Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Lukas 1862 with "beewax"?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Bradicus

Is this just a filler or what?
        What other reason for this adder?

I havent used Lukas but I was surprised by this ‘addition’.
        Will beeswax be fine with other paints? What about linseed oil?

Anyone use Lukas 1862? Anyone know where to find a pigment listing.
        Couple colours that are curious.

Cheers,
        Brad

Gigalot

Wax prevents oil/pigment separation into tube. It is also a matte agent. Not a filler, adding above 5% by volume into paint it can reduce adhesive properties. It is always bleed to the surface because of high migratory properties. And it makes paint film weaker. It can slightly plasticize paint film.

mariposa-art

I use a lot of Lukas 1862, as well as Lukas Studio. I’ve used many brands, like Winsor Newton, Blockx, Old Holland, and they all have their own unique qualities, as does Lukas, but I can’t say I notice anything bad that I can attribute to the beeswax.

The main thing I notice is the paint dries faster and some tubes do seem like they’re going to start getting stiffer in the tube. (Lukas touts the faster drying speed of their paints, so they add “driers.”) But I get my Lukas paints from Jerry’s Artarama and I notice that other brands (like Charvin) have problems with selling tubes that are stiffer than they should be when I get them from Jerry’s.

I wouldn’t scare you off from Lukas. I would guess that if you don’t stockpile, like I tend to do (which might give the tubes time to stiffen up a bit), then you should be just fine.

Crystal1

For a pigment list, go to Jerrysartarama.com and search for Lukas 1862. There will be a list of colors. On the line of color that you’re interested in, on the right will be a yellow box with a T in it. Click on that and it will list the pigments in that particular tube. Hope this helps.

Bradicus

Thats interesting Giga, wonder what lukas intention is? With the addition. Hummm?

Mariposa, thanks for the info. Im a end of the world paint stock-up type. Plus I like trying new colours. Which is funny, because I use a fixed palette for the most part.
                        How do you like the Chavin? What would you compare to? Grumbacher, W&N?

Crystal, thanks for help, never been to jerrys site before, so I thought those were MSDS sheets. Triangles work good, though not all paints have them. Thats one thing I love about blick.

Cheers,
                        Brad

mariposa-art

Bradicus, I like the Charvins, but I think the Extra Fine are overpriced. I would compare them to a “good” (but not top-end) brand, like maybe Rembrandt or something. I’ve had a number of tubes arrive to me already well-stiffened in the tube. That makes me leery of buying many more of them, since it’s a hassle to have to return them.

I use plenty of the Charvin Fine (the cheaper line of paints, only available in 150 mL tubes) because I like the custom mixtures, like pale blue, etc. They seem fine to me but I’m not expecting top-end paints with them. I try to buy them when I can get a deal of around $10 a tube. Funny, I don’t recall getting a Charvin Fine tube from Jerry’s that is already really stiff. It’s mostly the Charvin Extra Fine (the really expensive ones) that come that way. :(

Lukas 1862 hasn’t had the problem (for me) of being stiff in the tube when it ships, but a few tubes have gotten stiffer over a year or so, in storage. Their price is so much more reasonable, however, that it’s not as much of a financial risk to order them. I encourage you to order a few of the smaller tubes and see what you think! :D

Anonymous

I have lukas and charvin paints ( and lots of others ), and I like both. charvins are very slow drying and lukas are fast drying as noted. I really don’t notice the beeswax at all. I think that this is an example of when companies tout a “big difference” as a marketing advantage, due to the unique and superior characteristics that only their brand possesses. graham does it with walnut oil, charvin does it with poppy oil, lukas with beeswax and driers, old holland with cold pressed linseed, mussini with damar, etc, etc. whatev’s, they all work just fine and dandy. competition is real tough and they gotta have something to raise up the flagpole and brag about.

Bradicus

Mariposa, I will try a few 1862, as they are very inexpensive.
                                    Thanks for the feedback.

Sid, I think you have the tone of it: Bet you are right.
                                    MG ( as an example ) has done an amazing job of promoting their walnut oil paint. I like their paint alot: but they infer you might as well drop dead now if you dare use that dangerous linseed!

All show biz I guess,
                                    Brad

Melissa82
                                        Gigalot

I can paint with everything, which have the name “paint” because I can add something to make pleasant working properties of any paint. The only interesting thing I like to see, is a list of pigment numbers. :)

But one thing can turn my head: GERMAN QUALITY! German’s paint quality is a philosophers’ stone of ART, a magic fluid, a mirage of Martian gold deposits, can give a sparkling effect to any boring piece of contemporary art! :clap: :wave: :heart:

Anonymous

PDF Pigment Chart
                                                [url]http://www.jerrysartarama.com/DOWNLOADS/VENDOR_INFO/LUKAS-Aquarell-1862-Leaflet.pdf[/url]

that chart is for the watercolors, here is the oil chart too:
                                                http://www.jerrysartarama.com/DOWNLOADS/VENDOR_INFO/LUKAS-1862-Oils-Leaflet-NEW.pdf

Bradicus

Thanks for the links Melissa and Sid.

Jerrys site is not amazing easy to use.
                                                    But Lukas, Carvin and Maimeri Renessance paints are on the way…hopefully.

Brad

Papercut

Michael Harding also uses a bit of wax. He said so in a youtube demo.

For those doing BFA in Uni- you should double major in a money generating degree program. Just in case. Otherwise you could be wasting a great deal of your time and your (and other's) money.
                                                        I have an BA (Sinology) and MBA that I acquired after my BFA. I should have done my BA concurrently with my BFA. Oh well, too late for me, but maybe not for you.

WFMartin

I have never been one to be very enthused with beeswax as an addition to oil paints. It may be good for lubricating bagpipe fittings, but I leave it out of my paint, and mediums.:D :D ;)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

JamieWG

I have never been one to be very enthused with beeswax as an addition to oil paints. It may be good for lubricating bagpipe fittings, but I leave it out of my paint, and mediums.:D :D ;)

I’m with Bill. I dislike beeswax immensely and all those brands that overuse it. Whatever happened to Lukas Sorte? Now that was a good paint line — their only good paint line, as far as I’m concerned. I’m not a Charvin fan either.

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                                                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                                                [/url]
                                                                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.