WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Question about Girault pastels

JPQ, Rembrants have small hard particles in them which scratch paper, is that what you mean? It is probably the kaolin. Just dig it out with a fingernail or something. I have sometimes seen it in other pastels, but more rarely.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
JPQ, Rembrants have small hard particles in them which scratch paper, is that what you mean? It is probably the kaolin. Just dig it out with a fingernail or something. I have sometimes seen it in other pastels, but more rarely.

I dont talk anything what i can see but something which gives some kind allergic reaction in my nose for example... luckily i gived these theree yellow greens to another people. ps. Schmincke (and my handmade ones made Pip Seymour dont also use it i think) dont use Kaolin i understanded.... and also chalk what i used wrote to board in schools (sorry i dont have correct english words)*gives me samekind problems. but there is one picture thing what i mean:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...0667yACD01.jpg

ps. i used only very little these Rembrands becouse i get problem so quickly.
and another problem when i compare original topic colours looks in pictures much more boring. and i nature there is no such a thing called boring colours... non boring colour needs often many pigments to archive it. and saddly is only one brand which we have in my homeland full stock in directly i expect maybe w&n stuff but its discontinued and also have boring colour range... expect few colours both have own boring colours.

Last edited by JPQ : 03-20-2012 at 06:11 AM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ
I dont talk anything what i can see but something which gives some kind allergic reaction in my nose for example... luckily i gived these theree yellow greens to another people. ps. Schmincke (and my handmade ones made Pip Seymour dont also use it i think) dont use Kaolin i understanded.... and also chalk what i used wrote to board in schools (sorry i dont have correct english words)*gives me samekind problems. but there is one picture thing what i mean:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...0667yACD01.jpg

JPQ- I too have allergic reaction to pastels, but only certain brands. I think you have to test various brands, we all react differently. Rembrandts bother me just a little bit, but are better than many of the others. Mt. Visions are the worst for me- causing a sore throat and cough. Unison gives me a sore throat and a little cough, so I only use them outside. Sennelier cause me minor irritation. The best pastels for me are Terry Ludwig, hardly any allergic reation I haven't tried the Girault greys yet to know if they bother me. I think you have to experiment, and perhaps you are right that kaolin may be causing you problems. Have you tried Sennelier? They have a wide range of colors (over 500) and you surely will find that yellow green you are looking for

Last edited by Barbara WC : 03-20-2012 at 11:51 AM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ
And i add to these Rembrandts these have something which makes to me problems when i tested three of these. and i have other pastels with same pigments think pg7 and py154 and these dont have same kind problem. and importer thinked problem is pigment(s) but based what i heared my own special problems looks like kaolin clay is problem. Girault Grey scale box looks nice even still where is yellow greens ???

The best solution is to try different brands. If you can get to a store where you can look at the sticks in person, pick out the missing yellow greens you can't use from other brands and sniff them. If the allergy is to kaolin clay, then some brands will make you react but the color of the pastel won't be relevant. If it's a pigment, you may be able to find a brand that uses a different pigment for that hue.

At worst, you can try using bluer greens with lemon yellows to optically mix your yellow greens if all the yellow greens you encounter give you a bad reaction.

Allergies are no fun to live with no matter what they are. I've got an allergy to house dust but I think it's to the dust mites because pastel dust never sets it off. Very glad of that since I love soft pastels.

If you try a Dakota Sampler in Greens, there will be some yellow greens in it. You could also phone Dakota, explain your problem and ask them to make up a special sampler that's ALL variations on yellow green rather than "all the greens." Dakota is a small enough company that they give very personal service, so they might be willing to create your sampler and help you get around that problem.

You could always list the ones you can't use on the Swap Shop so that someone else can get some use out of them.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM

JPQ: Barbara and I have the similar allergic reactions to Mt Vision, Rembrandt, and Unison. They are very good pastel sticks, but for some of us, there is something in the binders that causes coughing, sneezing, and, in my case, itchy skin and swollen lips. Chris and Deborah are very knowledgeable regarding product formulas. Maybe they can advise the common ingredients.

Regarding Giraults - love them! No allergic reaction, the sticks are consistent, almost all of the colors are great (a few colors are not so great), good for details, they work well with other brands of soft pastels, and they last for a long time. J