Yesterday I was showing my class how to do monoprints. I printed them onto very flimsy rice paper, which was difficult to handle, though it took the prints well.
I used Georgian printing medium with oil paints - it makes them behave just like printing inks and I have all my colours available if I want
The ink is rolled out onto glass - or in my case acetate and drawn into with colour shaper/palette knives/whatever and the a print taken. Sometimes you can get a paler second print but usually not.
I used all 3 techniques that I showed them in this, as above drawing into the inked plate, putting the paper face down onto the inked plate and drawing on the back in biro (gives lovely lines) and masking out areas with torn paper before doing these or in between.
At home today I joined 3 of them together, glued them down on A3 paper (double the size of computer printing paper so the image is about 15 inches across). Then drew into the long finished result a bit with a ballpoint pen.
I wasn't at all happy with them yesterday - but it's amazing the improvement joining them up and a little bit of biro made to pull an image together