WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Leeds, England

Hails from England
Non-water based clay soft enough to press objects into and use as mould

Hi

I've done a few experiments in the past where I pressed objects into clay and then poured alpha plaster into the impression to get a casting. The main problem is the mess. I live in a shared house and there isn't much room. Also having to go through the process of making clay workable again when it dries out is a pain.

I'm wondering if anybody knows an oil based clay that you could use this process with. Would Monster Clay Soft do it? I can't really find any videos of anybody demonstrating the soft version of Monster Clay to come to a conclusion on it but I don't really want to spend £35 on something I probably wont use if it doesn't solve this problem.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 09:47 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: Non-water based clay soft enough to press objects into and use as mould

Sculpey (the white kind) is very soft once you condition it by running it through a pasta machine (without the cutters) or work it with your hands. It's a polymer clay and will harden eventually, but if you get a fresh batch, it should work. It's made to be used by children, so it's pretty soft. I think an oil-based clay (plastilene) might stick to your model more than Sculpey would. Hope this helps!