WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
NH

Hails from United States
Re: High and Low for Amber Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyneth
Anyone know anything about a "color shifting" lavendar/blue/pink? Now THAT I would be interested in.

Thanks,
Betsey

It's all color shifting - under incandescent light it looks more pink and under fluorescent it looks blue. All the lavenders do it - it's a propery of the neodimyum - the metal that colors the glass lavender.

Beads are gypsies: glittering, magical, and primitive hitchhikers. You slow down to take a look, and they attach themselves to your soul.
-Carolyn Manzi, Bead Power

LabyrinthBeads on ebay
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Ferguson, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton
Has anyone tried mixing it themselves?? Maybe a little lt amber and lt pink??
I haven't done it, but I bet it could be done for a fraction of the cost since it was an odd lot and very scarce.

Yes, I did just that! I think I mixed amber and gold pink, and also trans pink and amber. Both looked very good. Lovely on opal yellow.

I have also heard that vetrofond lavender blue looks like amber rose after it has been made into beads.

BTW, I recently bought some chardonnay from this seller and I found her to be very nice too. I was happy with my purchase. I just don't want to pay that much for amber rose, even though I would love to have some. I never did get any of it. It was available when I was buried in my teaching and I didn't know about it.

-Patti
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Ferguson, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton
Hmmmm. I haven't mixed transparents so I don't know, but there just has to be a way to do it ourselves. Figuring out streaky pink has been on my to do list, so maybe I'll add this one too

I mixed streaky pink too...try gold pink with dk pink opaque. Looks just like it. Just don't mix too much; leave streaky.

Lessee...I think I also tried it with the pale pink opaque...now that I think about it, I think that was the combination that looked the most like streaky pink. And the dk pink opaque/gold pink combo was very pretty too; just more purplish. Yeah, that's the ticket! I couldn't tell my mix apart from the few stringers of streaky pink that I had.

I had posted about it a couple of months ago.

-Patti
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Enthusiast
Annapolis, Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT
It's all color shifting - under incandescent light it looks more pink and under fluorescent it looks blue. All the lavenders do it - it's a propery of the neodimyum - the metal that colors the glass lavender.

Also if you put it under a diode light it turns a really really BRIGHT TURQUOISE! The diode lights are the new electrical light rage, showing up in all cool places - they have that style on the rear view mirror of my convertible as a map light or interior light. A friend has one on his laptop to illminate the keyboard if you're making a presentation in a dark hall. Anyways, I have this dangle thing on my purse and one night in the car I noticed the color shift. It's the coolest thing. I've dragged friends out to sit in my car at night just to see the glass color change. ~Juliet
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Coastal South Carolina

Hails from United States

Oh man!! You can roadtrip while you enjoy beads...sounds like a double-your-pleasure situation!!

I just had to tell someone. I finally managed to get a class in beads. I have been trying to find a good teacher for sometime. As many of you might know, I tried to set up Jennifer Geldard to teach here in Michigan, and in fact, I believe she did arrange to come to Detroit to teach, while I was staying on the West Coast!! So that was a strike out for me, personally...but, at long last, I have signed up for Tink's class in vessels and hollows in Toledo. I don't really know any other beadmakers and there is no guild in my area so I basically wing it with the help of the various forums and books available. But a class, at last!! Woo-Hoo!!

leebeads.etsy.com
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2004, 12:06 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

That's so cool!!! And it's only about five weeks away! Weeeeee!!!!!!!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
oregon coast

Hails from United States

Front four small pink beads, On the right is my blend and the left is ORIGINAL amber rose, both etched. I can't tell the difference but I labled them before going in kiln.
Attached Images

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Coastal South Carolina

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeads
Front four small pink beads, On the right is my blend and the left is ORIGINAL amber rose, both etched. I can't tell the difference but I labled them before going in kiln.

Beautiful match! And that was 1 part light lavendar Blue and 1 part light amber, right? I'm going to try that!!

Thank you to everyone for your input on finding, mixing and using Amber Rose. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful and supportive this group can be!

leebeads.etsy.com
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Coastal South Carolina

Hails from United States

Yea! WooHoo!!!

I just bought some Amber Rose! Now I just need some time to play! Any tips for handling? White core, encased? Etch or not? Boy, I can't wait!!

I did buy some from CRLoo but it was not amber rose, in fact, I think it was 81 instead of 82. So I have a bunch of lavendar...well, spring is coming...but I am set at last.

Thanks everybody, for all your generosity and help!! After I finish Tink's class in January, I'm going to make an amber rose vessel!! If I figure out how to put pics on here, I'll post one when I have something to share!

leebeads.etsy.com
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Texas Big bend

Hails from United States

Guess it pays to be a dingbat.I've been following this thread for awhile and someone finally posted color numbers rather than names like amber rose.I've got two batches(not for sale)of 082 .The first from arrow springs is thin and to the lavender side.The second is thick and as it only has a hand written tag is likely from Delphi.That batch is definitely to the rose side of the spectrum.Also,found some streaky pink.I'm glad to find them but even happier to try mixing the combos as has been suggested.Roger.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Exeter, NH

Hails from United States

Oh, don't worry Roger. I happen to love dingbats I just want to know why I now have fallen into the "I want what I can't have" hole. I know better, yet I'm still cruising ebay for amber rose. But, then I'm a color freak. I use to have as many different color films for all the nuances they possessed. Now I just want to own every shade of glass available just in case I need it, lol.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Texas Big bend

Hails from United States

I too want every color available,Suzy,as well as those that aren't.Lately I've been making some really wierd twisties by dumping out my frit/junk jar and melting up the odd colors into wonky outrageous color combos.Not straight enough for complex controlled patterns but great for little beads made of pure twisties.The frit/junk jar is filled with popped off pieces,fractured rods and such.Just can't throw em away!I get rid of the really dark stuff as it overpowers the odd designs.Roger.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
oregon coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon
Yea! WooHoo!!!

I just bought some Amber Rose! Now I just need some time to play! Any tips for handling? White core, encased? Etch or not? Boy, I can't wait!!

I did buy some from CRLoo but it was not amber rose, in fact, I think it was 81 instead of 82. So I have a bunch of lavendar...well, spring is coming...but I am set at last.

Thanks everybody, for all your generosity and help!! After I finish Tink's class in January, I'm going to make an amber rose vessel!! If I figure out how to put pics on here, I'll post one when I have something to share!
Kaye makes some killer beads using raku frit, and I like it mostly on top of white then decorated, or as etched spacers.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:07 AM

Hails from Abu Dhabi

I am interested in trading 4 rods of Amber Rose for 4 rods of Rubino Oro. I was going to do 3 rods for 4 rods, but the 3 of the rods are slightly used. The measurements for the rods are (13 1/20"),(11 11/20"),(12"),(11 10/20") Let me know if you are interested. Thanks
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 AM

Hails from Abu Dhabi

I already have someone who will trade with me. Sorry I didn't have more to go around. Thanks, Barbie