Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Watercolour with Wow online course ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Debx

Hi
        Has anyone tried this course by Anna Mason yet ?… if so what did you think did you gain lots from it?.* I personally I’m torn between trying Anna’s course but I really like Billy Showell who offers almost identical course content/cost ? They both are incredible artists and both inspire me lots,* however I thought I would see if anyone has tried either of these courses and give me their verdict as they work in very different ways as well but again I like both their styles… Hoping for some replies as I am really torn about who to choose! Also both Artist’s are promoting their own range of products , paints etc to run with the course which is quite pricey but I would aim to build up over a bit of time if I get the results and knowledge I need. Thanks for any thoughts. I hope ive posted in the right place :confused:

Is it Friday yet????:clap:

Irishman

Having a Billy Showell book here and having borrowed the Anna Mason book from the library,my preference if I were to take tuition from either of these ladies,would be to take classes with Billy.As for paints and brushes, this is an endless debate really.Some can see the benefits,others not so.Myself,having been there and worn the t shirt(which is in the drawer with all the other t shirts)I would check the prices of the artist’s paints against the likes of W&N,Schminke and DS and then make your decision.Beware though,when last I looked,both of these ladies use pigments that are of very questionable lightfastness,particularly the dreaded Opera, and although the painting will look great initially,there is no doubt that it will fade in the places where for example Opera is used !Hope this helps

Larry

charliez
                Debx

Thanks, thats the problem they are both excellent! I have both their books and Anna brushes are winging there way to me for xmas. I suppose it comes down to teaching style… thanks for your replies its always nice to hear other peoples views. I have been on both their sites and they do seem like good value except Anna’s paints cost £120 for her set. Ill have to use what I have for now until I can build up my collection. I do think I prefer Billy’s teaching style :)

querin

I’m taking a course now with Billy more botanical style,i prefer hers to Anna which is good also i have seen the free demos,Anna’s not my style,i like working wet in wet,another one which i find even better Jaqueline Gnott,her videos are much longer ,some are as long as 2 hours plus very good value and complete paintings they are about the same price,you could do several months each,then decide
                        Regarding the pigments i check the list see what the pigment numbers are as many are the same but are called different names by different brands.
                        I do like Billy’s brushes amazing points
                        Querin

Aderynglas

What you need to decide is which way you prefer to work, they are basically opposites :wink2: Do you prefer to wet the paper and drop colour in to start with, or do you prefer to start painting with dry paper ?

Billy would encourage you to paint from life, whilst Anna uses photographs.

Billy uses a limited palette and you would learn to mix the colours you need, Anna uses twice as many colours.

With both artists, you don’t have to have their paints and brushes to be able to paint their way. If you look at the colours in your own collection (look at the pigments, not the colour names ;-) ) you may find you have some or all of them already or ones that would work just as well.

If you’re just starting out, Billy’s paintbox (Sennelier) is very good value for money, since the tubes are 10ml. The only colour I would change is the Alizarin Crimson Lake (PR83) which is fugitive. I’d replace it with PR177 – Anthraquinoid Red, I use Turner’s Watercolour for this, simply because it was cheap to try, and I’ve found it a really good watercolour. I’m now trying a few more of the Turner watercolours, just to see how they perform :)

Hope this helps some?

Debx

Thanks, I didnt realise about pigments either (inexperienced ) I like the Sennelier paints in fact I think Anna Mason Is switching to them. I am using cotman for the moment but will change as I go along to artist quality as they cost so much more. I will check out Jacqueline Gnott as well. I think I do prefer a slightly looser style wet in wet and colourful backgrounds. I ordered some good all rounder brushes by Fiona Peart and was amazed at the difference as Ive only been using cheap brushes up to now with non existent points! I am so pleased that I have been given some really good advice here… it has really helped. Im definitely leaning towards Billy’s classes.

querin

Just a note the Billy’s palette sennelier alizarin crimson is a mix of pr209 +py83 +.pr179 all permanent.

Debx

Thanks again for all your advice :wave:

LinnH

I signed up for Anna Masons class in december but I haven’t had a lot of time to do the exercises yet. Some of her videos are of paintings that she has featured in her book with the same title as her school but she also offers new motives and every month she also post a reference image without a tutorial where you can give it a go. It is a nice treat since you get two new updates each month. I hope to be able to paint more when my studies are over. I hope you are happy with what you decided to take :)

pumkin54

I love Billy Showell and subscribed to her site. I had to cancel due to financial restraints, but I would resubscribe in a second. You get two new videos a month and after 6 months get access to the older videos (I think). She provides the reference photo and line drawing of the painting she’s demonstrating. She mixes all of her colors, so you will learn about that. She says phooey to convention about mixing and will toss in whatever colors she needs to get what she wants. She’s also a fun teacher. I learned a lot from her and admire her immensely. If you look on the Painting & Drawing Channel on YouTube they sometimes post snippets from some of her older DVD’s. They rotate the videos they make available, so you might have to wait for them to come back around.

Personally, Anna Mason’s style isn’t too appealing to me, simply because it seems to take forever. Tiny brushes, large paintings and lots of tiny strokes. She also does primarily wet on dry. I love wet on wet. It’s one of the reasons I love watercolor, watching the paint swoosh onto the paper! She’s amazing though and I do plan to buy her book someday soon.

As for their signature brushes, the brushes Anna Mason uses also aren’t appealing to me. She uses short rounds, which fits her style but not mine. But who knows? Maybe they’re nice to paint with.

I was in love with Billy Showell’s brushes and actually considered buying them (all the way from the UK!). Instead I did some research, after noticing that they looked like Raphael brushes (size, shape, painting/lacquering). I found that the Raphael 8408 is the brush she uses or extremely close to it. It’s called the Extra Pointed Round[/URL] and you can buy it from Dick Blick for a slightly painful price (at least for me). I waited for one of their 20% off deals or something. I love them and think they’re totally worth the investment. I got a 6 and 8 btw, although Billy uses primarily 4 and 6.

Billy’s signature paint is just Sennelier and you can easily find out what her color palette is. Beware that in her videos she does sometimes use fugitive colors, namely Opera Rose and Rose Madder Lake (I think). I haven’t researched the specific pigments Sennelier uses in those colors though, so maybe the Sennelier versions aren’t genuine and are fine.

[FONT=Century Gothic] pumk[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]i[/B][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]n [FONT=Century Gothic]
                                                Instagram | DeviantArt | Twitter

[/B][/COLOR]

cacosta

Those who watched Billy’s videos did you see a close captioned option offered? YouTube has those built in their videos now, I contacted Billy about this since I can’t follow a video without captions and they told me they don’t have captions so I was wondering if somehow the captions are available possibly automatically (not perfect word for word) but still better than nothing. Thanks!

pherank

As for their signature brushes, the brushes Anna Mason uses also aren’t appealing to me. She uses short rounds, which fits her style but not mine. But who knows? Maybe they’re nice to paint with.

I was in love with Billy Showell’s brushes and actually considered buying them (all the way from the UK!). Instead I did some research, after noticing that they looked like Raphael brushes (size, shape, painting/lacquering). I found that the Raphael 8408 is the brush she uses or extremely close to it. It’s called the [URL=http://www.dickblick.com/products/raphael-kolinsky-red-sable-extra-pointed-round/]Extra Pointed Round[/URL] and you can buy it from Dick Blick for a slightly painful price (at least for me). I waited for one of their 20% off deals or something. I love them and think they’re totally worth the investment. I got a 6 and 8 btw, although Billy uses primarily 4 and 6.

The Billy Showell brushes are indeed manufactured by Raphaël. But price-wise, it is a much better deal to buy her 3 brush set (which includes the lovely “eradicator” synthetic brush for approximately $43 US Dollar) from Jackson’s in the UK:

https://www.jacksonsart.com/search/?q=billy%20showell

A single Raphaël 8408 pointed round, Size 6, is $48 on Dick Blick. But, Jackson’s has the Billy Showell brushes on back-order. Billy Showell’s SHOP page also shows that the brush set is on back-order. I imagine that the holiday season accounts for a lot of brush sales.

I’ve ordered various brushes from Rosemary and Co. and Jackson’s (both in England) and I’ve yet to have a real problem receiving goods in a timely manner.

edmund ronald

This thread is unexpectedly interesting.

I always grab a Schmincke box rather than my goto Sennelier when I go to a park, partly because their earthtones and greens seem to be brilliant, and now I saw that Billy’s Sennelier set has no convenience greens ?! so I guess she really teaches students how to mix greens.

Also these really interesting extra-pointed rounds …

The books are cheap.

this forum is full of unexpected pointers.

I’d like to see a video of how Billy does the greens.

Edmund

My virtual sketchbook, one a day https://www.instagram.com/edmundronald/

edmund ronald

I have taken out the zero-dollar membership to Billy Showell’s site, and that gives me access to a large archive of videos FOR FREE.

My advice would be to do the same, work through some of the videos and see whether this painting approach is for you. I wouldn’t be able to complete a single flower with this painstaking detail before throwing my paint kit iin the trash, but then I did complete a degree in maths and most painters I know tend to dislike intricate calculations, so to each his own.

However I do find the Billy Showell videos make good interstitial watching and I love her brushes; her paints are the same I use for everything.

Edmund

My virtual sketchbook, one a day https://www.instagram.com/edmundronald/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.