Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing replacing Ultramarine Blue with Anthraquinone Blue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Patrick1

Has anyone tried replacing Ultramarine Blue with Indanthrone/Anthraquinone Blue PB60? I mean replacing, not supplementing.

My thinking is that I rarely use Ultramarine Blue full strength (even for skies I usually find it too saturated), so there will be less dulling-down to always do, and PB60 also offers greater value range – its masstone is virtually black. For similar reasons, I’ve come to often prefer a deep crimson over a high-chroma rose or magenta. Or is PB60 too dull (by itself and in mixes) to replace Ultramarine?

Mythrill

Hi, Patrick,

Indanthrone Blue (PB 60) is indeed desaturated. So, I would believe you can’t use it on its own to replace Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) entirely. However, I don’t know exactly how you work.

Of course, getting the values right is always more important. So even if your blue is desaturated, you should still be able to get something very nice if you get all the values accurately. So I think you should do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Patrick1

Yeah – it’s mainly the chroma/saturation that I’m wondering about. When I had it a few years ago (Golden Fluids) I actually found its saturation to be moderately high, except in tints with white, in which it greyed down quite a bit to a smoky blue (I saved my test swatches for permanent reference). Suffice to say, I was and still am enthralled by PB60.

For me, blues (or at least violet-blues) are probably the least important color to have at high chroma. Since nobody seems to use PB60 as their sole violet-blue, I’ll re-phrase my question:

Does anybody here use Indanthrone/Anthraquinone Blue at all, and why do you like (or dislike) it and what do you use it for? It seems it would be a great landscape blue.

Harold Roth

I love indanthrone blue and have been using it as my main blue for several years. I created a limited palette out of it, plus its cousin anthraquinone red (PR177), azo yellow (PY150), benzimidazolone orange (PO62), raw umber, and yellow ochre, plus the two whites. I can make pretty much anything with these.

I recently switched mediums from acrylics and used oils and now homemade casein. In both I started out with ultramarine blue but switched quickly back to indanthrone blue. After all this time, ultramarine blue just looks insipid in comparison. And yes, indanthrone blue en masse is almost black and with raw umber makes wonderful black and with orange can create wonderful greys for clouds. I find it’s an excellent sky color or for water, and it’s good thinned to make shadows and modeling. It just has great character.

Harold Roth

Btw, I don’t know which medium you are using, but since I began making my own paints, I found out that indanthrone blue comes in a red shade and green shade just like phthalo blue. I have been really enjoying exploring these new shades.

http://www.guerrapaint.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=indanthrone

Contrary to accepted wisdom, I suggest Anthraquinone Blue (or Indanthrone) isn’t necessarily as desaturated as all that. :)

In my experience, in watercolor tube paint, Indanthrone can be rather well saturated, depending on the brand. Handprint.com does confirm what others (above) have already stated, that the pigment PB60 (Indanthrone or Indanthren or Indanthrene or Anthraquinone Blue) is less saturated than PB29 (Ultramarine Blue). And I don’t disagree, pigment per pigment, PB60 is probably less saturated than PB29, yup, no need to question that.

But my personal tube of PB60, Daniel Smith Indanthrone Blue, is EXTREMELY highly saturated and produces a very dark deep rich color. Plus, the pigment PB60 doesn’t granulate the same way that PB29 does (as we are all familiar, I’m sure) which actually means it’s a bit more free to remain deeper and darker. It doesn’t clump together into smaller granules like PB29; consequently, at any given point, the PB60 is 100% of itself, rather than either a clump of itself or a paler gap between clumps.

It’s just an eye thing. Can’t claim it’s scientific. When I paint the two next to each other, I can see what the scientists would mean to indicate, by the fact that PB29 is more saturated than PB60; but I also see what looks like the ultimate effect of one brand name (Daniel Smith) overwhelming the general scientific theory with a specific result in practice, by which PB60 actually looks darker than some PB29s.

Also, “darker” and “more intense” are really not synonyms for one another. So I’m not entirely sure that I’ve expressed myself as clearly as I might have done. Eh … Might try to post pics, if I can get to a scanner or camera later …

-----
                        Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

Patrick1

Harold, nice to hear a few others are finding the value in PB60 as a main blue. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more artists using at as a viable alternative to Ultramarine Blue. Clifton, Golden’s PB60 has noticeably darker masstone color than any other Ultramarine I’ve ever used – for me this is one of its best traits – it can reach into the low values in color space that Ultramarine can’t. However Golden’s seems no more violet than Ultramarine Blue – when I buy another PB60 I want the most violet brand, whichever it happens to be.

Harold Roth

Hi, Patrick – I love the stuff. :)
                                Clifton – I sat there wondering how indanthrone blue could be considered to have less intensity than ultramarine, but your connection of it to granulation makes a lot of sense to me.

steve.sens

i like a mix of Anthraquinone with Pthalo Blue GS with a touch of orange and white for a generic sky blue color. This is in both Acrylic (golden) and oils (Gamblin). I never use it in wc because of how much the value shifts when dry. It seems more on the drastic side to me.

cb3

Oh Great — thanks, now I have to try it. :lol:

Indanthrone Blue looks like a beautiful night ski color.

Seems like I remember one of the major US oil paint companies trying to discontinue it, only to have customers ask for it to stay. Small, but loyal following.

kailavmp

I love indanthrone blue and use it often. I prefer it over ultra, but I do keep both on my palette. As was said, it significantly limits subtle colors you can mix. Here: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21093643&postcount=54 both cards used pbr41, yellow ochre and white… Left one + ultra, right one + indanthrone blue. The left one has a bunch of tones that were just impossible to mix with indanthrone, despite losing tons of quality by scanning.

-Petra
                                            Beware: poor English skills are compensated by abundancy of words.
                                            Painting mostly animal ACEO/ATC and minis in watercolor, lurking around the miniature forums.
                                            Comments and critiques welcome and strongly appreciated, unless stated otherwise.

Also, I just love pronouncing the word “in DAN throne.” It sounds like a Mardi Gras parade … or the bad guy in a James Bond movie. :)

-----
                                            Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

Pinguino

Using oils, a few months ago, I replaced Ultramarine Blue (UB) with Indanthrone Blue (IB), and I love it. At least in Gamblin brand, the hues are about the same (leans slightly purple). The IB is moderately transparent (not as much as UB), and of course there is a huge difference in chroma and masstone darkness.

In that brand of oils, Raw Umber (RU) is an excellent mixing complement for either UB or IB. When mixing to near (but not at) neutral, the advantage goes to IB, since its lower chroma balances the low chroma of RU on the opposite side.

Skies look good mixed with IB, RU, white, and a touch of Phthalo Blue (Green Shade) to move the hue away from purple. The RU reduces overall chroma.

IB is especially effective when adding shadows.

Anonymous

Both ultramarine and anthraquinone are transparent if that matters.

Richard P

Isn’t PB60 less lightfast than PB29?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.