Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom Cookies for Critiques

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I invite you to practice your critiquing skills on the following series of cookie images. My challenge for this Thursday’s club meeting is “cookies”. Please feel free to find the good and bad in any or all of the following. Your remarks are helpful and appreciated

1) Chocolate Mints in Crystal

2) Silver Plated

3)Chocolate Chip Cookies

4) Samoas

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Anonymous

Overall impressions:

I wish I could create photos like these – all are technically superb. Strong to excellent compositions; the dark backgrounds subtly set off the COIs; speaking of the backgrounds, it’s a big plus that in most of the photos they’re not flat black but have subtle variations in value and color; and the focus in all is top-notch. In at least 2 of the 4 photos, you’ve demonstrated what in painting is called “lost and found edges.” It’s great to see a simple subject treated with thoughtful restraint and portrayed so elegantly. These all come across as pleasingly simple images, but I suspect you put a lot of thought into each one.

My favorites, in this order, are: 4) – Samoas, 2) – Silver Plated, 1) – Chocolate Mint in Crystal, and 3) – Chocolate Chip Cookies.

1) Simple and elegant. The etching in the crystal add a bit of interest, and the sharpness, colors, and focus are excellent. Still, I find it a bit stark for the homey and comfortable subjects, and I’d like to see just a little more room above the topmost cookie. (There’s a theory about composition which suggests that keeping your COI at different distances from each of the 4 sides is desirable.)

2) Lovely textures: the smoothness of the milk, the roughness of the napkin and the Samoas. Great values: the specular highlights on the tray aren’t at all blown out, yet the rest of the image isn’t underexposed – the Samoas are lit just right.

3) The composition in this simple little image has a lot going on, and does this without disturbing the calming simplicity. To my eyes, the Girardelli bag is more distracting than supportive.

4) Wonderful image: who would have imagined that a photo of cookies could exhibit such kinetic energy. The variations of the backgound help us see the edge of the table, it’s very well composed, your control of light should be in a book telling us how to do it right, and the focus/sharpness is spot-on. I wish the third cookie from the right didn’t have the bit of plastic in front of it, but this is a minor nit.

Quint

All I can think of is that I want to eat them all.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

I couldn’t critique them without tasting them ;)

Wonderful photos Lorell.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Irishwhistler

Great lighting Lorell.👌

Mike 🍀

Dreamin

Oh, my. I would like some with my coffee, please!!
                    I think I like #2 the best. Although I wish there was a tad more light on the milk glass! The setup is inviting….although it may be argued that it’s too typical??
                    Next I like #4. Cookies jumping out at me, can I catch one in my mouth? I like the lighting on these!!
                    Next I like the chocolate chip….although the composition is a bit off balance. It needed a tad more at the top and another gooey cookie or two on the plate…it’s heavy to the left. That gooey cookie draws me in. Maybe try a tighter crop. Light on that cookie is great!!
                    My least favorite is the mint cookies. Maybe the cookies are not elegant enough for the cut glass…..and I don’t think the yellow light flatters the cookies. And maybe too much room on the right?
                    Just my musings….what a fun experiment, did you get to eat the cookies???

Natalie

Thank you all, Natalie, Mikey, Dave, Doug, and Quint.
                    I appreciate the details when you have time to supply them and definitely try to use your tips and ideas on my next shoot.

All of these photos were taken using natural lighting. I think food photography turns out best with natural lighting. I applied a Topaz Yesteryear filter to the crystal glass cookie photo (#1). I did that because I just didn’t like what it looked like in its natural color. I thought it was rather boring.

Now I have to bake some cookies. At the last meeting when the topic “cookies” was announced, I said, “we’ll bring our photos of cookies and also some real cookies to share”. I got to learn to keep my mouth shut. ;)

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Rich

Coming late to the cookie party. I agree with all that was said and am interested how your camera club friends reacted to them. I like the gooey cookie. Sometime when you are doing natural lighting make a reflector. A white card 4′ x 4′ for small still lifes would liven up the dark areas a little. You could even tape some gold colored mylar to one and have a warm reflection.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                        Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                        Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Dreamin

Lorell, I like the natural light better on the crystal mint cookies shot. How did the meeting go?

Natalie

Well, since you asked, Natalie…

One person came up to me after the meeting and told me that I “rocked” the cookie challenge. I felt that i did myself proud. It seems that the others didn’t take it as serious as I did. I had setups, props, lighting, etc. They basically had cookies.

Rich,
                            I actually did use a white posterboard to reflect light from a different direction in one of the photos. It was either the first or second photo. It is a good suggestion. I never thought about getting out my white/silver/gold round reflector. Thanks for reminding me.
                            LORELL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.