WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Woodcraft
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Woodchips - August 2016

I am new to the woodworking forum, as well. Just discovered it a few days ago! I've been a member of WC for years as an artist. I had a small wood shop in my garage about 30 years ago, making corner shelves, stools, quilt racks, peg racks, etc, etc. Little things. I started it mainly as a way to make thing to paint on and sell and caught the bug! This was when we had very small kids at home and I was at home and had the time for it. I sold it all when I went back to work.

We (hubby and I) have been semi retired for a few years now. I usually spend the winter months painting. Now I am slowly picking up the woodwork again and am loving it! We recently bought a Dremel and extra bits for it so I can use that to do detailed wood work. I also plan to carve bone and rock with it, as well as wood.

I began whittling hair sticks this past summer and have a box full of them peeled and ready to sand, put away for winter work. I also plan to start making carved walking sticks with leather handles this coming summer when I have access to the poplar and willow branches. We live in our RV full time and spend the winters in southern BC. We're called "snowbirds" here - retirees that travel to warmer parts for the winter. I live in a city in the wintertime...usually. Has been Kelowna for a few years, but this winter we are trying Osoyoos, BC for the winter.

We live and work in Muncho Lake, BC on the Alaska Highway near the Yukon in the summer months. We're Provincial Park Operators up there where I have access to all kinds of branches and wood scraps, picnic table parts, etc.
and where we have the majority of our larger tools.

We do have a jig saw and skill saw, drill, drivers and Dremel with all it's parts with us however. I just have to work outside where it does get cold in the winter, even in Osoyoos.
- "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

Last edited by SherylG : 10-27-2017 at 10:25 AM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

What an exciting life you have Sheryl, working and travelling.

Doug
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 AM

You are Awesome in woodworking. I love making boxes and a little furniture (bookshelves).
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 PM

My son has an invention he has been working on for ages, he has quite a lot of interest in his project and now wants to make a smallish working model, he is thinking that wood he would buy would be costly, talked about cardboard and we discussed poster board that would be quite flimsy, is there any kind of plastic that would be workable. Not poor in the tool department has built several larger parts and always needed some kind of new tool.
Could you suggest anything that would work , we could paint the cardboard and make it sturdier and somewhat waterproof ,can we find it to buy in sheets? Going back to wood ,plywood makes the finished project very heavy,
first one was ,big heavy, took two men and a lift, and we only had two men, thanks in advance for your help and advice.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

If it just a mockup you could yous rigid foam insulation board.

Doug
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM

thank you ,will have to google what that is