Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Overcoming overthinking

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zeropoint

Do you catch yourself in patterns of overthinking your art? I have this problem a lot, but lately worse than usual. It’s hard for me to make any art at all. With overthinking comes perfectionism, and the combination is pretty hard to get past.

It doesn’t work to just force myself to think better thoughts. I would love some suggestions for other kinds of things that might help.

From David Friend’s “The Creative Way to Paint”: Take a line for a walk. One of his first exercises, is to take a line for a walk. Use your non-dominate hand. Draw a contour line with your eyes closed. Use a large sketch pad. He suggests 18×24 inches. Make sure the line touches or comes close to touching the edges. Draw slowly without a preconceived idea of a subject.

Now look at your drawing. Rotate it to view from all sides. Does it remind you of anything? Are there too many lines? If so erase some. Too few lines? Add some with your eyes open. Take some time to “see” what is outlined by your drawing. Complete a drawing using your contour lines, more lines, and values. Avoid too much detail.

David suggests you use compressed charcoal for this exercise, but any sketching material should work. He also suggests doing 6 more drawings of this sort. This is just the first of his exercises which eventually includes complete paintings.

The book is out of print, but used copies can be had from Amazon for as little as $3.50 + shipping. There are a few colour plates, but most of the book’s illustrations are B/W which may put some people off. Don’t let it as there is a wealth of creative exercises in it. Don’t expect technique as this isn’t a how to paint book.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
        blog.jlk.net

La_

i’d guess that most, if not all, artists hit a wall occasionally

i tend to use that as an opportunity to try something new

your site tells me you like abstract, beads and globes, round things

i, too, prefer curves over angles

what if you got a ruler out, stripe some lines, few or many, and see what your curves do with them …
            have you tried monochromatic ? gesture drawings? pours, spills, splatters?
            have you ever dared the human form? abstracted/wiggly/bizarre, doesn’t matter, close your eyes even and …

taking a break works sometimes … tho too long of a break can be bad

working through the uninspired times can bring horrors or brilliance so i prefer to take a chance on that brilliance sneaking in :)

[and if brilliance doesn’t show up, never let fear stop you from trying again]

la

zeropoint

Thank you so much for the exercises! They do seem like fun, and I’ll give them a try.

I did want to clarify my original post. I’m not out of ideas or ways to innovate. My actual problem is analyzing my creative choices to death, getting so paralyzed and exhausted going back and forth about even the tiniest choices that it’s infuriating to try to make anything at all. It doesn’t matter whether I’m trying something new or doing familiar. That’s what is really hindering me right now.

…I did want to clarify my original post. I’m not out of ideas or ways to innovate. My actual problem is analyzing my creative choices to death, getting so paralyzed and exhausted going back and forth about even the tiniest choices that it’s infuriating to try to make anything at all. It doesn’t matter whether I’m trying something new or doing familiar. That’s what is really hindering me right now.

Try the exercises. Although designed to evoke creativity, a side affect is to stop you from engaging your habitual controls when making art. A small break from you usual media/subject/creative process may be sufficient to break the deadlock you are currently feeling.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                blog.jlk.net

BeLing

Well, it’s probably better than NOT thinking. :)

When I get too analytical I go back to an old composition book: all about shapes. Then tones. Then maybe color. I like to tear bits of paper, like newspaper, and just play with making balanced composition.

The Avenger

Apparently green tea activates a part of the brain linked with creativity.

Apparently green tea activates a part of the brain linked with creativity.

No, that’s alcohol.

The Avenger

No, that’s alcohol.

:0D

laf.art

Have a glass or two of your favourite tipple – that may stop you over analyzing:)

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                    Instagram laf.abstracts

twinwaffle

I have this problem very frequently. My go-to activity now when I feel stuck and frustrated is gel-plate printing. I made my own gel plate for cheap, and I pull it out and it is brainless, easy and fun, and I always love and become inspired by the prints I end up with (and/or the process). So I’d imagine anything where you can just let go and see results with minimal mental effort would be helpful.

Leanne

waynetully1

I often do this and sometimes I welcome it, because it forces me to either re-draw a particular piece or it gives me an extra amount of time to ponder about that illustration whilst I start something else.

Problems occur such as starting new pieces of artwork all the time and not finishing artwork, something I’ve wrestled with for eternity.

Overthinking can become a real problem however….deep procrastination can be known to stop people drawing or painting for weeks.

A good break helps me when I’m overthinking or a good loose sketching session just to let my mind wander, coming back to an artwork that needs more attention later you could come back refreshed and bring in some new ideas.

Do you catch yourself in patterns of overthinking your art? I have this problem a lot, but lately worse than usual. It’s hard for me to make any art at all. With overthinking comes perfectionism, and the combination is pretty hard to get past.

It doesn’t work to just force myself to think better thoughts. I would love some suggestions for other kinds of things that might help.

Wayne Tully - Horror Concepts

My youtube channel Art Channel :wave:
                                            Boafamily

I find keeping a variety of subject matter pieces going at one time gives my mind too many avenues to travel and thus helps to keep me centered.

Plus it is just art and the worst thing that can happen is that I don’t like it and have to black it out and start all over again….heck been there and done that, so now I am free to just create and have tons of fun in the process…!!!!

It took me almost 35 years to master the art of getting out of my own head/way and now that I have that part of me in check; I am growing as an artist at a rapid pace because I have my conduit totally open and my creative current is flowing big time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Overcoming overthinking’ is closed to new replies.