WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Can you do Glazing technique using Acrylic underlayer.

Just wondering what are the possible downsides to starting iff a painting with Acrylics as an underlayer. Then painting with oils over it. Especially when glazing with several passages of paint. Do you lose any luminosity or depth? Reading the fantastic Michael Wilcox book on glazing the light penetrates to the canvas and back to give the Vermeer effect, and somehow the Acrylic will interfere with this process. Cheers all.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Can you do Glazing technique using Acrylic underlayer.

As long as all your transparent glazing is done in oils, I really don't see how it would make any difference as to what the underpainting was done with, as long as they had similar absorption. An acrylic underpainting would likely have less absorption than oils, and thus possibly even more luminosity than say a burnt umber oil underpainting that was sunken in / matte looking. Though, I seriously can't tell the the difference when glazing over an acrylic underpainting with oils vs oil glazes over an oil underpainting. Generally for me, the acrylic layer usually starts out a bit more matte looking, depending on the paint used but that matte sheen goes away if you are using an oil glaze that is more glossy. I have to keep notes so that I can remember if my underpainting was oil or acrylic since it find it impossible to tell by looking at it, once the piece is done.

Dcam frequently does this and will likely have some helpful input.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

A thick, slick acrylic layer may present you with adhesion problems when you go over it with oils. In those situations, I reach for fancy varnishes or mediums -- copal, Marogers -- which may help adhesion.

Thinly applied acrylics are less problematic.

Oil or acrylics, each transparent glaze makes that passage darker.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 02:16 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

meanwhile, they paint on glass with oils and it adheres well.

I never heard or thought about that luminosity consideration, that is maybe something one should set up an experiment around and test it out.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 06-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

"meanwhile, they paint on glass with oils..."

A couple of decades ago, I theorized that this was how the Shroud of Turin was born.

Let us suppose that some Medieval worthy decided to experiment with painting on glass. He did an outline of a face on a small-ish piece of glass, then lay the glass on the ground to dry in the sun. Since he didn't want to place the glass directly on the dirt, he put it on a piece of linen cloth.

A week passes, and the paint STILL isn't dry. But our artist notices that the sun's rays have darkened the unpainted areas of the cloth.

A lightbulb appears over his head. Well, not a lightbulb: This was, after all, the late Middle Ages. A candle lights over his head. He gets an amazing idea for THE hoax of the 14th century.

Of course, he would need to use multiple panes of glass to cover a linen to size of our shroud, because nobody manufactured really big panes in those days.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Versailles

Hails from France

Yes you can.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Its interesting hearing peoples thoughts on this. I wonder why people choose to use Acrylic in an underpainting if doing glazing as it seems it may effect the end result. I guess one day i will try it. 😎
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 06:18 AM
Flanders

Hails from Belgium

If I could have painted the underlayer of this bowl with fruits (crop) as fast, as precise, as easy to apply and as luminous in oils,
I would have never painted it in acrylics.

I don't know what M Wilcox says on this subject, but it takes a lot of effort to recover the same luminosity in oils on top of this acylic underlayer.
That is how I create the light from within. Semi-opaque oil layers and glazes do the rest.

Even much less detailed, it blows away photography, but people are so used to look at paintings from magazines, prints and screens,
they don't even realize how a layered painting looks like in real life.

Thin layers of oil paint create much depth and luminosity, but so does acrylics if well applied and on the right underlayer(s).
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Damn, that's a good painting.

And I quite agree -- a painting created using a layered technique can be truly appreciated only if it is seen "in the paint."