Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives The 11th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 432 total)
  • Author
    kevinwueste

The 11th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!
        Here forthwith are the 2014 Holiday Pairings ! Thank you again everyone for signing up! I know everyone is looking forward to getting started – the key – is to enjoy the process and the results and have fun! (OK that’s “keys” plural.. )..

A little background on the “how” of matching: The pairings were made this year using the rand() function again via Microsoft Excel. I had Excel generate random numbers for each swap member; I then sorted one half randomly, then sorted the other half randomly and then matched the two halves again – randomly. If there is a mistake – please let me know via PM and I will do my best to help! I have a back-up painter ( me) if we need one – if others would like to volunteer please PM me or post here! I worked to accomodate locale requests but they may not be perfect ( as well as suitably random). I appreciate your flexibility!

This year we would really like it if you would share your Works-in-Progress ( W.I.P’s) and finals here and a “selfie” ( portrait of you and your new painting) upon receipt!). Please post at least your final work and a photo of you and your new painting when you receive it! Please be sure to thank your partner for their hard work! :clap: Remember the goal is to have these complete and on their way by the first week in December. So get your photos sent as soon as you are able! ( via personal email ).

and now..

the list:

Please note that your partner is to the left -or right and on the same row as you. Example – MaryinAsia (USA) and Shubert ( USA) are partners – and so on. ( sorry for the spoiler!) for the rest – the drum roll.. dldldldldldldldldldldldld

Please read: I hope you are are excited to get going! Now – on to getting photos that match the type and quality listed at the beginning of the Announcement thread – shot and off to your swap partner. I suggest you send several images of yourself ( get some help with the shooting part please!) and make sure you follow the directions. These are best sent via your email and not through the pm system ( size limitations).

Your partner should NOT get snapshot-quality images – they should be carefully lit photos with no flash, no direct,frontal lighting and several image options for them to consider! If you do not send good reference images, your partner may ask for good form-light and shadows so they have something clear to draw or paint. I suggest you set exposure compensation/Exposure Adjustment to minus .7 or minus 1 to ensure no blown-out lights as well!

Thank you everyone again for joining in this our biggest year and well – here we go!!

-Kevin and the portraiture team

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
        "kevinwueste" on instagram

OK

PM sent to Lawrence :), having done a number of swaps I’m always surprised that I always get a new partner. Has any one ever been matched up with an old friend?

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

xislandman

Kevin… not sure how to contact my partner. Also my user name is xislandman… not Xislanderman

...dennis
                http://DennisMarshallArtist.blogspot.com/ - '...and the lie faded into history and became the truth.'

kevinwueste

@Dave, I have worked hard to keep them new – but the longer we do these the more the chance will be for a repeat. Everything is scrambled based on the random function ( my little invention for this effort to make it chance-based). I tweak for people that request locale partners..

@Dennis (xislandman), – uh – yeah – my mistake – I am sorry! I hand wrote my list in Excel – but I am pretty sure nothing broke due to midnight typing! You are entitled to a full refund for my sadly lacking volunteer efforts at any time – please see management!:thumbsup: Bhavani – I also got your name wrong in Excel – apologies!

The suggestion is to begin the process with a PM, in your case – to IndianaKate, then to share actual email so you can send higher resolution images. I mostly use dropbox.com ( free) to share hi res images with people these days ( suggestion for folks here if they take, and post high quality photographs for the swap references).

PS I have a back-up member if anyone falls out – or if anyone would like to do two swaps – contact me via PM.

Have FUN!

Kevin

Have fun! Kevin

Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis

dollardays

Thank you for initiating the thread year after year, keeping the tradition alive and getting those parings done almost instantaneously, Kevin! You are awesome!. And it is apparently a thankless job for the most part. LOL

My partner, Stapeliad (Jessica) and I have been in touch and we will post some progress pics in the thread when we have something to show. I am sure no one can beat Dave (Journeyman) to the drawing board but we will all try anyway. :)

kevinwueste

Thank you for initiating the thread year after year, keeping the tradition alive and getting those parings done almost instantaneously, Kevin! You are awesome!. And it is apparently a thankless job for the most part. LOL

My partner, Stapeliad (Jessica) and I have been in touch and we will post some progress pics in the thread when we have something to show. I am sure no one can beat Dave (Journeyman) to the drawing board but we will all try anyway. :)

Nora – you are quite welcome and I am happy to help/volunteer. You are quite right – it is, often, thankless but, the pay more than makes up for it.. oh- wait that’s right volunteers do things for free.. what was I thinking ??!! @#%@#$@#

Dave might have a slight advantage given he is likely waking up right about Midnight West Coast (USA) time when I post!! I look forward to seeing all the results – I know you will have a blast with Miss Stapleford!

Thinky

Kevin, I agree with Nora, you are awesome. I like the way you write the instructions with humor and clarity, and make the atmosphere fun and exciting. :thumbsup: :clap: It sure is amazing that you take time to organize this every year.

kevinwueste

Kevin, I agree with Nora, you are awesome. I like the way you write the instructions with humor and clarity, and make the atmosphere fun and exciting. :thumbsup: :clap: It sure is amazing that you take time to organize this every year.

Thank you Thinky! I would change my use name to “Kinky” in honor of your nice note or “Kollardays” in honor of Nora – but people might not understand!

Cheers,

Kevin

LGHumphrey

Pope Journeyman the First.

Lawrence Humphrey
                                        Torrelles, Spain

Crystal1

Well, you’re the first, and I guess Journeyman is too. What a great portrait–I recognized him right away! Congratulations.

kevinwueste

Lawrence is the king of speed ! And excellent paintings too!

Kevin

OK

Here is a quick pencil sketch of the speedy Lawrence from the newly honoured Pope :D

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                                    — Allen Ginsberg
                                                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                                                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

beetee

Kevin I have PMed you,
                                                        Sorry in advance for the hassle I have caused.
                                                        Cheers
                                                        Brian

C & C most welcome!
                                                        Brian.

Netty

Yes. I agree, a big thank you to Kevin for making this possible each year. I was looking forwards to this time as I missed last years.

Lawrence, I always love your portraits, they are full of life, colour and sometimes are slightly mischievous :) great portrait…always love your different interpretations, I think one year you painted quite a few with a quirky angle, lol…

Beautiful sketch Dave, you guys are quick!

Netty ...... Beauty for ashes... The oil of joy for mourning...True Peace....
                                                            https://www.instagram.com/nettykozlovsky/

LGHumphrey

Oh my gosh, Dave, every year I get older and older. Will this never stop?

Lawrence Humphrey
                                                                Torrelles, Spain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 432 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.