WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 02:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States
Coffee Break 9/20-9/26

Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Illustration Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

Grab a cuppa joe and here we go!
Last weeks thread for you partying weekenders:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215962

WHAT NO COFFEE BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!
............but....but....stutter....splutter..... but.....but....

I NEED CAFFIENE! No coffee for me though, thanks. I'll have a Coke.

gulp..gulp...gulp....AHHHHHHHHH! Refreshing.

jen asked for some of my BBQ recipies last week, but I gotta say, they're secret family recipies, passed down from generation to generation, in the finest oral tradition, from blood relation to blood relation, never written down, memorized by candle light, only durring the full moon, under a blood oath, twice a year at the summer and winter solstice, the secrets of the ages, and if I told ya'll I'd just have to kill ya.

The fact which the politician faces is merely that there is less honor among thieves than was supposed, and not the fact that they are thieves. --Thoreau
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Coffee Break 9/20-9/26

*Holding a nearly empty cup of joe*

Uh, Dave, if you will wait just a bit, I shall join you.

*goes to the coffee maker and pours a freash cup*

*sips* Ahhhh! Now that is nice!

Well, it has been finalized, and my house is full of more art supplies for the 6 new paintings that I will be doing. Plus now I am doing water color renderings for the big mural project that I have going. If I don't get anything done this winter, it's my own fault! LOL

I think I showed you guys the cowboy painting last week. Well, I also showed it to the parents of the boy who posed in the painting. Wow, they want to buy it! And it really wasn't up for sale yet! I am entering that painting in a contest, so they have to wait until I am done with it. But what a way to go!

I have a banner to do today, which I am in the progress of doing. It is for the Relay for Life, the nationwide program to fight cancer. It is a Patriotic banner, and I have no clue what I am doing! LOL

*sip again* Wow, this is good stuff! It's a hazelnut coffee. Not bad. Next week I will be switching to French Vanilla. I love my coffee.

Well the next few weeks will be rendering drawings for the 6 paintings. I am doing nearly full scale drawing that will be detailed as if it were going to be the final product. These drawings will be what I use to promote the paintings at any show that I go to. They may also go up for sale after the six paintings are complete.

The trees here are starting to get a bit of color. Although I hate Summer to end, I am looking forward to the colors. I have it scheduled to take more pictures of my young cowboy, when the colors are at their best. This time he and I will be on horseback. I am going to love that.

Oh well, I shouldn't just take up all of the thread. I hope you all have a great week! I will be checking back in later!

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 07:47 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Mmm recipe swap??? I gotta few I am willing to share!!! Shall we??? I'm always up for more ideas about how and what to cook!!! ahhh.... (still learning. ltos of burnt stuff)

I'm too tired to type right now. My head huts. Had class tonight, spend all day working.

Terry, y'all, hearing about all of your wonderful successes with your artwork, all the projects you have, and everything that yo've been keeping makes me hope that someday i can be as successful as you guys. You all are an inspiration.

Too bad none of y'all are canadian, cos I gotta do a presentation on a canadian illustrator for a class in november. Ahhhhhh well. Any canadian illustrators that inspire/inspired you guys to o the work you do???

I'm gonna go make some coffee and eat a PBnJ sandwich. Yey.... Then back to. Well. Work.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 10:38 PM
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Well, I know lots of Canadian cartoonists. Do they count?

Not sure what you're looking for, but let me know if any of these sound interesting.... Christine Tripp is a children's illustrator and cartoonist. For her website, just type her name plus dot com. Another friend is Grant Meihm, an illustrator who started out in comic books. Now he does a regular feature for Boys' Life, storyboards, and various illustration projects.

The most famous Canadian cartoonist is Lynn Johnston, who does For Better or For Worse. I don't know her personally, though, and it's a good thing because I'd be toilet-papering her house since she announced she's gonna retire and let somebody else do her strip.

Another Canuck cartoonist is Jay Stephens. He's also developed a couple of shows for Discovery Kids and Nickelodeon:

Jay Stephens

I'm sure there are some wonderful illustrators whom I admire but don't know they're Canadian.

I envy your student status. You can contact anybody and say it's for school and get away with it. If I do it, I'm a leech.

teddawson.com

Last edited by TedDawson : 09-21-2004 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Left out a verb.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States

Hello all, I hope newbies are allowed in this coffee room. Just thought I would stop in and say hi and introduce myself.
Standing before you is a (beginning) designer/illustrator/cartoonist who has just been given all the time she needs to do whatever she wants. Going from working in t-shirt shops after graduating art school, to having to move for hubby's work and ending up in a new place with no job and no prospects for one anyway (ultra-rural).

So here I am, I may be spending a lot of time on here, because it seems that it might give me some of the motivation I need to get my style straight, and get my samples out there to publishers. I am hoping to be able to put some of my work on here soon, or at least get a site up and running again.

I am committed to the illustration forum, because that is what I want to do. Everything about it interests me, and I have enjoyed reading some of you guys comments from time to time. I enjoy seeing Jason's caricatures, and I liked your site Ted. I really admire someone who has had a syndicated cartoon strip. I am impressed by everyone here.

As for this week, well, I can't get over the feeling that people I know will think I am not doing anything because I am at home all day now. I can't honestly tell them I work from home yet, until I actually make money or get published or something. so far I have illustrated one published book, but I am afraid it is sort of not that impressive, because I was actually working as a receptionist at the publishing company at that time, and they let me do a book. Well, enough about me, I welcome any advice on working from home, staying sane, and staying on track when your only deadlines are your own!

Have a great week guys.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 10:00 AM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hey sketch Newbies are DEFINATELY allowed in the coffee thread! It is always a treet hearing from someone knew No one should feel shy about adding to any of the threads - we are open to hearing from everyone. Its great to have such a wide variety of talents and thoughts - it is great

That said. Do you have any good recipes? hehe

Quote:
As for this week, well, I can't get over the feeling that people I know will think I am not doing anything because I am at home all day now. I can't honestly tell them I work from home yet, until I actually make money or get published or something. so far I have illustrated one published book, but I am afraid it is sort of not that impressive, because I was actually working as a receptionist at the publishing company at that time, and they let me do a book. Well, enough about me, I welcome any advice on working from home, staying sane, and staying on track when your only deadlines are your own!

All I can say is that if people dont actually "think" your working, and if you're perhaps not getting the commissions and jobs you may want yet because you are so new to the game - I'd say use this as an oppertunity to just create as much work as you possibly can, and build up your portfolio. Ofcorse I cant really talk much heh but well. I took a year off between highschool and colllege, worked a bit, but most importantly painted and drew and built up everything I needed to get me in school and have something I'd not be afraid to give out to people. I think taking the time to do that was definately a bonus.

Yes. Recipe? I'm hungry.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 11:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Dropping in real fast for a cuppa - checking to see if you guys are working or playin' -

Naw, I know all of you are working real hard and advancing your careers at light speed -

Dave, I was looking forward to that BBQ recipe - we tried all ways to come up with something we are happy with, but just can't get it yet.

Sketch - welcome to the Illustration forum! I am sure you will find this place a great place to learn, share your work, and chat with like-minded soles trying to make a living doing something they love.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl
Too bad none of y'all are canadian, cos I gotta do a presentation on a canadian illustrator for a class in november. Ahhhhhh well. Any canadian illustrators that inspire/inspired you guys to o the work you do???

I know of some really good Canadian Architectural Illustrators. Ronald Love, Gordon Grice, and Michael McCann are all awesome Illustrators. I couldn't find much on the web, though all of them are well known and widely published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch22
I hope newbies are allowed in this coffee room.

Always. Glad to have ya! And, welcome to our little corner of WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl
Yes. Recipe? I'm hungry.

Axl - quick recipe for the apartment dweller - Get a pack of your favorite meat - I like country style beef ribs myself but chicken, pork or any will do- season with a little salt and pepper - drizzle with a little liquid smoke - bake in the oven at 350 degrees till done (juices run clear) - at the last baste with some sauce - let cook just a little bit longer to carmelize the sauce - and viola! yummy, yummy, yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Dave, I was looking forward to that BBQ recipe - we tried all ways to come up with something we are happy with, but just can't get it yet.

Kyle tell me what problems you're having with your BBQ and maybe I can offer some suggestions. Is it with sauce, marinades, seasoning (dry rub), or with cooking the meat, or whatever? I'll address sauce below..

Alright, let's see if I can't dig up some declassified information that's not too sensitive, as to cause me to break my blood oath.

Here's Dave's secret special ingredients to make any store bought BBQ sauce taste gourmet - usually store bought sauces are lacking in any real zest so as to be marketable to a larger audience, so like Emril, I like to kick it up a notch, or sometimes three, anyway it's all a matter of taste and experimentation. I often will add different things depending on the effect I am after, so if you want a sweeter sauce add some honey or molasses. Maybe some garlic, or some seasoned salts, or chili powder, or onion, or vinegar, or mustard. Any of these work well as they are the ingredients most generally found in sauces anyway. Tobassco sauce adds some kick and good flavor as well.

Oh, and don't forget liquid smoke! Ever wonder how those large national restaurant chains offer BBQ'd meats with out a Smoking Pit? That's right, liquid smoke. The first time I saw someone use liquid smoke, I thought they were cheating, but I have since relaxed my position on that. It really is a very usefull ingredient.

But, for my money, the one ingredient that can have the best effect on any store bought sauce is, surprise!, Whiskey! Yep, that's right, a little bit of your favorite whiskey can turn the most bland of sauces into a real treat. Whiskey will thin the sauce a bit and add lots of great flavor. Plus you can have a little on the side for yourself as well!

However, if you are not a fan of the alcohol content, just cook the sauce a bit and the alcohol will cook out and leave the flavoring behind.

If you want a sauce recipe from scratch, well, can't help ya there, that's my own special little secret, buried in a Mason Jar in the back yard!

The fact which the politician faces is merely that there is less honor among thieves than was supposed, and not the fact that they are thieves. --Thoreau
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Dave, what a wealth of BBQ information. I'll bet that liquid smoke might just do the trick - Alas, we are a pair of yanks the south where vinegar reins supreme - and that's alright if you've been brought up with it, but to our tastes, it is a bit strong in recipes we've tried here. I more the honey and molasses kinda gal. I think with the addition of a little bit of some of those ingredients it might advance our cause in finding just the right combination.

Oh, we also lack a huge cooker so are relegated to using our grill, so our ribs are not turning out that tender - Any hints?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States

Kyle,

I have heard that boiling the ribs first then putting them on the grill will help tenderize them. I don't do that myself, I just put them on a low flame for hours. I like to keep the fire going by adding new briquettes to one side and let that get hot, then move the ribs there, and later add new briquettes to the other side. That allows you to have a longer heat.

As far as a made from scratch sauce, here is my sauce that won the family cook off 2 years ago.

I start with:

1 8oz can of tomatoe paste
1 14oz can of tomtoe sauce
3/4 cup of brown sugar
3 tblsp of dark molassas
1 tsp of liquid hickory
1 finely chopped onion
2 tblsp minced garlic, from a jar
1 tblsp hot sauce
salt to taste ( don't use much, just that pinch will do)
1 tblsp curry powder
1 tblsp lemon juice

Simmer until thick and bubbly. This is a sweet sauce. With just a bit of a bite to it. I know it works for the average person for taste, cause my daughter of 14years loved it.

Tata!

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Dave, what a wealth of BBQ information. I'll bet that liquid smoke might just do the trick - Alas, we are a pair of yanks the south where vinegar reins supreme - and that's alright if you've been brought up with it, but to our tastes, it is a bit strong in recipes we've tried here. I more the honey and molasses kinda gal. I think with the addition of a little bit of some of those ingredients it might advance our cause in finding just the right combination.

Oh, we also lack a huge cooker so are relegated to using our grill, so our ribs are not turning out that tender - Any hints?

Yeah, I do like the vinegar sauces (as I like them all ) but prefer a sweeter sauce most of the time. You're in the Carolina's which is where the vinegar sauces originated (I think) - as I recall the Mustard sauces originated in or around the Georgia areas, and sweeter sauces further west such as you'd find in Kansas City, as you go south from there they get a little bit more spicey - here in northern Arkansas most local sauces are still pretty sweet but as you get down to southern Arkansas they start to take on a more Cajun flavor and of course in Louisiana, Cajun is king. Over in Texas you get alot of Mesquite flavoring which is nice too.

The current trend in the big restaurant chains is to offer several different sauces, so you can get what you want.

Speaking of Cajun, my wife was in New Orleans for a conference not long ago and she brought me a bottle of Cajun Power Garlic Sauce. I marinated some pork chops in it, and WOW!, tasty stuff! It is vinegar based, but man its good!
Here's a link:http://www.cajunpowersauce.com/quali...b46b7d7d14#200

OH - YIKES - just saw the time- gotta go will get back at ya later!

Terry sounds like a tasty sauce! Gotta question the use of curry though? That's just personal taste though, so maybe I'll try it out anyway, gotta keep an open mind.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2004, 10:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

LOL - I was telling hubby last night about this thread we've got going on BBQ. I remarked that this must be a "guy" thing - we watch the Food Channel and all the BBQ competitions and the men really seem to get into their "secret sauces."

Terry, I thank you so much for sharing. We've got a rack ready to use this weekend - perfect for BBQ'ing weather!

Dave, the first time I tasted NC BBQ was at a neighbor's pig pickin'. I was not prepared at all for the taste - I think they basted with vinegar and peppers, along with other unnamed spices. I honestly have to say I could not eat it - I've since learned that it was not typical of NC barbeque. I do tend to like a sweeter sauce with less vinegar - but have since gotten used to pig pickin without the sauce - just the meat "pulled" and you add what you want.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

well, i didn't die. i can't believe the week i've had...feels like 2 weeks crammed into one. i sure did miss my bbq break...uh, i mean coffee break

WELCOME Sketch22! i can empathize w/ your life situation=i was 'there' once too. you can get some good pointers from terry on making it in a small town, he's sure proved himself & gone way beyond that now.

it doesn't matter dave...i know that after a while a good cook goes beyond a written recipe...always tweaking it. my husbands bbq recipe...i sure couldn't try & make...i think it's more like 'guidelines' than a recipe anymore.
isn't that a proven set on the dna genome...the male bbq pair?
it's that way doing salsa too...i chop all the ingredients & let him season the whole thing. i just don't have a knack for mixing flavor like he does. i'll stick to mixing color:P

my plate has had 2 birthday celebrations, doing slides, entering an exhibition comp., finishing more art, hand lettering a poster for a conf., clearing old toys outta the house, other dumb stuff i can't remember...but the big favorite has got to be POTTY TRAINING. axl, so you don't lose your appetite...i won't go there *sob* *sob*, this stage in life...shall too pass (pun intended)...must not give up. huhhhhh.

one day here, i hope to check out the threads,
~~~jen
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

LOL - my wife gets so mad at me. She can't deviate from a written recipe to save her life, and I get in the kitchen and just start throwing stuff in till it tastes good! To be fair, I've bombed out on a few occasions.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Lisbon, Portugal

Hails from Portugal
Thumbs up Re: Coffee Break 9/20-9/26

Hi all,

First time I post here, so let me start with the introducutions: am a portuguese illustrator, freelancer, and editorial cartoonist for a financial newspaper here in Portugal (which levels off my not so level income from the freelance world - just remembering that thread about freelance vs corporate work)

Thought this coffee break thread would be a good place to start, and since you're on the subject of BBQ sauces I couldn't go by without telling u about my favorite one!

Just do some mayonaise (join vegetable oil and an egg and mix it up till it gains consistency, season with salt and vinegar - or alternatively buy some ready made), put it in a food processor with 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and turn the thing on. The result is already a great sauce in itself (garlicky mayo - yum!). Now, if you want to go the extra mile (it's worth it) finely chop a few black olives and add it to the bunch, mix it up and finish it off by adding a bit of whiskey - d-e-li-c-i-o-u-s!!