Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Sealing a Gouache painting to display sans glass

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    contumacious

I am considering jumping on the Gouache bandwagon. What have you found to be a sound method of sealing a Gouache painting done on a panel so that it can be displayed without glass, like an oil painting?

[*]Not looking for a removable sealer, but rather a tough, waterproof protective seal that will become part of the painting.
          [*]Wanting a method that doesn’t drastically alter the way the piece looks.
          [*]Planning to also add a removable protective varnish once the sealing coat is done such as Golden Removable Polymer Varnish if it is an acrylic or wax seal coat, or Gamvar if it is oil based.

I am assuming an oil based sealer would be needed for the first coat at least so that it won’t disturb the water soluble Gouache but I would like to hear what you have personally used to achieve this that worked well for you.

I’ve been painting with gouache and varnishing it for years and have had no problem with the following method.

After the painting is completely dry, I spray it with a solution of Golden Soft Gloss and water – 2 parts Soft Gloss and 1 part water as an isolation coat. It has to be sprayed so the gouache won’t be disturbed and I use either an airbrush or Preval sprayer depending on how many paintings I have.

I’ve also used Krylon UV Protectant Acrylic Spray (gloss) with good success and prefer it because of the UV protection.

You have to be sure to get an even coat whichever you use so the sheen will be even over the entire painting. The number of layers is up to you, but probably at least two (going in first one direction then at right angles) to be sure the gouache is sealed and waterproof. Use light layers and let dry between layers.

Once the acrylic spray has dried and cured for several days, you can varnish. I use the removable Golden Polymer varnish but the Gamvar is also an option as it’s not for oil only. Be sure to use a gloss varnish first even if you ultimately want a matte finish. Too many matte finish layers can result in a cloudy, foggy look. Save the matte varnish for the final two layers at most.

This process will change the gouache from matte to glossy if only gloss varnish is used and will brighten or enrich the colors. This is the look I want though. I do use the matte varnish for the final spray layer though as I don’t want a super shiny finish. I usually use 2 or 3 layers of varnish depending on the painting.

As always, it’s recommended that you use an old gouache painting to practice on so you can experiment for the look you want. Also spray the Krylon and the Golden Varnish outside as there’s a definite odor!

Anyway, the soft gloss medium and the Krylon will provide an isolation layer so the painting can be varnished. It does become a permanent part of the painting and cannot be removed without disturbing the gouache.

This is just my way of doing it and I learned it from the Golden website. Others may have other suggestions.

ABA

I suggest you seal them with clear Dorland wax.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

contumacious

Thanks for the replies folks.

Wax is a very nice sealer to add a moderate level of protection but it is not durable enough for what I want. I wish it was as it imparts a very nice looking sheen from what I have seen on watercolor papers. Ideally I want to use Gamvar for the final removable layer with a more durable layer of sealer between the gouache and the Gamvar. ABA’s suggestions sound like the ticket for me.

Glad to be of help.

BTW – I hope it was understood that you can use EITHER the Golden Soft Gloss OR the Krylon (non-yellowing) UV acrylic spray and don’t use both of them on the same painting.

As I said, I prefer the Krylon because of the UV protection but it can get expensive if the paintings are very large or there are very many of them.

Look forward to hearing of your experience with the process.

ABA

contumacious

ABA – thanks for the clarification. I will come back and report once I give this a go.

An earlier thread

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423271

An gouache artist (former poster here) who varnishes his gouache paintings.

https://ralphparker.wordpress.com/gouache-paintings/

Good luck with it. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

I have dabbled with Gouach. I Used primed hardboard panels. First sealed/grounded the panels with Zinzer oil based white primer. The gallon of primer I got has titanium dioxide pigment, Alkyds, and aluminum silicates for the grit. I use this primer because the hardboard has to be sealed with oil base or shellac prior to any water based painting. So this is a primer and ground. I use the same ground for oils on hardboard. I like the grit. it is smoother than typical gesso grit and doesn’t wear on my brushes as much.
                I paint wet in wet with the soft paint as it comes from the tube, overlaying paint as required.
                I have successfully sealed / varnished the dry gouache painting using Gamblin Gamvar, matte finish. Used a very soft brush and quickly and deftly brushed on the Gamvar. The gouache didn’t lift and It dried matte and did not seem to change the colors after it was dry. Maybe only slightly deepening the color.
                These techniques would probably not work on a flexible surface like paper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.