Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity are you more introverted or extroverted?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Art Attack 88

Just curious to see the results. And how do you think introversion or extroversion effects your creative process? Also share some stories of what the advantages and disadvantages are.

Viking55803

Total, absolute and lifelong introvert. The way Jung defined it, which I believe is correct, is how you get your energy. If you are energized by being in groups of people, you are an extrovert. If you restore yourself with alone time, an introvert. I don’t mind spending time in groups or at parties, but they leave me feeling drained. On the other hand, I have spent at least a week entirely alone with no internet, no phone, no TV, no radio and no human contact. The only thing I really need at those times is a dog and a book- always a book!

"Art is an experience, not an object." Robert Motherwell

Greg Long

I think most artists tend to be more introverted than extroverted, but to different degrees. You need to be introverted to create, otherwise it becomes a collaborative work and not the artist’s own. This I am sure could be debated, eg. Andy Warhol, but to my mind the factory work is not Warhol’s work, it is collaborative work coming out of a group studio situation, in which many participants were either unaware of their legal rights of authorship, or were unsecure of their own creative ability thus allowing the stronger personality/profile to subsume their rights and ideas.

StephenC

I am an extrovert.
                    I live to paint and I paint to live. My main subject is people and though one could conceive of painting people as an introvert I can’t see it making much sense.
                    I come from a family of extroverts. Where I grew up, our farm was a place where neighbors and friends simply drove up and visited, no phoning ahead. My artist friends are all extroverts.
                    As I think about it, I realize that most of my artistic heroes were also extroverted. Anders Zorn, Joaquin Sorolla, John Singer Sargent, Caravaggio, and Ilya Repin were all extroverts, whereas I think Velasquez and Vermeer were probably introverted.

GardenMaven

They call me a hermit. Enuff said, as I am an introvert.:lol:
                        Sandi

“Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” Twyla Tharp
                        Sandi

DebbieO

I don’t know anymore. :)

C&C always welcome!

Use Her Name

I am an INFP introvert/intuitive/feeling/perceiving (idealist) on the Meyers-Brigg, (about 2% of all personalities tested) as well as a person with High Functioning Autism/(Aspergers). A female Aspie, actually (about 1% of all people diognosed). So I have a rare combination of “introverted” issues.

How has it effected my art/ creative process?

The aspergers makes me capeable of a sort of unyielding focus– Female aspergers usually involves creativity, usually in arts or language. I am very analitical, my emotional level is generally either zero or “red headed Scorpio” (I am a red head, and a Scorpio too).

I am totally happy by myself. I have so many ideas that I have to really be careful about what I do. I can easily lose track of what I am doing, due to starting too many things, so I have had to really rein myself in, in recent years.

I like animals better than people.

I have conquored my hording tendencies by becoming a minimalist.

I can’t spell, but I have an English degree.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Gribbey

My ideal would be the ambivert defined in wikipedia: “moderately comfortable with groups and social interaction, but also can enjoy time alone, away from a crowd”. But I have been both extremely introverted and then not and the change happens like sands through an hourglass- boom the last grain and flipped over- for a period of years. Anybody else have this?
                                    Currently though I have thought of myself on the extrovert side. Exhibiting last summer, I was with a friend who is much quieter than I am. But we had an observer who commented that because my friend’s work was very different one piece to the next and mine was a progression, that she was the extrovert and I the introvert! Then he backed it up with a query about who came up with directives, who was the ideas man and who followed up- he was right – she’s the ideas man, I am the follower upper- at least in this relationship.

C&C welcome
                                    "If you go out in the woods today, you're in for a big surprise!" Jimmy Kennedy

Greg Long

we had an observer who commented that because my friend’s work was very different one piece to the next and mine was a progression, that she was the extrovert and I the introvert!

A very interesting theory. I work in series when working well. When the work isn’t going well and I spend much more time with others, or if I am away fishing (Usually with a group, or if not amongst many friends from competition fishing) I tend to be very unfocused when back in the studio for a few days. Yet I would never have connected the two.

Viking55803

I am an INFP introvert/intuitive/feeling/perceiving (idealist) on the Meyers-Brigg, (about 2% of all personalities tested) as well as a person with High Functioning Autism/(Aspergers). A female Aspie, actually (about 1% of all people diognosed). So I have a rare combination of “introverted” issues.

Interesting. I am an INTP, but very close on the thinking/feeling scale – could go either way. On the Aspergers scale I am at a 95 percentile on “systemic thinking” and just average (for a man) on empathy. I believe my son had true Aspergers. I seem to be more half-(ass)perger’s.:smug:

(By the way, do people with Asperger’s have any difficulty interpreting these “emoticons” or Smilies as they are called here?:confused:

"Art is an experience, not an object." Robert Motherwell

Clive Green

Wish there had been a ‘neither – not suffering from shell shock’ choice given the origin of the terms.

Involved observer :)

:cool: Kia Ora o Aotearoa Feckless and Irresponsible
                                                My website http://www.otaki-artist.com
                                                AprilJoy

Extrovert, not a shy bone in this red-headed Italian sagittarius’s short little bod!

[FONT="Impact"]FuzzyNacho
                                                    [FONT="Arial"]"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
                                                    Oscar Wilde

Use Her Name

Interesting. I am an INTP, but very close on the thinking/feeling scale – could go either way. On the Aspergers scale I am at a 95 percentile on “systemic thinking” and just average (for a man) on empathy. I believe my son had true Aspergers. I seem to be more half-(ass)perger’s.:smug:

(By the way, do people with Asperger’s have any difficulty interpreting these “emoticons” or Smilies as they are called here?:confused:

I’m more F but near the middle on the T.

What smilies? Come to think of it, I know what a few of them mean. :cool: is I am like Tom Cruise in “Risky Business”

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

aderfla

I am an ambivert and fluctuate depending on my needs.I can be gregarious and enjoy being social and other times relish solitude.I do have to work at maintaining a balance and know when I am off kilter when I start to crave being a hermit for a week or more.

:cat:

armak

I’m an INFP also. Heavily weighted towards introvert.

I have been an educator my whole professional life. When I’m “on” and working I talk and present to groups pretty much all day. As soon as I’m done, I can’t wait to be by myself, usually in my studio. I can’t imagine not being able to recharge in this way.

I don’t know about the original question as to whether or being an introvert would aid creativity. I believe it would depend on where you want to channel your creative energy. I don’t believe an entertainer would benefit from introversion. On the other hand, the visual arts take so much focus and soul searching that just the fact of wanting to be alone is a help in and of itself.

A note to use her name. I’ve worked with and taught many people with aspergers syndrome. I know it sounds cliche, but some of my favorite people have aspergers. Most are very bright, and I love their honesty, even if its sometimes too honest.

Speak to me of summer, long winters
                                                                longer than time can remember,
                                                                Setting up of other roads, travel on in
                                                                old accustomed ways.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘are you more introverted or extroverted?’ is closed to new replies.