Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Binalong Bay Tasmania

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

16 X 20 inches. I have not painted in ages and as always C&C are appreciated. Husband thinks I need a bit more foreground interest like a rock. I have my own bad opinions about parts of it, so interested if they are raised by others.

Carol
    "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
    Moderator: Acrylic Forum
    My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

oldnmartist

The rocks are really smooth, I guess they really were that way. Nice the way the water breaks and flows.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

I think the composition is great. All the lines in the painting lead to the big splash.

Maybe extend a finger or two of water down to the bottom of the painting to give the eye an entry point from there.

The shape of the mass of rocks I think is interesting. Maybe simplify the rocks into bigger masses and please do something about the color. There’s a nice violet band across the top; maybe use a deeper violet for the local rock color.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

OrchardistPA

The sky & the wave/foam are my favorite parts of this painting.
            I don’t see need for a rock in foreground. Really like your treatment here of foam & beach / shoreline.

I am working on a painting right now featuring light granite rocks in foreground… struggling with it.

[FONT="Verdana"]Nancy
            C & C always welcome.

bluefish

sky is very realistic and the top of the wave, allowing light thru is perfect…:thumbsup:

but….the pile of small rocks look a little like a box of ‘Whitman’s Chocolates’….those rocks are usually larger in size and rough textured….and they come from a quarry near your home….refered to as ‘bluestone’….a grey/bluish color…and the wave splash, IMHO, is grossly to large….the spray will span out but waves of this size would make a smaller splash….

except for the comments, I really like the painting….it’s the ‘shore’ and people love waves, etc……should do well in the gallery! :thumbsup: :wave:

Thank you oldnmartist.

Cliff: the suggestion of purple in the rocks is a good idea. I am after a “surprise” colour to incorporate and that might be the colour. I always feel that a surprise colour helps to create appeal.

Nancy: thank you.

Blue: I don’t quite follow the wave splash comment. Is that something endemic to the NJ beaches? I know their waves are anemic :D Think Australia and much bigger waves as the continental shelf ends abruptly just offshore. This is why Oz has fabulous surfing beaches. It is actually a wedding present for my niece. Getting out of the cold at the end of the month and going back to see Dad and going to this wedding. Perfect excuse I say to escape for a bit.

Carol

Grampy

Do more painting please.
                    Steve.:clap:

Steve

Never regret doing what puts smiles on faces

Hi C.
                    You’ve handled the water, sand and water on the sand very well, lovely colour for all of it, including the light through the wave.

The rock colours and uniformity are what bothers me so I’ve spent some time trying to find out a bit about the area! All I can see is that the base colours of the granite would appear to be much lighter/greyer and have that strange orange lichen growing on them! They are also very smooth in form but maybe a little more irregular in size …. I think, for the sake of interest in your comp, varying the sizes would help.
                    Just my two pennorth! …… it’s all closer to your home area than mine where the rocks are much more ‘rocky’and rugged!!!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Attalus

Love the sky and the tidal pool :)

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

bluefish

C…..please forgive me for the comments based on the Jersey Shore and not Oz…..I have no knowledge of the rock structure of the rocks in Oz nor the severity of the wave action……that’s the problem with commenting on something that is known to you but not realistic to the painters interpretation…I apologize ….I love your work, you know that…..but when others, in our living area see this, they will probably not realize it’s Oz and completely different than what they are accustomed to seeing…I’m sure those in Oz will love it…..it’s a delightful painting! :thumbsup:

It is a very good seashore painting, and the wave is the real star. You have lots of comments about the rocks, so I will refrain.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Blue: I do appreciate your comments, especially about the rocks, which everyone seems to think is an issue. And I was not offended. It is hard to wind me up over things. Must be age……

Steve: I might have to take you up on that suggestion.

M: yeah the rocks have a funky colour to them in some areas. I did not want to go to that weird orange. Thanks for the penny’s worth.

Bill: thanks.

Colin: got it….the rocks……..the rocks……..fix the rocks :D

Carol

mudar

i like the power of your color, something i think you have to take care of distance. if you make the fare objects (like rocks) more misty, and keep focusing on nearby, this can make your work is more acceptance

Mudar Salimeh
                                my blog

my facebook

Beautiful water and sky. The rock colour is a bit unusual, quite chocolatey.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                Every painting is a new adventure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.