Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Van Gogh’s razor ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I know this title sounds like a funny hoax, but let me explain the story. I live in France. A few years ago in an junk dealer shop, I bought an old razor. It came with its cardboard box. The razor and the box were in poor condition. I decided to repair the box with one or two new cardboard pieces glued on it. I were to throw the old folded paper stuck at the bottom of the box (as usually in such case, to fix the razor in order to avoid it falling accidentally when opening the box), but I read it before.

Usually, there are old newspapers or wrapping papers. But this time, it was part of a letter.
    It is written in French:

” Arles 2 (…) d(…) 1888
    Mon cher Vincent, je suis obligé de constater que vos positions radicales et les disputes incessantes qu’elles provoquent ne peuvent plus durer davantage. Q (…)”

So, I ask the Van Gogh experts round here : do you also think of whom I think ? Is there a chance this paper to be from Gauguin himself? I bought this razor in Asnières Sur Seine, near Paris and Argenteuil, about six years ago.
    What do you think of this poor ugly razor?

LGHumphrey

I think you may have something that is worth a LOT of money.

A handwriting expert should examine the letter and decide who may have written it.

As you probably know, Vincent had contacts in Asnières. It’s mentioned in 13 of his letters.

The van Gogh Museum could tell you if they have, or know the whereabouts of, the razor V. lopped his ear off with. If not, that may be the very razor, in which case it could be auctioned off at Sotheby’s or Christie’s for a barrel of money.

Lawrence Humphrey
        Torrelles, Spain

rw1

if it is van Gogh’s razor KA CHING $$$$$ :thumbsup:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • The topic ‘Van Gogh’s razor ?’ is closed to new replies.