Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art Recommendations on best drawing software for a beginner?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    OsvalIllve

Hello everyone!
        Recently I got interested again in digital drawing because I got some devices that could help me with it.
        Before start drawing I made a research about best drawing software for beginners, I was even willing to waste a little money for paid software if necessary.
        On my first investigation I found that a lot of digital artist recommended SAI Paint Tool, if someone is just getting started. So I decided to pay for it.
        But I made a second research and found that Paint Tool doesn’t even appear in best drawing software lists of 2019. Furthermore, some sites even consider Krita is a better option, even though is free software.
        So now I’m confused. Even though I can afford buying Paint Tool, I don’t want to buy it now if Krita is enough for me, a beginner. I think that wasting money may even be a little pretentious.
        Most of digital artist agree on Photoshop being best drawing software, but I think paying for it now would be totally a waste, because I don’t know even know how to use it, but I may consider buying a subscription if it would somehow help to learn digital drawing.
        What do you recommend for a beginner? Paint tool or Krita?
        Thanks for reading me! :)

George 51

Are you using a computer or an ipad? If it is the latter, Procreate is brilliant and fantastic value at about £10.

George

I would try Krita, you have nothing to lose. Also Autodesk Sketchbook is now free. Play around with both and see if they suit you. I haven’t tried them because I have already paid for Corel Painter, which I regret now but those programs didn’t exist yet.

And I agree, Procreate is great if you have an iPad. Not free but they never charge you again when they update.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
            Every painting is a new adventure.

floblue

I’ll go with Procreate. So easy to use hope you have an iPad and pencil. So worth the investment. Best present I ever bought myself.

SilverSwallow

There is no best in honesty. I do 95% of my work digital, and I have used a variety of software over the years. Photoshop is the industry standard, but if your just beginning there is no real need for it, and if your not going to work professional, there will probably no need for it either.
                    GIMP is free, I started with that.

All you need is a canvas and brush. That’s it. Learn the fundamentals, don’t worry about fancy software or filters and just draw. I got hung up on whats the best brush, and all that too back when I started. I was forced to learn with a hard round brush for everything in my school, along with the fundamentals and now even though I use Photoshop CC, I basically only use a handful of brushes and a canvas. 99.9 of features with the software is never used. Just get drawing and learning is the best thing you can do.:)

Failure, the greatest teacher there is!- Master Yoda
                    Thoughts,tips,insights and personal critiques over on my new blog at https://art-beat.blog/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.