Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Painting on Smooth Concrete Wall

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    snackysnack

Hi Wet Canvas!
        This is my first time posting. :clap:

I could use a little advice from some professionals. I’ve been doing murals for about 2 years, but the few that I’ve done (though very large) have been on standard interior walls. My latest job is on smooth interior concrete wall, and I am trying to find some information on how to prep and install the mural.

The client wants to keep the wall as is – with imperfections. The design is a map grid over top of the concrete with the concrete showing through. They want the paint to be translucent/thin in places, like the wall was painted a long time ago. Obviously no primer and the paint should soak in, no brush strokes. The concrete wall is very smooth. I’m concerned the paint will peel off and I’m also concerned if I do a wash of muriatic acid that it could damage the new flooring. I’ve tried to test on other samples, but all concrete I’ve found is rough and more akin to the kind you would find on the floor or on the sidewalk. So I havent been able to test yet on something with similar characteristics.

Does anyone have any experience with these materials? Any advice? Thank you!:crossfingers:

La_

I’m guessing that diluted paint would give you the effect you’re looking for. For an aged look you could even use full strength paint then sand it gently.
            As long as the wall is dust and oil free the paint should stick nicely, no acid necessary. latex paint tends to stick to anything.

la

Liquid acrylics is your best bet. I used them on Stucco and it covered very well on an exterior mural.Nut if the surface needs prep, it would be worth your while. You do have to charge for it handsomely.

Blumoon
            https://www.deborah-robinson.com/fine-art/
            https://www.facebook.com/DeborahRobinsonArtist/
            "Art is an outsider, a gypsy over the face of the earth." ~ Robert Henri

David Malan

I even don’t know much about it. But I would like to know more how does this one work? In the meantime I would like to inform you about gold coast concrete resurfacing if you need. Decorative concrete resurfacing with more than 15 years of experience. Delivering high quality workmanship with attention to detail in every project.

Mullanphy

Concrete is very acidic and should be sealed before painting.  Can be purchased at most hardware stores that sell paint.

Save lives, mask up. 😷

Stud

For the walls that look like concrete, I use a nice gray with only black and white, it’s really neutral and goes well with any color. If you start adding shades of color to gray, you will affect its relationship with other colors. About color combinations I read a good article here https://housekeepingbay.com/edgecomb-gray-by-benjamin-moore . This shade may seem like a perfect neutral, but don’t let it fool you.

Clean it, seal it, paint it.

It really is that simple. Although there are paints just for concrete that last for-almost-ever, the color range is abysmal, so using a sealer that will accept the paints you plan to use is probably the way to go. Then have fun painting the mural. :good:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.