WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:38 AM
Clear Mountain, Queensland, Australia

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Birds & other paintings

Thanks Barb. Good luck with your exhibition.

Finished of the last of the Monet starters the other day. Began work on The Manet Blue Venice piece. It's getting there.

Argenteuil Basin with a single sailboat.

Water lily pond & Weeping Willow.

Regatta at Sainte-Adresse.

Garden at Sainte-Adresse.

Wheatstacks (End of summer).

Started some detailing on Manet's Blue Venice.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I like them all but that last one, the Blue Venice strikes my fancy. Love the colors and light in it.

It's impressive how much you've been able to do!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 05:12 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks. It's getting there. Took time to also start finishing off the bird cards. Planning on exhibiting the birds at the local community arts festival later this month if I can complete them on time. Lol.

Tui. Pretty songbird. Heard in the mornings.

Kea.

Saddleback.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

I particularly like your wheat stacks. Having seen some of the originals I think it would be difficult to capture the scene. Lighting that is soft broken and layered. But you captured it well.
I have to say your birds are knocking me out Lawrence. BOOM! That Tui painting is stellar! That head, how you really committed to the values and strong colours. The detail. You haven given me so many lovely paintings on WC to consider, but this painting is my *absolute favourite* of all you have done. What a good eye you have. And you managed to get what you see on the paper. That is skill! Love it! Impressed. Your birds are going to go over so well at the festival! You have done yourself proud. 🙂🙂👍🏻
Are you selling the pieces or just showing them?
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

Iím with Christine on this one. The birds are fantastic especially that Tui and The Blue Venice is outstanding and my favorite too just like Virginia. However I may change my mind as I see more paintings from you.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:42 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Christine. Am pleased for sure. Appreciate the kind words. The cards are already earmarked for a customer. Learned the art festival is next month, so no rush and apologies.

Thanks Barb. The Blue Venice does look better. But still needs lots more finishing.

Some more bird cards finishing. And one Manet - Printemps. Concentrated on her face mainly. Still too narrow. Further work on her dress (lightening it). At the moment, taking what catches my eye to work on. Will intensify in the week remaining.

Tomtit.

Fantail

Yellowhead

Blue throated Wattlebird

Springtime
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Those are all beautiful. The yellow head caught my eye. There are such a beautiful array of birds there!I looked up one and ended up browsing birds from your area of the world for a good bit.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Redoing the kaka parrot. And added the tiny rifleman. This will finish these birdcards. Ample time for the art festival.

The final two masters are favourites - Rembrandt and van Gogh. The former for the real challenge; the latter for his brilliant use of colours.

The spectacles pedlar (c. 1624). So much detail in the faces which I find fascinating and engaging. The closed eyes of the woman as she seems to clutch the pedlar reassurance and solace. And the elderly gent with so much life showing in his well-worn face. The pedlar seems to know them although his smile is either commercial or familiar. Hard to tell, but this is just evident on first examination.

My favourite of the group selected. Was blown by the colours used. Coal Barges (1888).

The Langlon Bridge at Arles (1888).

Three white cottages in Saint-Marie (1888). So bright. Typical of summer for me.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

Lawrence. Wonderful work as always. Impressed with all your work. The birds and the master cards. Looking forward to seeing them all finished. By posting all these works it feels like you are indirectly challenging us all to get busy.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by floblue
Lawrence. Looking forward to seeing them all finished. By posting all these works it feels like you are indirectly challenging us all to get busy.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Barb. Much appreciated right now. And a gentle reminder too. This challenge, so I must keep reminding myself, is as a personal challenge to get off my lazy behind and make something of what last gifts I still possess and not squander them away as I have so many others. I also apologise for the awful last post by me; I hope to never repeat it. I just wanted to remind you all that I haven't reneged on my promise, pathetic as the last submission was. I may have panicked therefore by being premature. As I pace myself through this I am slowly coming to appreciate that the essence of each bird and masters' works is the real lesson. If I can replicate what I see through my eyes, and share it with you, then it will be worth every moment spent. The joy of seeing is a joy worth sharing. Much respect to you all.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM
French Riviera

Hails from France

It's OK all we want is colorful birds in miniature format, keep 'em coming !!!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Hails from Canada

No worries at all Lawrence. Donít panic. Some pieces take more time. You have done so much. It is wonderful to see all of it, finished or in progress and different subjects and styles. I admire your challenge and effort. It doesnít have to be perfect. Life happens and some pieces need more time to resolve. That is natural.🙂 Still awesome work and effort.
Have you seen the works of artist Frans Hals? Dutch golden age 17th century master. His portraits are very lively. The people look like they are going to walk right off the canvas. Very realistic but earthy too.
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Firstly, thank you for the wonderful support. I will addresss each post individually in due course.

Secondly, my absence...the past month has been difficult. Towards the end of last month I was bed ridden with the flu and then gout. As I was recovering, my beloved mother passed away. In a world of shifting hues and whirling mists of uncertainty, she was my anchor. Right now, I am mourning. I will return to complete my promise soon.

Take care all. Lawrence
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Hails from Canada

Aw Lawrence, I am very sorry to hear this. My sincere condolences to you and your family. ((Hugs)) So hard losing parents. I am glad she was a wonderful influence on you. A real close friend by the sound of it. That is quite special.
I will be thinking of you.
I hope the flu is gone and the the painful gout too. I heard the flu was particularly bad down there this year. They are warning us it will be more severe this next season from what they have seen in Australia.
Take good care of yourself at this difficult time.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

Lawrence, sorry to hear about your mother. My dad passed away too on July 9. I understand losing the anchor in your life. Mine was my dad. I shared so much with him. He listened but never judged. Always offered encouragement when I needed it. My heart is with you as you mourn the loss of your mom. Hope you have recovered from the flu and gout.