completely from airbrushing..this is a risk.
I rather save a bit my money and buy a good airbrush like the Iwata HP-CS or a badger patriot 105.....
This is my point of view, I am not saying that I am right or anything, but just wanted let you know.
You can have a look at this post where you can find some good airbrush kits (airbrush & compressor bundles) for all budget.
Hope it helps
www.airbrushgeek.com/best-airbrush-kits/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM
United States

If you have good budget, you can try for Senco PC1010N 1-Horse Power air compressor. This compressor will give you consistent air volume for small painting projects. Even the compressor is very popular for air brush painting.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2019, 02:32 AM
Hastings, Australia

Hails from Australia

I am not very much familiar with airbrush but the one i bought in my initial days was Master Airbrush KIT-SP19-20 which was excellent and cheap as well.