WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:13 AM

Etching press. Help... please...

Hello,
I am a photographer from Siberya,
I want to study the art of the photogravure.
It is quite impossible to find in Russia the etching press,
I already have spent a few months looking for the etching press,
and had found onle one model - 3650 FOME E/PRESS 52x100cm
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...ng-Presses.htm

WEIGHT 88 LBS LENGTH 13 3/4"
WIDTH 25 1/4" HEIGHT 13 3/4"
WIDTH OF TOP & BOTTOM ROLLERS 20 1/3"
DIAMETER OF TOP & BOTTOM ROLLERS 2 1/3"
DIAMETER OF WHEEL 33 1/2"
METAL PLATE 20 3/8" X 34 7/8" X .1"
MAXIMUM PRESSURE 4,400 LBS
BASE SOLD SEPARATELY
SYNTHETIC PLATE SOLD SEPARATELY
UNIT COMPRISED ENTIRELY OF STEEL

I haven't find any information about this kind of press and examples of the artworks made on this press.

Please tell me if it is possible to make the intaglio on this kind of press.
I would love to buy the press for intaglio abroad, but the transport fees are very very high.

Please feel free to advice me on this question.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom
Smile Re: Etching press. Help... please...

Hi.

I don't know the press in question, but I took a look at the link, and yes it is an etching press for intaglio printing. It looks very nice but I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you more information about it.

Also, am sure someone will be able to give advice/reassurance about presses for photgravure.

I hope you get a press soon, it would be lovely for you to join us here and to see some of your prints. Fi
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Etching press. Help... please...

Welcome to Wet Canvas!

I know we've had some discussion of Fome presses in the past. The company is in Italy and, if you decide to go with it, it might be cheaper to deal directly with the company than having a press sent from the US.

Another European company to check out is Polymetaal. They are in Begium, also a little closer to you. A few European members have used them successfully.

I'm hoping someone will see this soon so you can get answers to your Fome questions...

Again, welcome...
Diane
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

привет and Hello

I was going to mention Polymetaal presses but Diane has already
From the description of the press you mentioned from Jerry's, Polymetaal manufacture similar type models which can be used for photo gravure printmaking (etching press).
you can also calculate shipping fees (Euro currency) in their website, presses are shipped from the factory where they are made in Leiden, Netherlands
here is a link to their website (unfortunately only viewed in English, French, Dutch, Spanish and German languages)
www.polymetaal.nl

I also had a look in the following website to see if there were any other European press manufacturers listed:
http://www.worldprintmakers.com/
you may have to search around the site yourself to find this information as I was unsuccessful

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 02-06-2009 at 11:36 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

I have discovered these press manufacturing companies in Europe through my research for online printmaking resources & suppliers. You may wish to have a look through the various links to see if anything closer to home than the US would be useful to you. I cannot make any recommendation on the specific presses represented, but offer these links as a resource for you to further your investigation.

Halepress in Finland
Polymetaal in the Netherlands (already mentioned)
Art Equipment Ltd. in the UK
Harry F Rochat Ltd. in the UK
Rollaco Presses in the UK
William Horwood & Sons Ltd. in the UK

Mark Katzman's Art of the Photogravure site is very good, with lots of information. I'm sure you could contact him if you have questions about the process, or ask him about his recommendations for press use.

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the information, friends!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I remember that there is a company in Osaka, Japan called Holbein Artist Materials. They also manufacture of line of etching presses.
This is a link to one of their sites where you can contact them and perhaps they can provide you with information about the presses including cost and transport to Russia from factory in Japan
http://www.holbein-works.co.jp/english/profile.html#

this link is to the Holbein etching presses featured in another website based in China I believe (Hong Kong)
http://www.holbeinhk.com/etching.html

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Australia and Canada

Hails from Australia

This Fome press seems to be the same as my press. Here are the details of my Fome press -

LARGE PRESS PACKAGE DELUXE
NUMBER 694124
Retail: $2,175.00
SALE: $879.98

Press Package Contents:
#694092 Roller 20-1/2" wide by 25/16" in diameter [boxed: 26x16x17] 122 lbs. [The large press package with 20 1/2" roller.] Roller 2 5/16".
#694094 Bed 41x21x1 15lbs. [Steel press bed 39 1/2" x 20 5/8" x 1/4]
#694095 Stand 33x24x6 40lbs. [Support Stand for 20 1/2" press]
#694103 Blanket 20-11/16" x 39-3/16" [boxed: 20x5x5] 2lbs. [Blanket for 20 1/2 " press]
#The size of the skid would be at the largest 36x48. We strap the cartons to the skid so the total weight would be 175#

20-1/2" is the width of the roller.
This is an Italian Foam press imported by Richeson and sold by Madison Art Shop

Richeson's was selling them very cheap because there was a new model which was much lighter in weight. I think it cost about $250 in road freight charges to have it sent to Canada. Since we enjoyed diplomatic privileges, I didn't have to pay any import duties so it was an excellent deal for me size-wise plus it has its own stand. All in all it was a great deal on a good quality press. It doesn't bother me at all that it is an out of date model.

It works like a dream! I LOVE it.

CarolAnn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Here's the Fome page directly from Italy:

http://www.fome.it/elenco_prod.php?id=15

And their contact info:

http://www.fome.it/contatto.php

And another European source for presses and other printmaking equipment is Schleiper in Belgium (go to Categories -> Craftsmanship -> Engraving and Art Printing). They sell the Fome basic 3620 press, as well as their own brand of presses, and TofKo presses (from Denmark).

Here's a description of the 3650 press you were interested in from Premier Art Supplies in Adelaide, Australia, just for further information.

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"

Last edited by ploverwing : 02-07-2009 at 12:14 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM

I own 2 of these presses from Jerrys 10.5x18 inch and the 20x 40 inch rough dimensions. They are both excellent. Ive enjoyed. Them for several years. Built well easy to use. No calibration easy to set pressure by sight or ruler.