WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Comp help sought!

I've recently done the WDE with this entry, but I think I could have composed it better by not having the elk in the centre as per ref photo.... what are your views to improving it compositionally?
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Essex, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Comp help sought!

hi would agree with you about the elk but otherwise its lovely

My Webpage
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 03:24 PM

Hails from England

Thanks Lori! But, where would you place it, and why?
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Yepp, moving the elk would improve the composition. Suggest moving it to our right.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 05:08 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik
Yepp, moving the elk would improve the composition. Suggest moving it to our right.
Henrik, thanks...and the rationale for that would be....?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

oh sorry - rationale is that the elk is obviously moving across the painting from right to left. Moving the elk closer to the left edge would make it look like it is just about to step out from the scene, but stopped briefly to take a look at the viewer. Placing it on the right gives the viewer opportunity to fantasize about what is going to happen next.

This particular topic was also discussed in "Deer in the snow" http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205471 where a deer enters a field.

We tend to look where figures in the painting look, and we tend to look in the direction of what we believe to be a moving object. It is therefore good to have space (or some other compositional device) on that side to allow the viewer to return to the subject. I.e. to make sure viewer does not go off canvas.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

And it follows that if you want your elk on the left, you should mirror the elk.

However, as westerners tend to read images the same way as text (from left to right) the viewer is likely to be introduced to the elks butt first
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Essex, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Deirdre sorry didnt realise it was a trick question but now that I am posting after Henrik not much that I can say that he hasnt. Next time will try to give full answer

My Webpage
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 12:24 PM

Hails from England

Thanks Henrik, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the info!

Lori, it wasn't a trick question ...I just wanted to know the reasoning for placing it within the picture with regard to making a better composition, that way, I can decide which placement suits my needs!