WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States
Changing Styles

I've been painting for a long time and I, like a lot of artists, struggled with what I was producing. I haven't been happy with my work for a few months-really unhappy. This past year I became interested in working in pastel-same issues with pastel I had with watercolor-not happy with what I was seeing in the studio, so I have begun taking inventory of what I like about my work and what I like in other's work. I've poured over a lot of my old paintings and even some digital work that I did many years ago. I've narrowed things down a bit and find that while I do like the result of a few of my more traditional paintings, they have all actually been a struggle...no, a battle within. No joy, to tell the truth. The categories of my favorite and more joyful works were either Fauvism or Colorist or a blend of both. I am immensely drawn toward the Colorists, both past and present. Conrad Theys, Angus Wilson, Erin Hanson, Casey Klahn are all amazing contemporary artists. I've decided I need to follow a style that works for me. Perhaps it's more Fauvist in style, I don't know for sure, but today's work in the studio was pure joy. I live near the Blue Ridge Mountains and often paint what I see in the community or surrounding area when I'm out driving, doing chores, etc. This morning, The First Day of Spring, I painted this. A view of Table Rock in the Foothills. I want to stay in the studio all day and paint this scene using all of my beautiful glowing pastels!

Yes, perhaps Fauvist. What do you think?

pastel on toned MiTientes
9x12 inches.

Col. 3:23

Last edited by beebluefern : 03-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Changing Styles

I took the time to investigate the artists you like:
Conrad Theys: van Gogh colour without his brushwork
Angus Wilson: to my eye his art could have been painted by Erin Hanson
Erin Hanson: always liked her work. Yes a modern Fauve
Casey Klahn: Post Impressionism edging towards abstract with a hint of Fauve colour

I then looked as 8 or 10 of your recent paintings you posted to WC. Two things stand out when comparing your work to the artists you admire:
  1. Edges: You need to sharpen your edges if you wish to emulate the artists on your list
  2. Underpainting: Erin in particular appears to make use of strong underpainting. You may not need to go this route if you strengthen your edges

I can't help you with the impressionism edging towards abstract as I too am unable to follow that particular route though I have tried and failed so far.

Good luck in your art journey.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 07:18 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude j greengrass
I took the time to investigate the artists you like:
Conrad Theys: van Gogh colour without his brushwork
Angus Wilson: to my eye his art could have been painted by Erin Hanson
Erin Hanson: always liked her work. Yes a modern Fauve
Casey Klahn: Post Impressionism edging towards abstract with a hint of Fauve colour

I then looked as 8 or 10 of your recent paintings you posted to WC. Two things stand out when comparing your work to the artists you admire:
  1. Edges: You need to sharpen your edges if you wish to emulate the artists on your list
  2. Underpainting: Erin in particular appears to make use of strong underpainting. You may not need to go this route if you strengthen your edges
I can't help you with the impressionism edging towards abstract as I too am unable to follow that particular route though I have tried and failed so far.

Good luck in your art journey.

Thank you! Good advice-yes, I definitely need to work on edges. Practice and more practice, of course.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Lord of the Arts

I lik ethis piece. I particularly like the colors within colors. The reds, oranges, and yellows blended into the large areas of blues. I tend towards using a similar effect in watercolors, so no wonder I like it.

I find it gives life to these areas.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

I find quite a difference in the style of Angus Wilson and that of Erin Hanson. I guess it might be splitting hairs, but his work is clearly post impressionistic while hers is open impressionism. Casey Klahn has turned more and more to the abstract of late and I'm especially enjoying his work-watching his videos.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:13 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCrow
I lik ethis piece. I particularly like the colors within colors. The reds, oranges, and yellows blended into the large areas of blues. I tend towards using a similar effect in watercolors, so no wonder I like it.

I find it gives life to these areas.

Thank you! I too am a blender with watercolor. I love seeing the pigment blend with one another! I don't work in that medium often enough!! This is so basic, but still get a thrill when I mix Ultramarine with Burnt Sienna!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I really do not see the style that you shared in the photo as "fauvist." Southwest impressionism has always depicted natural landscapes using untrue colors-- however colors near to or imaginarily near to the real color, for instance, bright blue or purple shadows, magenta sand, lime green bushes, etc. Is this "fauvist?" I think it appropriates from Fauvism perhaps.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Do you actually need to have a "Label" for the style you do?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 AM
A WC! Legend

beautiful
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM

You did a good work: it is awesome!
---------------------------------------------------------------------