WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States
Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Working on foliage now, trees next, then a few foreground details.

Apologies if I'm posting too much in this thread.
  #197   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Wow! I had missed the completed bird of prey........ it's so intense. Great colors.
Ken, I like the frequent updates. I usually do the same on my Facebook page, not so much here but hey, I guess everyone needs to follow me on FB (and be bored!)

Today I was allowing Youtube to play on without really watching. Suddenly I was caught up in a video for beginners in acrylics. OMG what I've missed! This miracle stuff called transfer paper! I don't think I'm going to step back now but that would have been super helpful in many mediums! Also, damn, I've been washing and drying brushes after each and every use..... every time I used them. Typically I was painting for 15 minutes and cleaning for an hour!

A lot of he stuff I've piked up but it was SO nice seeing it all laid out so simply! A good friend of mine moved to Houston last year but she and I would just paint together. She was an art teacher so I did copy a lot of her stuff and she copied a few of my tricks too.

Here's a question that may fall between the cracks- What do you use for lighting in the room you paint? I have some technical lights wherein I can change the warmth and the brightness but I still find my eyes are tired. When I'm working with inks and small details I work under a magnifying lamp but that won't work with paints, water, easels, etc. My HUGE apartment has only 2 windows, neither of which are good for lighting.

(Big Blick delivery tomorrow. If I buy all my materials online it's much less expensive. Although I can walk to the Blick near me I spend SO much more when I'm touching the materials and seeing new things, afraid to ask questions...)

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Thank you, Sheila!

I really enjoy process information, too. When I was young, my first passion was writing. One of my favorite writers back then was Stephen King, because all his short story books had a section at the end where he'd talk about where the ideas for those stories came from. Throughout high school and beyond, I collected all those books JRR Tolkien's son published tracing the origins and development of Middle-Earth because the evolution of the thing is as fascinating to me as the stories themselves.

With painting, I'll happily watch a non-timelapse video of someone painting en plein air with no sound for the same reason. Or I try to find podcasts and such where painters just talk about their painting (I learned one new technique last night, actually: using clear gesso as a medium instead of water, which I started using on the foliage...it will reduce the viscosity of the paint and leave a nice texture for layering).

As for lighting, I paint in my basement. I used to have a couple fluorescent overheads and a couple more on torch lamps, but the dimness hurt my eyes from strain, to say nothing of the inconvenience of having to wait for the bulbs to brighten up. I bought a daylight (5K color temp) LCD bulb to replace the overhead one day and it instantly improved things. I now also have daylight bulbs in my torch lamps, and even use them in the rest of the house. They give bright, full-spectrum light that doesn't strain my eyes at all (and helps my mood during winter!).

I have the same problem you do when I go to Michael's. And they send me those damn coupons every day...every so often, I get a 50% off all art supplies one and I can't not use it! This year I actually got a nice refund on my taxes, it's going to be difficult not to get something big for myself, haha.

Last edited by sykirobme : 04-16-2019 at 07:16 AM.
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Big Spring, TX

“Man with guitar “ not finished.
This man without shoes is playing for donations in front of a shoe store.
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 PM

Currently working on this acrylic ink piece. I’m a fan of dolphins, doncha know.

Would love some suggestions if you have them.

Nichole

#201   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykirobme
Thank you, Sheila!

Thanks Ken!
I went to an appointment yesterday and because it's far, I rent a car (car share) instead of waiting all day for buses. Well when I have a car and access to big box stores, away from where I live.... yes! Michaels! But I only spent about $10. I just have no space for more stuff!

I also LOVED Stephen King and made sure to shop at the same grocery store he did while I lived in Maine. but I never saw him.

Great hints on the lights. I have one right at eye level- that's probably not optimal. I have another back a few feet behind me. I think that helps in ways too. I always watch what they use for lighting on the videos.

I finished this one today. Because of a fight within my microwave this one needed retouching which caused me a lot of grief. I don't think the person who requested it will notice. I repainted the background without redoing the whole thing and I feel like there's a halo around the cat. I don't know this cat so maybe he deserves a halo?

So much more fun chatting with others with similar interests.

Maureen, I sincerely tried! I turned this so many ways til Sunday! Now it's turned opposite to the way it should be but no matter what I do it will NOT show in the correct orientation! Once I got the size and the orientation it was a png and no longer a jpg and I was going nuts!

Sheila

-Helen Keller

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 04-20-2019 at 03:22 PM.
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2019, 03:24 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Look! he's sitting upright now!

I adjusted the perspective to make him square-on for us - but he seems a little out of proportion now - don't know why that happened!

He has lovely eyes!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #203   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Rickjf- can’t wait to see this finished.

Dolphinfsg- I love the look of your piece so far, please be sure to update!

Sheila- I love the kitty. I have wanted to paint my ratties ever since I started raising them but I’ve never been brave enough.

In re: lighting, I might have too much light on my canvas. I hung “Morning Stroll” in my living room and it’s far more muted than my process pics convey (a good thing in some ways...someone in Open Critique labeled my foliage ”toxic green” and I understand where they’re coming from). I think I’ve overcompensated for having my studio in the basement!

Last edited by sykirobme : 04-20-2019 at 03:51 PM.
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 PM

I am really glad I glazed over the background. The dolphin stands out more. I think I am just about done. Going to let it sit for a little and come back with fresh eyes. If you have any ideas for things to change, let me know. I am always up for options.

#205   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Sorry for posting twice, but here is a snap in better lighting.

Happy Easter
  #206   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Look! he's sitting upright now!

I adjusted the perspective to make him square-on for us - but he seems a little out of proportion now - don't know why that happened!

He has lovely eyes!

Maureen,
I've discovered the turning issue has to do with how I import the photos. Everything up dated a few weeks ago causing me the need to relearn all things.

Whatever with this cat now! It has every "do not do this" ever mentioned on a video and I now know why! It's been promised to a friend for 4 years and I'm so glad to have finished it and still have it looking like a cat! For all paint except the eyes I used the Arteza Paints and I have to say I LOVED how they went down! The mixing was also super easy and I didn't need a bunch of blending medium! The eyes are with Golden Fluid Acrylics... they have such nice flow and consistency of pigment in a super small small area. (I'm scaring myself learning this so quickly just from painting 23 hours a day and watching videos 24 hours a day!)

Now to wrap up the kitty well and mail him off. I purposely used a wooden support so no mailman would be skewering my painting!

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

-Helen Keller
  #207   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Dolphin - that's so much nicer in proper light!
The colour is lovely!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #208   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Dolphinfsg, that looks fantastic.
  #209   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Warrenton Missouri

Hails from United States

First my easel is what's on my easel. I can lean it and sit like how it's shown. Or hang it on a wall. Used 3/4 inch (19) ply with two wing nuts to stabilize the supports holding the canvas. The plywood I'm painting on is covered with colored gesso. I don't like painting on white. Then there's my practice. Playing with the sky. It's better looking at this distance. I'll put a different sky on the bottom half.

Once this is covered with 'sky' I'll clear it off, re gesso and play again. I have six gessoed panels. Everything from 8 x 11 to 10 x 13 ( shown ).

Playing with the sky. First act. Colors used,
Ultramarine Blue,
Quinacridone Magenta
Raw Sienna
Titanium white.
5x13

All C&C needed. Don't be gentle.
Attached Images

#210   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY