Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals John’s 2016 Bird Sketches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    JTMB

Hi folks,

I haven’t been on the site (or done hardly any art) for a couple years due mostly to a couple surgeries – the first one being rotator cuff repair on my dominant arm, which really prevented art during the long rehab/recovery process. But I’m back at sketching and hoping to do some plein air landscape painting as the weather warms up.

This year I’m planning on sketching each bird species I see during the course of the year. We did an annual bird count on January 1st for a local Audubon society, which started my ‘year list’ for species. We saw 43 species that day, so I haven’t caught up with all them yet. The total is up to 68 species now, but of course the addition of new species slows down dramatically as the year goes on – by year’s end I should have around 150 species or so, depending on how dedicated I am to get out and ‘chase’ birds.

The journal I’m starting with is a Stillman & Birn Alpha Series 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches. Because I have such a backlog of species already, I’m doing pretty quick sketches now starting with pencil, adding ink sometimes, then coloring with Pitt brush pens. A couple of the images here are done with Copic markers, then cut and pasted into the S&B journal since the Copics show through to the other side of the paper in the journal.

I won’t post all the sketches (some are pretty bad being out of practice…!) until I get current with new species. I will do some watercolor and gouache when things slow down because the Pitt pens, which I really love, don’t have a wide enough color selection to accurately show the bird’s plumage so some of the odd coloration you see here is just based on available choices.

So here are a few of the first 38 that I’ve sketched so far.

It’s great to see a lot of folks I remember from when I was last active! I’m looking forward to going through your journals to see what you all are doing.

C&C welcome as always.

John
        C&C always welcome.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.

Debby

John, so good to have you and your birds back here again! :) Lovely sketches. You’ll get your mojo back in no time. Glad you are recovered from the surgery.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

KiwiKate

Lovely sketches; I look forward to more. Glad you’re back in the saddle again!

Kate
                Henderson, Nevada
                C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Blooming

These sketches are so cheerful!

"An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation or prisoner of success". ~Henry Matisse

BeeG

Hi again, John,

I hadn’t looked at these yet when I wrote back in my Bird-a-Day post. I like these, and they ARE looser than your regular work! The robin and orange-crowned are especially nice.

Have you played with Stabilo 88s? I found them a great way to mediate between watercolors and pencil, and sometimes when pens are just too stark/rigid, they fit the bill (bad unintentional pun). Because they are watersoluble, you can ease edges and soften lines.

I’ve moved away from Pitts except when I travel. At home I prefer fountain pens with their lovely nibs and greater ink color choices.

Please keep sharing these. I want to see how these affect your overall style over time. Should be interesting!

[FONT=TrebuchetMS]BeeG

http://www.flicker.farm
                        C+C always welcome.

Nick7

Beautiful! I hope you are going to post often :)

Get well soon.

"Persistence, and practice will get you where you want to be, even though you will go through some 'dark' stages"

JTMB

Thanks for the comments Debby, Kate, Blooming, BeeG and Nick!

Following are two more sketches. The first, in the Stillman and Birn sketchbook is a Bewick’s Wren – from a Tringa.com reference photo. Pencil sketch, then watercolor and a few Pigma Micron sepia pen marks.

The other sketch – a White-throated Sparrow (fairly rare bird in our area) from a reference photo by Dave Slaughter in the Pen & Ink January challenge. This was done in a 12 x 9 inch Copic sketchbook – pencil sketch, inked with Pigma Micron sepia in a few areas, and then finished with Copic markers. This sketch was done for a talk on bird art I’m giving at our local art club meeting in February.

John
                                C&C always welcome.

vhere

Some lovely ones there. Glad to see you back :)

Debby

Sweet birds. Love their lively poses.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Joan T

Great to see you back!! Nice sketches of these birds!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Blooming

Aren’t markers fun? Sweet birds! Makes me anxious for spring!

"An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation or prisoner of success". ~Henry Matisse

hobbyartist87

John, these are good bird sketches. Good job on these, getting them to be so accurate.

Sandra

JTMB

Thanks Vivien, Debby, Joan and Sandra!

Blooming – yes I’m enjoying the markers, which I haven’t used much before except for a selection of grays for doing notans. I love the Copics. They do tend to produce graphic or illustration type sketches, which of course is logical since that’s what they’re designed for. I’m definitely going to keep doing various subjects with them.

Here is the next batch of birds. In order to catch up to my species-seen list for the year, these were done quite quickly and that didn’t result in great sketches in some of the occasions. But since it is a sketchbook and all the instruction books say that a sketch ain’t supposed to be a finished product, here is everything since the last post – the good, the bad and the ugly.

My favorites in this batch are the White-crowned Sparrow and the Bushtit. The others are, well…recognizable at least. :lol:

White-crowned Sparrow

Killdeer

Pileated Woodpecker

Bushtit

Glaucous-winged Gull

Red-winged Blackbird

Bufflehead – The purple and green on this (male) bird’s head is actually iridescent in the sunlight. Under dim light condition, it just looks black.

John
                                                        C&C always welcome.

Debby

Great group of birds. Love the little bushtit.

Debby
                                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

hobbyartist87

John, these are really good bird sketches. I can tell you’ve had a lot of time to observe them and sketch them as you’ve gotten the details and the shapes right. Keep going with these.

Sandra

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.