WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What type of easel do you use?
$1,000 plus - Hughes, Sanyi, Best 4 6.78%
$500 plus - high end, but not luxury or custom 5 8.47%
French easel - mostly for plein air painting 3 5.08%
$100 to $500 - average easel that can be found at most art supply stores 40 67.80%
Drafting table 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: What type of easel do you use, if any?

Howdy,

I build usually. I made a huge "guillitine" type with a drop "trap" that uses gravity to keep the canvas in place. I also made a "sawhorse" type with a wooden tray across the whole thing. It is great for wide work. I use an "H" type that I made out of 1" x 2" pine. I also have a used drafting table I stole off my son. A huge heavy wooden dining table of more than five foot by four foot is used for huge flat work. Throw in a couple of square dining tables and a folding "picnic" plastic table and I have enough surface and canvase easle!
later,
dan
tx
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 PM

I used to have a cheap wood easel I bought off a friend for $5. I ended up burning it for firewood for some reason. For a long time I would just prop my paintings up on something and lean them against the wall and just paint like that. Then I could sit while painting.

I got one of those collapsable segmented easils as a gift last year and I use that now. It's easy to transport and move around which is nice, but it's not very sturdy. Although I did just work on a 3'x4' painting on it last night and it didn't fall off, so it's works good enough I guess!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 AM

Hails from United States

I use a Windsor and Newton Shannon in my studio. It is an H-frame easel and pretty small but sturdy made of Oak. I have had it for probably 10 years now. I have really loved it. It replaced another rickety H frame I had since I was a teenager. I have often had small studios over the years and it fits very well and can fold flat. The main problem I had initially is that the bottom tray attaches to the mast so as you move it up the mast raises. It is not an issue on large and medium size canvases. When I work on small paintings the mast gets really high. I had a studio with a low ceiling and I could not raise it high enough some times. Other times it became ridiculous if I wanted to stand and paint. Fortunately shortly after I first got it I thought to write to Winsor and Newton. I explained my problem and ask them for if I could buy another top support and so use one upside down so I wouldn't be limited. They sent me one for free right away!

I occasionally lust over the big expensive easels but I love the small sturdy efficient Shannon.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

Like many of the others who answered I have several "easels" a portable that when I added a block of wood to my art table fits without using the back leg, thus freeing up floor space, a re-purposed podium salvaged from a church that is a great height for painting while standing but its limited in canvas sizes, an 8' folding ladder with a 4' square of plywood and a ledge that gets clamped in place, various tables and several types and sizes of "lap easels" one is a large wood drawing board, an approx 30"sq Masonite clip board and several pieces of rigid vinyl sign board recycled from an event @ the humane society. Each have their own strengths and weakness depending on what I'm working on. I'm not sure the easel has an effect on the art but they can have an effect on the artists comfort which in turn could effect the work
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Cool Re: What type of easel do you use, if any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealey
Hi, I am wondering what types of easels people are using and if you think it makes a difference. In other words, if you have a great easel that is expensive, does it make painting easier, or have you not noticed a difference?

I made my own easel, it's not hard and it's cheaper.
It is made of solid oak. When retracted, it's about 62" high. It comes with three movable sections so that when fully extended it can reach as high as 12'. I kind of overdid the extension bit because I have never painted on a 12' canvas. The raising and lowering of the extensions is made by an attached marine wench, cable and pullies. The tilting of the upright posts are done by a threaded rod with a hand crank. Then I have a hinged, drop-down board that can be used as a drawing table that can be adjusted to any height, using the marine wench. This is good for sit-down painting or drawing. You'll never see this easel in any store and it's far more versatile as well.
I wish I could show you a photo but I'm not computer proficient where I know how to do it.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Florida, USA

Hails from United States

I have had several Easels. For my studio, I built a Large Oak H-frame easel that looks like a Best Sante Fe Easel. Too big to move around, but a super stable heavy easel for almost any sized work. It has a 8" deep x 36" wide tray for a pallet, and 2 - 1 qt stainless containers for my brushes and Spirits. But it weighs close to 100lbs. Nice if you leave it in one area.

I have a french easel I take to demonstrations and Plein Air sittings. Don't think it would make a good studio easel.

I have a Shannon H-Frame easel that suits most of my needs. Heavy enough for Med-Large work, and light enough to move around the room.

I have several 3-legged adjustable tubular aluminum easels that weigh about 2-3 lbs. and have a cross brace you can set your paint box or pallet on. My students use them.

I have a convertible "Mirage" easel I bought for my Significant Other. H-frame, smaller, and not as stable as a Shannon easel, but the work area folds horizontally if you do watercolors. It has wheels and only weighs 22 lbs. It can be folded flat (4-1/2" thick) for storage.

You'll find most (not all) serious artists have 2 easels. One for studio, and one for travel.

It all depends on how much room you have, how big you will work, and where you do your painting, obviously. Good luck.
In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 PM
artyczar

Back to say I am loving my Sanyi Pro4.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Citizen of the World. Lisbon, Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I use an easel fixed on the wall.
Just two vertical metal railway like thing with two slidding up and down brackets, with a pulley system like the Sorg easel.
With two fingers you can raise or lower your painting surface, without taking it out of either bracket.
Works great!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 AM
California

Hails from United States

ddattler, I am interested in that Creative Mark "Mirage All Media" easel you say that you have. I noticed one reviewer complained that she could not sit at the easel to paint because she could not lower the canvas far enough. Have you found that to be true, or is the reviewer maybe overlooking an adjustment someplace? The easel is currently on sale for $130 at ASW Express (with $7.95 flat rate shipping!). It is out of stock until May 28, but that's not a problem for me.
Karen
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM

I'm not using one right now - my french easel is too rickety. I've taken to setting the canvas on the floor and sitting on the floor to paint it. It's not that comfortable, so I'm planning on purchasing a convertible easel so I can sit in a chair and paint horizontally.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast
Kentucky

Hails from United States

My easel

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Deluxe-Ea...0845752&sr=8-1
Lend your ear to music, open your eyes to painting, and… stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to “walk about” into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want? -KANDINSKY, 1910-
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 AM

I have been in the market for an easel for a while. I am trying to decide which plein air easel to pick up. So many options to consider. I also noticed a ton of options on Dick Blick too...so could definitely appreciate your feedback.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2019, 03:25 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmark989
I have been in the market for an easel for a while. I am trying to decide which plein air easel to pick up. So many options to consider. I also noticed a ton of options on Dick Blick too...so could definitely appreciate your feedback.
The place to ask about plein- air easels would be the plein air forum. But I can tell you what I've found from my limited experience. I have a french easel, and a Mabef m27 field easel. If you go with a Mabef get the M27 Mini - it's not actually "mini" and it corrects a lot of the design flaws of the M27.

I also have several pochade box and tripod type set-ups I made myself. This imo is the way to go, either making it yourself or buying a ready-made. I would suggest the type with the palette hanging on the tripod, rather than the type where the pocade box attaches to the top of the tripod.

I suggest that you look at people painting plein air on you tube. that way you can see the equipment in action and not just a picture in a catalogue.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Dad retired and was getting bored, so I gave him a picture of an easel and asked him to make me one. He did and I have used it ever since. Dad's gone now but the easel is made of sturdy stuff and will be with me for a long time. Wish I could tell him how much I have enjoyed it.