WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Confused About Color Wheel

"Blue" is actually a recent invention. There are languages in which there is no distinction made between what we call "blue" and what we call "green".

Is green a "warm" color or a "cool" color? Most people would say red, yellow and orange are warm, blue is cool, but what about green and purple?

For an interesting experiment on color perception and psychology take the biggest box of crayons you can find, 64 colors or more, dump it out and ask someone to put them back in order. The same thing applies to how artists order their palettes. light to dark, warm to Coll, reds on the right or left? Lots of ways of doing it.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1
There were - and still are - many artists who use RYB color wheels (which don't specifically discern cyan and magenta), to create wonderful art from a RYB-based framework. There are advantages and disadvantages to any color model or palette choice. As the artist, you choose the tool that best suits your purpose.

Hah, yeah you are correct. However, it is some of those same artists who often ask the question why Blue and Red PAINT don't create the wonderfully clean "Purple", or "Violet" that they expect to achieve when they mix the two. Working with an incorrect color wheel can cause such a dilemma. In this case, the lack of Magenta on the color wheel is the perfect example.

Last edited by WFMartin : 09-13-2019 at 11:52 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 12:02 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCrow
"Blue" is actually a recent invention. There are languages in which there is no distinction made between what we call "blue" and what we call "green".

Is green a "warm" color or a "cool" color? Most people would say red, yellow and orange are warm, blue is cool, but what about green and purple?

For an interesting experiment on color perception and psychology take the biggest box of crayons you can find, 64 colors or more, dump it out and ask someone to put them back in order. The same thing applies to how artists order their palettes. light to dark, warm to Coll, reds on the right or left? Lots of ways of doing it.
The sky is blue and the grass is green.
Everyone Iíve ever known could see the difference.
This is very basic.
People may call different things the same name, but that doesnít mean they canít tell the difference.
We see millions of colors, obviously.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Southern NJ

Hails from United States

In Russia and some Slavic cultures there is light blue goluboy and dark blue siniy as separate distinct colors. Conversely, some cultures don't differentiate pink vs. red.

And the word pink used to be a shade of yellow. There is a theory that in Newton's time, the word blue referred to Cyan and indigo was our Blue (blue jeans dye blue), not the darker artists' Indigo. Hence its inclusion in the spectrum.

Going back to the Ancient Greeks, they saw and recognized the same colors as we do, but defined and described them in terms of value and chroma/brightness/saturation (to use Munsellish terminology) but not by hue. Homer's "wine-dark seas" were dark like wine, not the hue of wine. They sometimes conveyed the hue with a reference described by the object or a similar-colored object. The bear is not brown, brown is the color of a bear; bruin. Red is the color of blood; sanguine. That blue is the color of the sky; cerulean.

Last edited by Ted Bunker : 09-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2019, 02:05 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

My fascination with the color wheel has brought me to painting one.
I'm studying watercolor as well as oil painting, and a basic watercolor book I bought (an excellent one - Painting in Watercolor, the Indispensable Guide by David Webb) has painting the color wheel using only R, Y, and B primaries, as an exercise.

In my long time on planet earth, in many different disciplines (ex: judo, magic, juggling, salt water aquariums, classical guitar, golf, painting - I could go on and on); some I dabbled, and some I came even to near mastery - there's one thing I found out right at the beginning; when you're given an exercise, you can:
-skim it and ignore it;
-read, understand, digest, and reflect on, it;
-do it.

The last approach - or really the last 2 (one without the other is incomplete) - invariably produces the fastest and (more important) the most PERMANENT learning. Especially if you repeat it. And repeat it.

So, here's my color wheel. This is not my first attempt. It's my 5th. I'm still not satisfied at all, but each of the 5 were better than all the previous. It's hard. I'm a beginner. I tried doing each part of the pie as a flat wash gradient. Joining the segments was a problem. Getting even gradients was a problem. I tried and tried. The thing about watercolor - unlike oil - is, there is no redemption for even minor transgressions. Once you leave the path of righteousness, you're doomed no matter what you do after that.

I learned more about color mixing and flat wash gradients from doing this exercise 5 times, than I would have from spending 10 times longer just doing paintings.
Attached Images

Last edited by MarcF : 09-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

No purple on your color wheel - what red and blues did you use -- not the right ones evidently -- try cmy instead of rby.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM

Last edited by theBongolian : 09-15-2019 at 08:25 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:29 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I used pthalo blue (book said use cobalt which I did in earlier attempts) also cad red and cad yellow.
While I would not grade it an A, I would pass it. I also feel that I got the point of the lesson, without spending much more time. Eager to move on, which I already have.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Regardless of medium, Cadmium always tends to make mixes that are less vibrant secondaries due to the way it absorbs light. It is good for toning down colors in between and can produce a range of good oranges to yellow greens, but cannot move toward purples well because it has such an orange lean already. Try a Quinacridone Red (PR209 or PR177), both are better at making purples with Phthalo, though you may want to reach for a Red Shade version of Phthalo for that.

I find watercolor is far more forgiving than I was led to believe personally, but it requires appropriate handling and an understanding of how the medium is going to work... good watercolors makes a big difference as well (I think Cotmans are only decent and are much more difficult to handle than some M Graham or Daniel Smiths). In short, quality watercolor tools, paints, and surface make more of a difference to watercolor than in other media. It takes a lot of understanding of the different aspects of those elements to have good control (some watercolorist argue that one need not control the media and just adapt).

I could go into depth on watercolor at length, but I feel it better to merely suggest the understanding and allow you to experience it for yourself. Try different papers and paints, one may resonate better with you. Also, try wetting a paper both before applying paint and even try it after, different timings for added water and control of how much you are adding, when, how to actually apply it; All these variables matter to achieve the effects you may desire.

Delofasht
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF
My fascination with the color wheel has brought me to painting one.
Your first post was about a color wheel that one would make for light, which mixes differently than pigments.
The one that you have painted is a pigment mixing color wheel, with mixing complements opposite each other, which is the one that is useful for actual pigment mixing.