Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    metlworks

Eagle in Rain. Oil on board 29.5 x 23.5 inches. https://ibb.co/album/egJiGF , for some reason cant upload image to forum. Started the rough work this morning. Background is slightly stippled gesso with blue/grey on the white grounds. This was then rubbed with light emery paper to pruduce hundreds of non uniform sized small white spots. Picture shows 1st colored glaze on background which will be followed by a number of colored glazes and alternate layers of retouch varnish in between. (I make my own using Danmar Resin and Turpentine) Am trying to create the effect of the soft, hazy, Irish rain. The gesso of the eagle was rubbed smooth to allow the extra-fine detail required for feathers. For me these birds are a real test of patience and not the type of painting one steps away from for a small break. I find that once started I continue till finished otherwise they would never get done. The last step before varnishing is a small drop of water hanging off the beaks tip containing a reflection of the surroundings.

Trumper

I have uploaded it for you :)
            Looks very good to me .

[ATTACH]862037[/ATTACH]

metlworks

Thanks for that Trumper. Been away from painting but back at it now. Here it is at about 40% done, lots of work still to do.

Trumper

Well done , looks great :)

metlworks

Cheers Trumper. Painted like a man posessed today, will post result tomorrow. I have some questions and look forward to the imput.

metlworks

Am thinking to scrap the rain idea. Maybe it will foreshorten the background and I’d lose the depth. It also might make it too busy. Another consideration is branches. These too might make things too busy as the eye bounces around from shape to shape. Currently this is a very still and peaceful painting despite the whole “fierce predator” thing going on. Thoughts please.

Trumper

Birds of prey are static ,they look and study and even when flying it’s normally a graceful swoop.
                                Looks lovely as it is.Maybe do another one ,leave this for now but do one where it is zoomed out a bit then add some more background. :)

metlworks

Maybe do another one ,leave this for now but do one where it is zoomed out…… :)

I can’t it’s for a client. Over the new year I mangled two of my fingers so lost much time with hospital, surgery etc. Have 2 weeks to finish it and its still in its rough stage. So you reckon background good to go? Need to have that done so I can add the “feathered edges” along with the detailed work. Thanks for your imput and time thus far. Take care.

Trumper

The subject is the Eagle .Is the client seeing it before they get it? You could show them it and ask them what their thoughts are and where they would like it to progress to.
                                        You may be surprised and they are happy with it as it is.

metlworks

Was not at all happy with bacground so changed it to this. To me this works better. Foliage not done yet.What say you?

gebhm

Looks good to me.

laf.art

This looks really good and the foliage showing the bird in its natural surroundings finishes it well

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                                    Instagram laf.abstracts

Donelittle

Great work on feathers & beak! very convincing. Bird looks alert, as it should be, not at all peaceful. Is it African Fish Eagle, by the way?
                                                        I liked both backgrounds, but would choose rainforest theme if i had a choice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.